Sign in to follow this  
Guest JJ57

Speedbrake EICAS messages

Guest JJ57

Hello,Have noticed a few things with the speedbrake EICAS messages for the 744.You have the "Speedbrake extended" EICAS caution, or the "Speedbrake Auto" for a failure of the automatic system. From my understanding, theere should be a memo (White) message that displays "SPEEDBRAKE ARMED" when it is armed. I know the 777 has this, as well as the 737 (Green Light) and the 757/767 do not. But from the Boeing updates, it appears that the later build 744's do have this memo message.Can anybody confirm?

"But from the Boeing updates, it appears that the later build 744's do have this memo message."Don't see the point of it. Memo messages are there to remind you to do something. If you've already armed it, what's the point of telling you that you've armed it? Is the SPEEDBRAKE ARMED message on the 777 a Memo message or part of a checklist item? I don't believe our 747-400ER's have it and they are late build. Perhaps it's a customer option?Cheers.Q>

Guest JJ57

Actually the EICAS memo messages just give a system indication status such as:APU RUNNINGPARK BRAKE SETPACKS HIGH STAGEAUTOBRAKE 2The don't really remind you to do something, jsut to remind you that something is on or off. The 777 has the electronic checklist, and it is an item, however, it does have the memo message of SPEEDBRAKE ARMED whenever it is armedAgain, from my understanding, the later build 744's do have this, however I do not know if it is a customer option or not. It very well may be like the style of altitide callouts, PFD options and other things like that.I can definitely see this being standard with the new 748, as it already has the upgraded cockpit over the 744, or 744ER.

"The don't really remind you to do something, jsut to remind you that something is on or off."Depends on your point of view. You could say that the APU running is a reminder to switch off the APU after takeoff, the Park Brake Set is to remind you to release the park brake before you apply thrust, the Packs High Flow is to remind you to return your packs to the correct config after the abonormality has passed, etc...

Having such a message in the upper EICAS permits to run the landing checklist WITHOUT LOOKING DOWN to the pedestal (in real life) or without having to open the throttle panel (when PC simming).I have read about a recent incident with a low cost company crew (I will not say which) that were cleared for a different approach to the one they had programmed in the FMC. They both (??), then, were engaged looking down reprogramming the FMC, and afterwards found themselves at 400 ft agl and at 230 kts (!!!). Fortunately they could manage the situation and landed safely the aircraft. So, looking down instead of looking forward is not a good idea when you are on final approach.Jose Luis.

>Having such a message in the upper EICAS permits to run the>landing checklist WITHOUT LOOKING DOWN to the pedestal (in>real life) or without having to open the throttle panel (when>PC simming).>>I have read about a recent incident with a low cost company>crew (I will not say which) that were cleared for a different>approach to the one they had programmed in the FMC. They both>(??), then, were engaged looking down reprogramming the FMC,>and afterwards found themselves at 400 ft agl and at 230 kts>(!!!). Fortunately they could manage the situation and landed>safely the aircraft. >>So, looking down instead of looking forward is not a good idea>when you are on final approach.>>Jose Luis. Would that company happen to fly white yellow and blue planes with a popular male name on the side? If so, a big part of that was the Captain's disregard for CRM.Paul

>>Would that company happen to fly white yellow and blue planes>with a popular male name on the side? >I'm afraid yes...but I don't understand what you mean with "the Captain's disregard for CRM" ?Jose Luis.

Guest JJ57

did not know of that incident, but lets face it, it is nice to have.Anyway, back to the main question, can anybody comfirm a Eicas memo of SPEEDBRAKE ARMED? Again, the 777 does have it standard, and it is part of the checklist items, but from my understanding, the later build 744 did have it, however it may be a customer option.

>>>>Would that company happen to fly white yellow and blue>planes>>with a popular male name on the side? >>>>I'm afraid yes...but I don't understand what you mean with>"the Captain's disregard for CRM" ?>>Jose Luis.I read the official report. It was a high total time captain with a FO that had much less total time. The FO had way more time on thee type than the captain though. The captain ignored most of the FO's warnings and advisories, presumably because of the huge difference in experience levels. I've heard (unconfirmed / unofficial) that the captain has been demoted.Paul