Sign in to follow this  
pkofman

enroute flight plan

good morning allI wonder what the best procedure is for the followingSay im flying enroute vfr, and I want to set up a mid flight ifr routing on the fmcWhat do i use as the DEPT fix. ( or can i ignore that on the fmc). Do I set my current position as the dept fix ( ie create a fix at my current location and then program as normal). What would the proper procedure be for this. Thank youPeterPeter K P.EngCF-MMZToronto Ontario CanadaPMDG 747,737and 747FLevel D 767PSS Airbus pro A340-300In reality, a Mooney 201 Pilot

I believe the "best" would be to use the FMC to program the VFR flight and then make any changes required to the route to comply with the IFR pickup. The FMC is provides V-speeds, thrust limits, etc., important to operation of the aircraft regardless of flight rules.All flights in the US above 18,000 must be on an IFR flight plan. I assume Canadian aviation rules are very similar. All commercial carriers carrying passengers must be on an IFR flight plan regardless of altitude. Your VFR/IFR issue is not a realistic scenario.

Dan Downs KCRP

>I believe the "best" would be to use the FMC to program the>VFR flight and then make any changes required to the route to>comply with the IFR pickup. The FMC is provides V-speeds,>thrust limits, etc., important to operation of the aircraft>regardless of flight rules.>>All flights in the US above 18,000 must be on an IFR flight>plan. I assume Canadian aviation rules are very similar. All>commercial carriers carrying passengers must be on an IFR>flight plan regardless of altitude. Your VFR/IFR issue is not>a realistic scenario.>Ok you are 100% correct, what I was trying to ask is really this.Lets say I take off , no particular flight plan ( free flight ). lets forget about the rules for a second.I just want to know if it is possible to start an ifr flight plan from any random point, i.e, Im flying along and decide to file. I know it is not realistic but the thing about the fms is that I think it requires a start point, or can i just insert legs and lsk the first waypoint, enter a destination and it will work. Now i suppose i could create a fix at my current location and use that as a departure point for a flight plan. Thanks for the input.Peter

It needs both origin and destination before bringing up the departures/arrival selections. I don't see why you couldn't enter those fields and enter as the first fix the next intended fix. I'm not sure how it would cycle through the climb/cruise sequency... just gotta try it I guess.When I'm just playing, I'll enter the same location for origin/destination and go through the preflight just so I have the Vspeeds for departure. In this case, it's just a matter of selecting a different destination to do what you intend to do.The departure fix would have to be a valid ICAO code that it can retrieve from wpNavAPT airac data.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks Dan, that exactly my conclusion as well. Regards Thanks PeterIt needs both origin and destination before bringing up the>departures/arrival selections. I don't see why you couldn't>enter those fields and enter as the first fix the next>intended fix. I'm not sure how it would cycle through the>climb/cruise sequency... just gotta try it I guess.>>When I'm just playing, I'll enter the same location for>origin/destination and go through the preflight just so I have>the Vspeeds for departure. In this case, it's just a matter of>selecting a different destination to do what you intend to>do.>>The departure fix would have to be a valid ICAO code that it>can retrieve from wpNavAPT airac data.>Peter K P.EngCF-MMZToronto Ontario CanadaPMDG 747,737and 747FLevel D 767PSS Airbus pro A340-300In reality, a Mooney 201 Pilot