Sign in to follow this  
rgamurot

Disabled Step Climb Somehow

Currently I'm flying QF032 from EGLL to WSSS. Part of the flight takes me though Russia. At the Transition Point, I climbed from FL290 to S1010. I also programmed the FMC to show the step climb on the ND so I don't forget and stay at an RVSM level. The problem is, when I left Russian Airspace, I step climbed from S1010 to FL350 but now it won't show any following step climbs. Yes, the VNAV page still shows a 2000 Step Climb. The problem is that STEP TO on the VNAV doesn't show anything which usually happens about 400nm from my destination. I'm still over 2000nm out!http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/171573.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/171574.jpgAny ideas on what I did?Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png

Ryan,I usually fly this route with a pre-programmed Step Climb of 4000'.Presumably you initially 'stepped' to a metric cruise level on entering russian airspace...I forget the exact numbers but when I fly this route it normally equates to FL 331??, I normally start out at FL 290-310 depending on A/C weight at the time - I'm not at home at the mo so please excuse my lack of clarity here!!!I also fly this route on an ECON Cost Index ranging from 80 - 120, giving me an ECON CRZ rather than your Mach CRZ selection.I don't know whether this Mach CRZ selection may have altered things, I have experienced a similar 'glitch' when changing the 'STEP SIZE' field from 4000 - 2000 or into ICAO when actually in flight...maybe this was the problem??You have some flex looking at your CRZ page... get her into an ECON mode selecting an appropriate Cost Index & perhaps then get her up to FL 370 - you seem to have plenty of fuel over a necessary reserve for your alternate...presumably WMKK??...I will try to replicate this on my system tomorrow night & let you know what happens.Enjoy the rest of the flight!!Steve B

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

Thanks for your reply, Steve. I just kept an eye on my OPT ALT and did make it into WSSS with no problem (except for the WX). I never changed the STEP SIZE until I already had the problem hoping it would fix it. I think when I forced the STEP to S1010 (You're right, FL331)on the LEGS page, that's when future step climbs stopped showing. That's the only alteration I made before the FMC acted up. I set up the .860 CRZ at the gate and everything was working there.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png

Ryan,This is strange one...I normally leave the step climb where it is & 'force' the FL331/10100M alt by selecting it on the MCP...providing of course it is within the OPT/MAX parameters.Steve B

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'