Sign in to follow this  
Staffan

DC9-MD82

Hi all,What is the difference between the DC-9 and the MD-82? Looking at pictures, they look the same and have the same flight deck. Continental flies MD-82s. In looking for them, the only good download I saw was a continental D95. Are they the same thing? They look the same to me.Thanks,DAVID C. FREEMANCONTINENTAL VIRTUAL AIRLINESHouston

Hi David,There are a few diffrences between a Dc9 and a Md80 cockpit. But to mention the most visual diffrence,...it is the autopilot. The Dc9 you have to fly in a more "by hand" way than the Md80 series.Fly safe,Staffan Ahlberg - FFG

Staffan

All DC- denominated aircraft were made by Douglas prior to merging with McDonnell. After the merger they were named MD-. So for instance there are various version of the DC-9, e.g. -32, -51, -41. These are all basically different fuselage lengths and therefore seating capacity. When MD and DC merged the newest model on the drawing board was the DC-9-82, which then became the MD82. As Staffan mentions the cockpit is quite different (although the basic layout is the same), the wingspan is larger and the fuselage is longer than the previous versions, also the engines are quieter and more fuel efficient than the older DC-9s. Then MDD merged with Boeing and the DC-9/MD95 became the 717. Go figure.Misha

Thanks for the great info. DAVID C. FREEMANCONTINENTAL VIRTUAL AIRLINESHouston

Hi David,Stephan is correct regarding the autopilot on the DC-9 as it differs from a more "automated" one in the MD-80 series which is located on the glareshield. The McDonnell Douglas DC-9 features the Sperry SP-50 autopilot located just aft of the throttles which is more "hands on". For example, DC-9 pilots cannot enter in an altitude they want to fly at, rather they use a vertical speed control wheel to achieve the desired V/S. They dial in their desired alt using an altitude alerter which alerts them when they are approaching their desired altitude. They then use the V/S wheel on the autopilot to level off. There is also a turn knob on the autopilot to bank the aircraft.Other differences between the MD-80/DC-9 cockpit includes the engine gauges, glareshield design, flight director controls, overhead annunciator panel, Thrust Rating Panel, flaps gauge, Airspeed indicator, Hydraulic Brakes selector, and the Instrument Compararator.You might see some similarities in the older MD-80's (usually with the european airlines) which features the FD-108 or 109 Flight Directors which you find commonly in DC-9s. I believe Finnair MD-80's have the FD-109 ADI/FD as it is the same used in the most DC-9-50's, making the transition from the DC-9 to the MD-80 a bit easier.If you study a lot of DC-9 cockpit photos, you will find that the styles will vary from one airline to the next (or whoever originally ordered the aircraft). Some of the more notable features will probably the design of the glareshield. The Collins set-up usually has a slim glareshield design with light switches and an alt alerter. The Sperry setup usually has a fatter design which contains the flight director controls. Also note that nothing on the glareshield of the DC-9 has to do with the autopilot. They are usually the Flight Director controls, Nav radios, reverser/various warning lights, or even light switches. It all depends (no two cockpits are exactly alike).If you are really interested in learning about DC-9's, I suggest you use Stellan Hilmerby's panel rendition of the DC-9-41. Stellan was a DC-9-41 pilot for SAS and worked with me to produce my DC-9-51 panel for FS98 with Geir Otto Olsen. I have not since updated much to my FS98 panel to make it FS2000/2002 compatible, but Stellan has kept his version quite current. Visit his site at http://www.bahnhof.se/~classic/It features a very accurate autopilot to give you an idea of how much enjoyable it is to fly the DC-9 next to the MD-80!!Happy Flying,-Bryan

Ya in my opinion, both of the 2 have a REALY ugly cockpit. I prefer the A320 :)nw1.gifTim Quayle Northwest Virtual Airlines et al - MSP

Yeah...?But I guess that some people prefer to program a FMC computer and look at some boring EICAS screens instead of really flying a plane....;-)FLY safe, :-waveStaffan Ahlberg - FFG

Staffan