Sign in to follow this  

Pentium IV 2.53 533 Bus with at least 512 1066 speed me

Is anybody using this setup for his or her computer. I really want to upgrade and am thinking about getting a top fo the line computer to get the job done. I will probably go with a Ti 4600 or ATI's latest 9700 card. I am currently using Windows ME, an AMD Athlon 1.2G Thunderbird with 512MB PC133 memory, and a GeForce256DDR 32MB videcard and am tired of the stutters, the frequent pauses, and ATC that sounds lie a broken record (skips and repeats) at times.Will moving the the latest and greatest processor hardware get me to this point, or should I wait until something faster comes along. I just want smoothness in my frames with no pauses and stutters.Any comments or suggestions will be welcomed.ROB

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Close to the exact same setup should arrive at my house in less than a week...so I'll let you know :) I'm moving up from a 750Mhz Duron with 192Meg SDRAM!!!! So how's that for a jump?? New setup =P4 2.56Ghz 533FSBIntel 850E w/ RAID mobo1Gb 1066 RAMBUSRAID array 2x60Gb harddrivesnVidia Ti4600... and yes...it'll be overclocked the day after I get it :)... have a water cooling system on the way!!

That's a heck of a jump!You are one lucky dude, perhaps the first to get one of these rigs. I am sure you will put it through the test. I can't wait to hear your report. Do you have any of those add-on sceneries that are frame-rate killers on most machines?Rob

I'm gonna go with the 2.53 and 512mgs of the PC1066 ram too; but gonna wait a couple months as the new Pentiums are coming out and the price on the current lot is suppose to drop considerably. Especially since Intel is disappointed bigtime with their sales of these new processors. This fall sometime looks good for me. Also looking at the Leadtek Ti4600 which comes with two nice fans attached. My only question still remaining is which mobo. I'm looking at the Intels; but thinking about the new Asus board. I think it was the Asus P4T33C. Read somewhere that it's more overclocking friendly?? Guess you're suppose to be able to overclock these bad boys to around 3 gig with no heat problems. Gonna order an extra case fan though just to be on the safe side and then take the components to the shop where they have folks that know what they're doing. Unlike me.

Hi Rob,I am using a Pentium IV 2.4 GHz with 533 FSB with 512 MB 2700 RAM on an ASUS P4B533 MB. The vid card is Asus GF4 T14600 with 29.92 drivers running on Windows 98SE (old fashioned I guess!).With all sliders to the max I get FPS of over 50 in most areas. Around Heathrow with Project AI and other traffic I get approx 38 FPS.It is totally smooth with no stutters, pauses or anything else. No problems with ATC either.Definitely a worthwhile investment!SimonDuncraig (Perth)

>Is anybody using this setup for his or her computer. I >really want to upgrade and am thinking about getting a top >fo the line computer to get the job done. I will probably >go with a Ti 4600 or ATI's latest 9700 card. >>I am currently using Windows ME, an AMD Athlon 1.2G >Thunderbird with 512MB PC133 memory, and a GeForce256DDR >32MB videcard and am tired of the stutters, the frequent >pauses, and ATC that sounds lie a broken record (skips and >repeats) at times. >>Will moving the the latest and greatest processor hardware >get me to this point, or should I wait until something >faster comes along. I just want smoothness in my frames >with no pauses and stutters. >>Any comments or suggestions will be welcomed. >>ROB Thats the sort of thing that I was looking at...why dont you get it this weekend and then work out the bugs and let us all know. :)

Wow Simon!Am I hearing you correctly, you never get at and around 38 Frames per minute in the heaviest scenery and AI places with all sliders to the max? That is well three to four times what I am getting. Does this include full ATC? What kind of weather settings do you use? Thanks,Robbie

RobbieHe, I have a few sceneries that kill frames... but I can't run the game over 1024x780 on my poor 750 Duron... :) As to the question about the Intel motherboard... the Intel I850E is a very stable platform... it doesn't handle "too" much overclocking as the ASUS does, but you won't the the Blue Screen of Death hopefully as much. I'm using the Gigabyte version of the Intel board and it's supposedly a smoker (hopefully not literally!).

