Sign in to follow this  
Guest sierra7215

PMDG 737-600/700. Should I purchase

Guest sierra7215

Hi all,My name is Jason. New on here.I'm looking to purchase the 737-600/7 but I have just noticed the update 1.3, is now over 3 years old.Have PMDG stopped working on this product? I have also noticed that the 800/9 upgrade features an upgraded cockpit and other mods for an extra $USD27. Also, I you can only get the mod cockput for the 600/7 if you purchase the 800/9.So, to have the full 600/7 with updated cockpit I need to pay $USD39.95 + $USD27 = $ USD67.Is it worth it for a 3 year old program, now that Wilco has a 3/4/500 out that is not even 1 year old and at $USD36 for the full version?I also noticed on the FMC manual that the cost index and %mac are not modelled. Has this changed?

If you are mainly looking for a high detail aircraft, I would highly recommend the PMDG 747-400. Other than that, the 737NG is going to be updated for FSX and should be out in about one years time (PERSONAL ESTIMATE, NOT OFFICIAL TIME FRAME). The 747-400 is newer and in combination with the 747-400F is a little more expensive, but as everyone here will contest, it is more than worth the value. Not only is the cost index and %mac more accurately modelled, you also have the IRS navigation system. Also, the overall visual quality of the VC is much higher. There are many other cool gadgets that you can look into if you want.However, if you do want the 737 specifically, it's not really worth comparing to the Wilco 733,734, and 735 to the PMDG 737NG. Not because PMDG or Wilco is better, but because both are vastly different aircraft all together. The PMDG 737NG has a glass cockpit where as the older 737's do not. I do not own the Wilco product but I can say, despite it's age, the PMDG 737NG is still a good product. My question to you would be, do you plan to use these products in FSX and is Wilco's version FSX capable or are they planning to make it FSX capable? Also, are you looking for an older model 737, newer model 737, or any model 737?Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png

Guest sierra7215

Hi Ryan,Thanks for your reply.In my hanger, I have a PSS777-200LR that takes care of my transcontinental flying, a flight one/dreamfleet 727-100/200 for intercontinental, a Eaglesoft Cessna750 for bizjet flying and various GA.I'm looking to replace my 727-100/200. I would like a glass cockpit this time round but not essential. I only use FS9. My problem is, Glass cockpits have evolved considerably in 3 years. I don't want to pay $USD67 ($AUD85 in my money ) for what is basically an old program. I see that PMDG has an awesome reputation which is why I'm considering paying more for this than the indirect competitor.

I had a look at the Wilco 737 and I must say I am tempted to buy it since I fly British Airways and they use these models. Feature wise, yes, it does out do the CURRENT PMDG 737NG model. I, however, go off both features and visuals which includes a fully (or at least nearly fully) 3D virtual cockpit. Now by saying you only use FS9, is that you plan to upgrade or not at all? I would say, go with Wilco for now because like I said, the PMDG model and features aren't going to be updated for a while. Also, it is cheaper. Then when the FSX versions of both aircraft are out, take another look and see which is better.If you want though, you can wait to see if anyone else chimes in here. If not, go for it!Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png

Guest sierra7215

Thanks Ryan,I don't plan to upgrade to FSX till all my aircraft have FSX upgrades available at a reasonable cost and a hardware system upgrade is due (For me April 2008).Too much invested in FS9 products.Thanks for your advice.Jason

The Aerosoft published PMDG 800/900 product stands alone and will give you the upgraded cockpit product. Once installed register (only needed for patches - under FAQs/Upgrades) on aerosoft.com for any service packs and info.

Guest sierra7215

Thanks,I really was after the 700. I can't find it here in the shops in Australia and the boxed version will take 1 month to be shipped. I just wish the cockpit upgrade was available for the 700 without the need to buy the 800/9. $USD65 is just excessive.

The boxed version is at some retailers. Also, the Australian location of PC Aviator might have it on a shorter delivery for you. Try pcaviator.com. I think they stock both their US and Australian locations.If you do decide on the boxed version, there is a special order upgrade available via download to the 800 from Aerosoft. Its in their FAQ.I just decided on both boxed versions as a more robust "insurance" regarding system problems that may invalidate a system specific key. There is information on the PMDG website regarding how to protect keys and installs for downloaded versions. I have not read this since I chose the "easy" way out (but not financially) by having two stand-alone boxed versions. They do integrate in that the 800 box still upgrades the 600 model.I have just a few payware aircraft and I do not regret getting full versions of their 737NGs. Whatever your path to acquisition I'm sure you'll find a high population of both in real world airlines especially around Germany such as Hapag-Lloyd when it combined with Hapag-Loyd Express (I think the merged airlines are now TUIfly). Both models are favorite regionals that can do hauls to about 500 nm. See also Air Berlin which uses both.