Sign in to follow this  
tunnelcat

Most challenging approach for 747

Steve,Thanks for the heads up on Gibraltar Rwy 09. I have the 737NG so I'll get the charts and give it a shot.Kim

LGSM RWY 09 VOR CIRCLING steep right turnLGKR RWY 17 CIRCLINGLGKR RWY 35 FLying KRK VOR R-320 OutboundLGST RWY 23 and 05LGIR RWY 09 GO http://avsim.com/greece/scenery/index_main.htm and http://www.greekairportsproject.gr/scene.htmland download the FS2004 FREEWARE SCENERIES first[EDIT] Oh!!! I just saw that is for 747 specific........try LGKR and LGIR only then....http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/betaimg.jpgSam

Sam. 

Waiting for the 64-bit PSION Flightsim for ZX-Spectrum ////

Sam,I was just reading about the Samos LGSM Rwy 09 visual approach in Computer Pilot magazine and gave it a try in the 737NG. That one is a good challenge but apparently it's even more spectacular in real life due to the close hilly terrain that is not represented very well in FS9.I'll try out the LGKR and LGIR airport approaches for the 747. The Greek Isles are gorgeous. Thanks for the freeware sceneries link.It's going to take me awhile to try out all the excellent suggestions I've gotten here.Kim

Guest M-Sauce

Try some of the airports in Tibet. ZUBD, ZUNZ, ZULS. They aren't in the stock FS9, but someone has made a fantastic add-on scenery for free here on Avsim. The Kashmir region also has some great airports, both in India and Pakistan. Get the freeware scenery available from the Avsim library and also get the mesh for the Himalayas. Try VILH (Leh, India), VI57 (Thoise), OPSD (Skardu, Pakistan), and also Chilas and Gilgit (Both in Pakistan). I fly the 73NG and 744 regularly into these fields. Some are above 10,000 feet, so if you fly the 744 into them the Cabin Altitude warning will be going off at some point. You can fly the 400 into any of these if you are under at least 300T. Although be warned, she eats lots of runway. I wish we flew the 400 into even one such fun airport, but unfortunatly, most ports we go to are long runway international mega airports. They provide their own challenges, but they are not usually fun ones. I agree, the VOR13L/R into JFK is quite fun on the 744, especially since it often involves a go-arround due to slower traffic ahead. It is about as close as you can get to Kai Tak, but without the checker-board or tall buildings. Landing on 13L with a strong X-wind, a little wet on the ground, and at max landing weight of 300T on the freighter is about as challenging as it gets for me. That autobrakes 4 or even MAX works wonders.Mariano