Sign in to follow this  
Guest qf747_400

Qantas Simulator - Thank You PMDG

Guest qf747_400

Background: 7 years ago I posted an article at Flightsim.com (sorry!) about my experience in a Qantas 747-400 simulator at Sydney. Since then I have been back 4 times, the last of which was last weekend when I had a 4 hour session. It was breathtaking.The purpose of this post is to say to those @ PMDG who created this wonderful product - "thank you".It is difficult to believe that from the humble hobby that we all love, you can go to a full motion simulator and not crash the bloody thing! Seriously, each time I have been on the sim the instructor could not believe that anyone who has not flown a real aircraft (let alone a 747) could fly the "Queen".Minor issues - to those at PMDG - on each time I have been on the Qantas sim it has been the same compared to the PMDG flight model except that (1) on take-off the aircraft accelarates less quickly; and (2) on climb out the flap retraction happens much more slowly (at all TO weights). Is there a reason for this?Once again, thank you,Regards,AlanPerth, Western Australia

Guest nicam

How did get to experience the simulator?Michael

Yes, pleeeeeeaaaaase, tell us the complete story:4 hours in a 747 sim !!!!! How on earth have you reached that piece of glory ?We ARE waiting...Regards. Jose Luis.

"(1) on take-off the aircraft accelarates less quickly; and (2) on climb out the flap retraction happens much more slowly (at all TO weights)."Which is less quick/slower than which? Big sim less quick or PMDG less quick?Did you use a stopwatch or was this a seat-of-the-pants assessment :(Cheers.Q>

Guest Toledano

Here in Brazil we have 2 main simulator bases.One in S

Ever wondered how small is the place you want to spend your time the most?Tell me it's not an addiction... :)Happy for ya!Cheers,

>"(1) on take-off the aircraft accelarates less quickly; and>(2) on climb out the flap retraction happens much more slowly>(at all TO weights).">>Which is less quick/slower than which? Big sim less quick or>PMDG less quick?>>Did you use a stopwatch or was this a seat-of-the-pants>assessment :(I think he what he's getting at is that the Qantas sim accelerates a little slower than the PMDG model. I also think that what he means by the flap retracting being slower is not that the flaps move from say 20 to 10 in more of an amount of time, but that the retraction schedule takes more time on the "Big sim" to complete.P.S. Does anyone know of a sim on O'ahu or even in Hawai'i? Of any airliner? (Considering the answer is probably no, I'm reconsidering that statement below my name in this instance.)Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'i(?)http://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png

I spent 3 hours 2 years ago in a 747 simulator at the Qantas jet base in Sydney and completed a simulated flight from Sydney to Brisbane (Australia) with the instructor just sitting there the whole time doing nothing but watching. I landed the aircraft in Brissy with a slight crosswind just slightly to the left of the centre line. Was a lot of fun!

I found that upon take off and climbing from the airport, the time between flap retraction was much longer than what happens in the PMDG sim. Not that I am complaining about such a small thing. but for example it may have been 2 minutes before going up from flaps 20 in the QF sim, and less than 1 minute on FS( with PMDG 747.

Guest cfm56

Hey Ryan,Is that a mere coincidence that your taking a ride in a 777sim or am I reading to much into that?????? ehem ehem *clears throat expectantly*GideonB

Guest qf747_400

Hi Michael, you can buy simulator time. It does not come cheaply, at least with Qantas. Around AUD$900 per hour!Alan

Hi Alan, I remember reading your article with envy, seven years ago.I can`tbelieve it was that long ago. If my memory is right. I believeit was your wonderful wife that got it for you as a birthday present.You are one very lucky guy! Please could you give us some details.About who to contact at Qantas to do this. I live in Sydney andits something I would love to try. I have been using flight simssince the early 90`s version 5.1 was first anyway 747-400have always been my choice of aircraft that i enjoy using the most.And i am so glad to read that you enjoy using the pmdg 747-400as much as i do.And that it just about as real as it gets. Cheers Greg Sydney Australia

Guest qf747_400

Hello Jose Luis, will tell you more shortly. Am a bit busy tonight finishing a flight from VTBD to YPPH in the Queen!Alan

Guest qf747_400

Hi guys, sorry if I was not clear.On the take off roll, the "real" sim (after stabilising the engines and pressing TOGA) initially accelarates noticably more slowly.On climb out you are quite correct Ryan, it is not the time that it takes to retract from say flaps 20 to 10, but how quickly you need to make that call (if you watch the ITVV 747-400 video you will get some idea of what I mean). Interestingly on descent/approach it appears that PMDG have got it pretty well spot on.Alan