Robbie,That includes full ATC and real weather using FS Meteo.The Asus Mboard is great for overclocking by the way - all done through the Bios.Simon

Hi Rob,Just thought I would jump in here. It's been a while since I directed anybody to this older post from Elrond, but perhaps you should take a look at it before making a decision.I think going with a Pentium right now makes sense, but I believe that in a very short time you'll be able to assemble a fast P4/2.5 based system for a lot less than it would cost right now. However, if you just can't wait, I would at least seriously consider the P4/2.3GHz based on the Northwood die (0.13micron). This CPU is half the price (more than a US $200 savings), but should only set you back in speed by only ~10% relative to the 2.5. Just some food for thought, don't get too full :-lol.

Hi Robbie,I share your surprise. That performance is truly mind boggling!!BTW - Northwood comes in two flavors, 2.3 and 2.5 (actually 2.26 and 2.53 to be precise). That 2.4 must have been a special order :-lol.

The 2.4 GHz 533 FSB is a standard Intel processor. They call it the 2.4BGHz. Check the Intel web site for spec's. I purchased it from a normal computer dealer - definitely not a special order.Simon

I stand corrected. Please wait while I wipe the egg off my face :-hah. I just can't keep up with all these crazy changes, particularly these "A" and "B" series. Your FS performance makes me want to do something irrational like buy another computer :-lol.Edit - and what's worse, they come with either 400 or 533 FSB!! Makes AMD's nomenclature look almost sane.Edit 2 - Almost forgot to say sorry. I should think next time before haste gets the better of me (or at least do my homework). It's been a long week (yes, I know it's only Monday...).

Donkeys must be flying and it must be an ice age down underground!Anyone who claims to get high frame rates with all sliders up on full and with lots of AI traffic is full....Full of what, well I leave that up to your imagination.

Well I won't even rise to it.There's always someone........I may post a screen shot when I get home later tonight - on second thoughts why bother.Trying to be helpful and constructive - thats all.

No worries.......The funny thing is the 533 FSB is the same price as the 400FSB (well it was a couple of weeks ago when I bought it).Now thats weird.

Hi Simon,Don't take offense. It's just that we've seen so many claims of great performance, only to learn that "everything is maxed except that autogen is turned off"!! However, there are other less obvious "max" settings like aricraft and scenery shadows that when disabled, really improve performance. It's just that when there are so many little settings to really "max" out everything, those of us with everything turned way up really do find it astonishing to see others report such success. I myself can only achieve about 20fps, and that's with ATC turned off (it doesn't work with WidevieW) and water textures set to detail. But then again, I only run at 1.5 real GHz (in theory the same as 1.8GHz P4). Unfortunately, I have to hold off for a while before doing anything else with my system (and it really does make me pretty happy the way it is).And please, don't get me started about those blurry pop-up textures.

Fair enough - I'm new to this forum so I can undertand if people are sensitive due to past events/postings which I'm not aware of.

Robbie if you have been around FS for awhile you understand that all reports of performance have to be taken in the context of all situations possible, if you get my drift: how many addons are running? What is the screen resolution? How about DX sound acceleration settings? The whole banana! If you are lucky enough to have ALL aspects of your system fully compatible, fully set up right, with the right combination of drivers, BIOS settings, etc etc ad nauseum, then you MAY end up with a super performer. All arguments such as "it's the cpu that matters most" or whatever, are all very much system dependent. I have certainly had excellent performance FOR MY SYSTEM SPECS, but it's time for an upgrade, and this time, we are going full tilt! Anyway, at this time I feel the best chances are with a P4 Northwood core. I am very interested in Gigabyte's GA-8IHXP mainboard. If you haven't already, read about it at Tom's Hardware. It has almost everything you could want in a high performance mainboard: GA-8IHXP Intel

Holly stuff in my toilet! I just maxed everything out and with 100% AI ATC I was able to get 70fps. Wow!! I am just amazed at what my system can do! I took some screen shots, but then my computer froze and I lost them. Sorry! x(

>Hi Rob, >>I am using a Pentium IV 2.4 GHz with 533 FSB with 512 MB >2700 RAM on an ASUS P4B533 MB. The vid card is Asus GF4 >T14600 with 29.92 drivers running on Windows 98SE (old >fashioned I guess!). >>With all sliders to the max I get FPS of over 50 in most >areas. Around Heathrow with Project AI and other traffic I >get approx 38 FPS. >>It is totally smooth with no stutters, pauses or anything >else. No problems with ATC either. >>Definitely a worthwhile investment! >>Simon >Duncraig (Perth)Glad you like your machine Simon, :)The new P4-B's are really great solid machines.However...I've had Fs2k2 running on many a P4-533FSB machine with the DDR as well as Rdram PC1066 on Intel/Asuss boards with a few setups o/c all the way up to 3.0Gigs which may I add make for one sweet sweet machine but these highly tweaked machines get absolutly no where near the performance that you speak of and I can gaurantee to anyone here that if you except Your performance figures... "With all sliders to the max I get FPS of over 50 in most areas... Around Heathrow with Project AI and other traffic I get approx 38 FPS." ...You will be very disapointed, These machines are very much the "go to" machines but please Simon spare us the hype, expect good solid figures of around 20-30 with AAx2 at 1280x960 and this is with very high O/C Ti4600 cards (315/750).To see performance of which you speak at just a plain old AAx2 at 1280x960x32 in any kind of detailed area with ATC with ALL settings maxed you will need around a 4.0Ghz 8xAGP R9700/NV30 machine, at the least. :-eekIf anyone wants to see some published numbers please have a look at http://www4.tomshardware.com/ or here's a decent review of exactlt this hardware on FS2k2 at Simhq: http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/hardware/reviews/p42530/Glad you like your machine Simon Please but havent we had enough of all the hype? :-rollLater

This will be my final post on this topic as I am tired of being bashed about. I did state in a previous post that I had no AA for those FPS - that is why I stated further up that I was unaware of all the sensitivities and hype. I was just trying to help Rob who wanted info on performance on high spec machines of which I am lucky to have one.I am truly sorry it created such a hornets nest. :-(I certainly wont get involved in postings like this again!

comoman:To put it into perspective here are my system specs.P2.0Ghz OC'd to 2.2+Ghz384MB PC 800 RAMBUSGeforece 3 OC'd to 240/540Dual 80MB WD Caviar Drives at 10,000RPMEverything is cooled with Orbs and Hard drive coolingASUS P4T MBNOW, performance.Default scenery all sliders - 30fpsMost sliders (cloud density and visibility pulled back a few notches, everything else 100% - my daily config) - 45-50fps defaultFinallySimflyers KEWR scenery with every single parking space taken - 5 to 8 fps without all Project AI aircraftSame scenery now that all my AI aircraft are Project AI - 8 to 14 fps. (can get as low as 4 fps for a few instances)Heathrow / Gatwick (3rd party scenery) 8 - 15 fps all parking spaces taken. (can get as low as 5 fps every now and then).If the previous post is true then I will get around a 500% increase in FPS by moving up about 30MHz on the CPU and upgrading to a GeForce4?????? Even with the smaller die on the new Intel Chipset and faster RAM....well....Not to be a Doubting Thomas or insult anyone BUT, the numbers don't add up. BUT if you post a screenshot with those numbers, I will go right down to the computer store and spend WHATEVER is needed to get a similar system! :-lolMike T.

>This will be my final post on this topic as I am tired of >being bashed about. I did state in a previous post that I >had no AA for those FPS - that is why I stated further up >that I was unaware of all the sensitivities and hype. I was >just trying to help Rob who wanted info on performance on >high spec machines of which I am lucky to have one. >>I am truly sorry it created such a hornets nest. :-( Simon,Sorry if I missed your "other" post, as far as the "hype" bit, I think we have all done that at some point, but thousands of dollars later it all becomes a bit "too real" and so I think you can understand the sensitivity. Just to add to the figures, if you take AAx2 out of the equation the "real" numbers are 35-40 FPS average ALL settings maxed again that is a on a P4b-3.0gig machine, 50-85 FPS are surely possible but they are not real average performance figures, do a 2-3minute flight and Benchmark it, that will bring you back down to reality real quick.>>I certainly wont get involved in postings like this again!No need not to be involved, just try to keep it "real". :)

>BUT if you post a screenshot with >those numbers, I will go right down to the computer store >and spend WHATEVER is needed to get a similar system! :-lol >>Mike T.Careful! :)1600x1200x32 AAx4http://www.frontiernet.net/~pleatzaw/images/50miegs.jpghttp://www.frontiernet.net/~pleatzaw/images/100miegs.jpgSorry, didn't mention I had mesh at 70% along with almost every other setting down a good third or more! :-lol Just making a point anyone can post high FPS shots but it doesn't tell the whole story, all I can say is that everyone should do their homework and use their heads before they $pend. :)