Sign in to follow this  
Guest weilers484

"Queen" 747-400/FSX & Vista

Guest weilers484

I've been flying the "Queen" (and also Ready For Pushback 747-200 and Concorde Professional by Just Flight) on my former computer (Pentium IV 3GHz 1GB RAM ATI Radeon PCI Express Windows XP) and have had tremendous smoothness and enjoyment. BUT...motherboard died and was forced to buy a new computer (Core 2 Duo E6320 2GB RAM GeForce 7650GS 256MB) and it has Vista!! Am I doomed for no more great and smooth flights with these aircraft that I have now?? Should I scrap my FS2004 and buy FSX?.....or will I be OK in Vista with FS2004 and the "Queen", 747-200 and Concorde? Anyone in a position to offer a somewhat depressed "simmer" some encouraging words? Ron weilers484@charter.net (if you want to e-mail me)

I have been using FS2004 and the "Queen" with Vista (Ultimate)for a couple months now and have had zero problems - runs great. I have FSX as well, and it runs fine, but since the PMDG 747 does not work in FSX, I rarely play it.I do not have the other two programs you mention, thus cannot comment on them. Enjoy your new system, and happy flying!(System: Intel Quad Core 2.4, Corsair 4gb ram, Nvidia 8800 GTX, Asus Striker Extreme mobo, WD Raptor hard drives)Steven

If you still have the Windows XP disc you can also make a dual boot on your new machine so that you can choose to load either Vista or Windows XP and install FS9 on the XP partition. That's what I have and I run FS9 and FSX (well, at least have it installed) on the XP partition and more business oriented programs (Dreamweaver, Fireworks etc) on the Vista partition. Unfortunately I don't know have to make a dual boot if you have Vista installed first... I had XP and installed Vista and the installation routine put everything up for me.

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Vista will be just fine as soon as the driver situation (mainly with Nvidia) is fixed... Both FS9 and FSX run fine on it, albeit slower than on XP, but that's a driver issue like I said.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest kame

Dear Steven,>with Vista (Ultimate)for a couple months now and have had zero problems - runs great. Haven't you had trouble on the window screen (not full screen) display?I have not been able to display V/C, Tower and Spot views with window screen even default Cessna and KSEA flight.(System: Intel Quad Core 2.4, Corsair 4gb ram, GeForce 7800 GTX, Asus Striker Extreme mobo, Seagate hard drives)Sincerely,Kan-ichiro Fushihara

I can relate to the Nvidia thing. From time to time FS9 reloads textures and when it does I am left with a black screen but FS is still running. I have to minimize the program and then maximize and when I do FS displays in it's full glory.I have only tried with the 747 but now I think about it will give the NG a go and see if it has similar issues.CheersAybe

http://www.jdtllc.com/images/rcv4bannerbeta.jpg

Hi Ryan,What about ATI cards and Vista ? I know ATI cards doesn't support DX10 yet but are they "failing" also like Nvidia's ? I'm still using XP but was thinking to switch to Vista in the near future.Thanks for reply,Peter

In response to Kan-ichiro Fushihara,No, I've not had any problem with windowed mode, it's actually the way I usually run the flight sim. Our Systems are quite similar from what you've posted.Aside from the (all to obvious) "make sure your using the latest video driver" comment, I've no idea what would be preventing you from being able to use VC, Tower and Spot views while in windowed mode, sorry.Steven

Guest kame

Dear Steven,I'm sorry. They are not displayed with s or SHF + s keys but displayed with F9, F10 and F11 keys.Sincerely,Kan-ichiro Fushihara

Guest kame

Dear Steven,>They are not displayed with s or SHF + s keys but displayed>with F9, F10 and F11 keys.Excuse me, I have confused FS2004 with FSX.I have not been able to display V/C, Tower and Spot views on the windowed screen of the FS2004 with s or SHF + s keys just as I said before.Sincerely,Kan-ichiro Fushihara

>Hi Ryan,>>What about ATI cards and Vista ? I know ATI cards doesn't>support DX10 yet but are they "failing" also like Nvidia's ? >I'm still using XP but was thinking to switch to Vista in the>near future.>>Thanks for reply,>>Peter>From what I've read, ATI's drivers are currently much better in Vista than Nvidia's. The problem is that their new DX10 card, the 2900XT does not even have as much power as the 8000GTS, Nvidia's midrange card. It's a rock and a hard place right now - Nvidia's got bad drivers, ATI's got slow hardware.I'm personally waiting till the 2nd gen DX10 cards from both companies before I upgrade my 7800GTX...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com