Sign in to follow this  
beorn

737NG: MSFS crashes when performing DIRECT-TO-FIX

Hi everyone!Today I've encountered that MSFS tends to crash to desktop when I try to go directly to a fix on the LEGS FMC page after ATC advise. I down-select the desired fix to the scratchpad, then upselect it to Line 1 on the 1st LEGS page, EXEC illuminates, I press the button - and here we are: the screen turn black with the SquakBox only displayed, and then there's a window that suggests to send a bug report to Microsoft.Two attempts to fly from EDDT to EDDM wrer ruined by that crash. Both crashes occurred under similar circumstances.Is there a way to fix it?

May I suggest that you try it without squawkbox, or any other running apps for that matter.

Dan Downs KCRP

Maybe I'll try this today. You think, it could be the SquawkBox?I'm not sure about the first crash, but the second one occured when I pushed the EXEC button AND someone was talking to the ATC simultaneously, so the SquawkBox was receiving voice data.Well, that'd be too bad, if this would appear to be a MSFS and SB3 conflict... :-/

Guest tomahawk_pa38

Hi Mr/Ms Nameless,I had never had a system crash until recently - now on almost every flight it crashes usually when I do something simple like re-tune the radio frequency. Why ? cos I installed Traffic 2005 ! Uninstalled it now everything is fine again. just goes to show what add-on stuff can do. Suggest you uninstall Squawkbox and see if it still happens.

Well, that could be the reason. I've installed FSInn & FSCopilot recently. FSInn seemed ugly to me, so I switched back to SquawkBox without uninstalling FSCopilot & FSInn though, because I wanted to keep two useful FSCopilot tools - Clock Sync (the standard FS9 clock is just a disaster!) and the handy PushBack interface.I think, I'll try to uninstall those things first and to fly the route once again with SqBx3 turned on again. Hope it won't crash then.But now we've got another question: I'm quite pleased with the MSFS pushback interface (though it is still stupid enough), but the clock never is correctly, evein if matching the correct time at MSFS start.What would you suggest to keep the internal simulator clock tuned?P.S. Sorry, I forgot about the signature!-- Michael A. Peregudov, UUDD

Guest tomahawk_pa38

Michael,I use FS Copilot which I think has a clock sync in it.PS You can change your settings so that your name appears automatically at the end of your messages.

Dave,I use the FSCopilot and its time sync as well. But it could be the cause of the crashes.BTW, do you use only the secondary CoPilot features or the FSInn too?-- Michael A. Peregudov, UUDD

I tried to fly the route without SquawkBox engaged. Everything went just fine. After first DIRECT-TO I tried to start SquawkBox without logging in to VATSIM (I would be a bad idea to appear airborne in front of someone approaching to EDDM) and to perform the same operation. Everything went fine as well.So - what's the matter? It seems like SquawkBox but only when connected to VATSIM and processing voice data.Actually I have to say that I restarted my computer inbetween, so the problem can have been resolved by that already. Who knows...What are your ideas?

Reminds me of the joke about the four engineers, mechanical, chemical, electrical and computer in a car that stopped running. The mechanical engineer thought the problem was the fuel pump, the chemical engineer thought they ran out of gas, the electrical engineer thought there was no spark... but the computer engineer said they should all get out of the car then back in for it to start.If you suspect squawkbox while logged in, repeat the experiment and request a test flight to set up the same conditions. If you can repeat the incidence then you've got it figured out. Unfortuneately, figuring out a problem with a Windows CTD is seldom so obvious; otherwise, everyone at VATSIM would be aware of it.

Dan Downs KCRP

Yeah, I remember this joke. :-) It sutes very well to my problem, indeed. Hope the simple restart did really help.But the idea with the test flight is great, I thought about it myself. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow or at the weekend.Thanks!