Sign in to follow this  

Pentium IV 2.53 533 Bus with at least 512 1066 speed me

No worries.......The funny thing is the 533 FSB is the same price as the 400FSB (well it was a couple of weeks ago when I bought it).Now thats weird.

Guest SD Sim

Hi Simon,Don't take offense. It's just that we've seen so many claims of great performance, only to learn that "everything is maxed except that autogen is turned off"!! However, there are other less obvious "max" settings like aricraft and scenery shadows that when disabled, really improve performance. It's just that when there are so many little settings to really "max" out everything, those of us with everything turned way up really do find it astonishing to see others report such success. I myself can only achieve about 20fps, and that's with ATC turned off (it doesn't work with WidevieW) and water textures set to detail. But then again, I only run at 1.5 real GHz (in theory the same as 1.8GHz P4). Unfortunately, I have to hold off for a while before doing anything else with my system (and it really does make me pretty happy the way it is).And please, don't get me started about those blurry pop-up textures.

Fair enough - I'm new to this forum so I can undertand if people are sensitive due to past events/postings which I'm not aware of.

Robbie if you have been around FS for awhile you understand that all reports of performance have to be taken in the context of all situations possible, if you get my drift: how many addons are running? What is the screen resolution? How about DX sound acceleration settings? The whole banana! If you are lucky enough to have ALL aspects of your system fully compatible, fully set up right, with the right combination of drivers, BIOS settings, etc etc ad nauseum, then you MAY end up with a super performer. All arguments such as "it's the cpu that matters most" or whatever, are all very much system dependent. I have certainly had excellent performance FOR MY SYSTEM SPECS, but it's time for an upgrade, and this time, we are going full tilt! Anyway, at this time I feel the best chances are with a P4 Northwood core. I am very interested in Gigabyte's GA-8IHXP mainboard. If you haven't already, read about it at Tom's Hardware. It has almost everything you could want in a high performance mainboard: GA-8IHXP Intel

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Guest Joshieca

Holly stuff in my toilet! I just maxed everything out and with 100% AI ATC I was able to get 70fps. Wow!! I am just amazed at what my system can do! I took some screen shots, but then my computer froze and I lost them. Sorry! x(

Guest PaulL01

>Hi Rob, >>I am using a Pentium IV 2.4 GHz with 533 FSB with 512 MB >2700 RAM on an ASUS P4B533 MB. The vid card is Asus GF4 >T14600 with 29.92 drivers running on Windows 98SE (old >fashioned I guess!). >>With all sliders to the max I get FPS of over 50 in most >areas. Around Heathrow with Project AI and other traffic I >get approx 38 FPS. >>It is totally smooth with no stutters, pauses or anything >else. No problems with ATC either. >>Definitely a worthwhile investment! >>Simon >Duncraig (Perth)Glad you like your machine Simon, :)The new P4-B's are really great solid machines.However...I've had Fs2k2 running on many a P4-533FSB machine with the DDR as well as Rdram PC1066 on Intel/Asuss boards with a few setups o/c all the way up to 3.0Gigs which may I add make for one sweet sweet machine but these highly tweaked machines get absolutly no where near the performance that you speak of and I can gaurantee to anyone here that if you except Your performance figures... "With all sliders to the max I get FPS of over 50 in most areas... Around Heathrow with Project AI and other traffic I get approx 38 FPS." ...You will be very disapointed, These machines are very much the "go to" machines but please Simon spare us the hype, expect good solid figures of around 20-30 with AAx2 at 1280x960 and this is with very high O/C Ti4600 cards (315/750).To see performance of which you speak at just a plain old AAx2 at 1280x960x32 in any kind of detailed area with ATC with ALL settings maxed you will need around a 4.0Ghz 8xAGP R9700/NV30 machine, at the least. :-eekIf anyone wants to see some published numbers please have a look at http://www4.tomshardware.com/ or here's a decent review of exactlt this hardware on FS2k2 at Simhq: http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/hardware/reviews/p42530/Glad you like your machine Simon Please but havent we had enough of all the hype? :-rollLater

This will be my final post on this topic as I am tired of being bashed about. I did state in a previous post that I had no AA for those FPS - that is why I stated further up that I was unaware of all the sensitivities and hype. I was just trying to help Rob who wanted info on performance on high spec machines of which I am lucky to have one.I am truly sorry it created such a hornets nest. :-(I certainly wont get involved in postings like this again!

