Sign in to follow this  
mcbellette

Boeing 747-400 Winglet/No Winglet

Hi all,I was just browsing through the airliners.net website and found a picture from a JAL flight looking out through the window over the wing mid-flight. I noticed that this was one of JAL's 744's used on domestic routes that don't have winglets. I know all of Qantas' 744's used on international routes have winglets.Please see link for the picture I am talking about:http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1015803So I have a question - what is the reason behind a non-winglet version of the 744 being used for domestic routes and a winglet version used on international routes? Is there any advantage to not having winglets on shorter routes?I hope someone can answer this enquiry for me.Kind regards,

747-400D (D for Domestic), as operated by JAL and ANA, has no winglets to save weight. On short haul flights the fuel saving of these winglets is more than offset by their extra weight. Most airlines use the 747-400 on long haul, so the Domestic version is not appropriate.The 747-400D has the same wingspan as the 747-200, not extended span like the 747-400. Simply removing the winglets is a small compromise in the PMDG external model to allow the -400D to be represented.Kevin

ki9cAAb.jpg

Just in case you weren't aware, the PMDG 747 has an option for aircraft without winglets. Just go into PMDG options and select "hide winglet". This gives folks the visual option to operate 747-400D flights.Best,Vin ScimonePMDGwww.precisionmanuals.comhttp://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/devteam.jpg

Vin Scimone

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team_FB.jpg

Yeah, I am aware there is an option for that. I was just actually wondering only about what benefit there would be for not having winglets in the real world and it seems my question has been answered. Thanks!