Sign in to follow this  
pipersam

Direct climb during SID?

Hey folks, quick question. If i'm flying a SID which, as standard, requires me to level off at 5000' before reaching the VOR, how do I set the FMC to climb straight to cruise altitude. I can do it on the FMC for the level-d, but can't seem to do it for the 737. Its probably an easy answer which i'm over looking. Thanks,Sam.

Do you mean how to recommence the climb after being at 5000? If so, what I do is set the MCP ALT to next cleared-to altitude and press VNAV button twice. There might be other ways, but this works. The aircraft will continue the climb in VNAV PTH mode.

Dan Downs KCRP

I have just got off a positioning sector and our airlines procedure (this of course may change) is that VNAV is not used until passing about 10,000ft.Before this N1 and level change were used in the climb out and LNAV for the headings.Hope this helps.James

Thanks for your replies, james: what airline is it your talking about? I'm pretty sure in the uk, the standard procedure is to turn on v/lnav above 400feet. What i actually mean is:If, for example, i'm flying out of london luton (EGGW) and the sid states that you should level off at 5000' before reaching LAM VOR, but ATC clear you to a higher level before your get to the LAM VOR, how do you program the FMC, whilst in flight, to ignore the level off, and climb directly to your cruise altitude, say FL330? I hope this makes sense, thanks,Sam.

I am gatwick base (EGKK). I think you'll find that use of LNAV and VNAV, and when they are engaged is purely down to the airlines. I find that the operating pilot will hand fly on LNAV and N1+Alt as they are cleared by ATC to climb, then after 5 minutes or so they will engage autopilot. Also if you check out this page:http://www.b737.org.uk/fmc.htmYou will see that the 73 doesn't have the same climb dir option as the 76.James