Sign in to follow this  
tunnelcat

Most challenging approach for 747

Hi all captains,I would just like anyone's opinion on just what are the most difficult or challenging approaches for the 747, other than the old Kai Tak approach? Interesting ones based on navigation, terrain or weather constraints would be fun. Thanks.Kim

CRI VOR approach to 13R KJFKCheersJon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Guest benhoffman

Ah yes the Canarsie approach. "Ladies and Gentlemen look off to the right, note the runway thats aligned with us by 90

We had an incident several years back with a 744 (JAL?) flying the LDA 26 approach here at Honolulu. Apparently the pilots flew a little too far right of the localiser. Hotel guests said that they were actually able to see the faces of the passengers staring out the aircraft windows.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png

Guest CS-THV

VORV05 at Funchal (LPMA).

Guest pierre974

VOR/DME RWY 09 at SXM(TNCM - Princess Juliana) is a classic, flaring just over the beach...Maybe not for a 747, but great with a 737, is DME/NDB/VOR procedure at Santos Dumont (RWY 02R). Challenging and intricate - a must try approach...You also have LOC/DME RWY 08 at Innsbruck (LOWI). If you like flying between the mountains.Enjoy *:-*

Runway 10 at Guantanamo Bay has an interesting and very tight approach for a 747. The difference there is, if you get it wrong, you risk being shot at by the neighbours.OK, it's not a civilian airport, but 747s do fly there on US Government contracts.Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

Thanks all for the suggestions. These approaches all sound interesting, so I'll give them a try.Sometimes when I'm in a crazy mood, I'll try landing runway 9 at KTEX with a lightly loaded 747. You'll use up most of the runway on that landing. It's actually possible to take off from runway 9 with a partial load and enough fuel to get to KCOS. Those mountains are close!Kim

LYTV rwy14 in Montenegro is a good one.Nebojsa

Quito, Ecuador and Mexico City Rwy 05L/05R might be challenging as well.Jasper :-wave

Guest samrec

Yeah that approach in to mexico have little chance for error, mountains are close to the city on your approach. Also landing from the opposite direction will make it hard for a Go Around due to them. Not much space to turn, unless you do a tight turn.

Wow, that Mexico City runway 05L/05R approach is a good one, especially with good terrain mesh installed in FS9. This one is a challenge with a large aircraft such as the 747. Thanks all.Kim

Kim,Not for the 744 but Rwy 09 at Gibraltar (LXGB) is very interesting...only flown by BA (A320) & Monarch (A320 or 752) & just recently by Iberia although I'm not sure what AC they are using (prob A320??)Take a look at the charts available from Navigraph & you'll see why...one of my favourites for the 737NG.Regards Steve B

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

KLGA Rwy 13. (hand fly)With Aerosofts Manhatten and Sheaz's KLGA airport scenery.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter