Sign in to follow this  
Guest Chris1308

TCAS and altimeter question

Guest Chris1308

HelloI have got a question about the TCAS and the altimeters in the 747-400First the TCAS:before takeoff I switch it to the above-position, then at the Top of climb to the mid-Position, then at the top of des. to the below-position and on ground to the mid-positin. IS this all correct?When I make a step climb, should I switch it to the above-position or not?Now to the altimeters:there are two ones. The one in the Efis and the standby-one. should the allways have the same pressure or has the standby-one allways 29.92?please help meChris

Not a pilot, but I would imagine that the standby altimeter would be set to the correct pressure.It's the standby instrument after all - wouldn't be much use if you were forced to use it and it was set with the wrong pressure.

For the TCAS:What you are doing is correct. Also, you don't need to switch to ABOVE during a step climb since you will already see aircraft 2000 feet above or below you. Even in ICAO airspace, 2000 feet in a step climb should give you enough of a margin.For the Altimeter:Both the EFIS and standby altimeters should be set to current pressure below Transition Altitude and Standard 2992 above Transition Level. In real life, the pilots usually set the EFIS first, then the standby, then perform and altimeter check.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png

Not really sure why you would want to extend the range of TCAS in normal circumstances.... In a congested area, the ND will be cluttered with airplanes you really don't need to worry about. Maybe if your climb/descent rates were excessive, then you might need a bit more of a look-ahead?Cheers.Q>