comoman:To put it into perspective here are my system specs.P2.0Ghz OC'd to 2.2+Ghz384MB PC 800 RAMBUSGeforece 3 OC'd to 240/540Dual 80MB WD Caviar Drives at 10,000RPMEverything is cooled with Orbs and Hard drive coolingASUS P4T MBNOW, performance.Default scenery all sliders - 30fpsMost sliders (cloud density and visibility pulled back a few notches, everything else 100% - my daily config) - 45-50fps defaultFinallySimflyers KEWR scenery with every single parking space taken - 5 to 8 fps without all Project AI aircraftSame scenery now that all my AI aircraft are Project AI - 8 to 14 fps. (can get as low as 4 fps for a few instances)Heathrow / Gatwick (3rd party scenery) 8 - 15 fps all parking spaces taken. (can get as low as 5 fps every now and then).If the previous post is true then I will get around a 500% increase in FPS by moving up about 30MHz on the CPU and upgrading to a GeForce4?????? Even with the smaller die on the new Intel Chipset and faster RAM....well....Not to be a Doubting Thomas or insult anyone BUT, the numbers don't add up. BUT if you post a screenshot with those numbers, I will go right down to the computer store and spend WHATEVER is needed to get a similar system! :-lolMike T.

Guest PaulL01

>This will be my final post on this topic as I am tired of >being bashed about. I did state in a previous post that I >had no AA for those FPS - that is why I stated further up >that I was unaware of all the sensitivities and hype. I was >just trying to help Rob who wanted info on performance on >high spec machines of which I am lucky to have one. >>I am truly sorry it created such a hornets nest. :-( Simon,Sorry if I missed your "other" post, as far as the "hype" bit, I think we have all done that at some point, but thousands of dollars later it all becomes a bit "too real" and so I think you can understand the sensitivity. Just to add to the figures, if you take AAx2 out of the equation the "real" numbers are 35-40 FPS average ALL settings maxed again that is a on a P4b-3.0gig machine, 50-85 FPS are surely possible but they are not real average performance figures, do a 2-3minute flight and Benchmark it, that will bring you back down to reality real quick.>>I certainly wont get involved in postings like this again!No need not to be involved, just try to keep it "real". :)

Guest PaulL01

>BUT if you post a screenshot with >those numbers, I will go right down to the computer store >and spend WHATEVER is needed to get a similar system! :-lol >>Mike T.Careful! :)1600x1200x32 AAx4http://www.frontiernet.net/~pleatzaw/images/50miegs.jpghttp://www.frontiernet.net/~pleatzaw/images/100miegs.jpgSorry, didn't mention I had mesh at 70% along with almost every other setting down a good third or more! :-lol Just making a point anyone can post high FPS shots but it doesn't tell the whole story, all I can say is that everyone should do their homework and use their heads before they $pend. :)

It must be that the 533bus and the 1066Mhz memory speed are the reasons for the increased performance. Maybe the memory bandwidth was the reason for the poor performance. Simon, do you have any detailed scenery addons?Rob

Hi Noel,I have been hooked on FS for awhile but am tired of chasing it was hardware to run it. I have sworn with I will not purchase FS2004 until 2005 because it will probably be 2005 when the appropriate hardware is avaiable to run it. By that time, you will probably have to fly the real think in preparation to work with the simulator. I enjoyed reading your email. Your thinking is on the same plane as mine, albeit with a bit more detail. I started with FS5.1 and remembered installing a Diamond Stealth video card with 4Mb of RAM in hopes of increasing my FPS. Although it was considered the fastest card at the time, it did nothing to increase framerates on my Pentium 75Mhz 8MB system. It was only when I dropped in the Intel overdrive processor (125Mhz) did my framerates increase to a comfortable level. The same was true for FS6 (95) when I later upgraded my entire CPU and motherboard (166Mhz processor) and added the original Voodoo. The addition of the Voodoo from the Stealth increased speed for all other games but did nothing for FS95. In FS98, it was a different story, the videocard seemed to make all the world of difference because I saw a substantial jump in Frames per second when I added the RIVA 128 card and even more later when I replaced it with the Voodoo3 2000. But to make FS run completely smooth, I had to get me a 300hz processor that would run on the 66Mhz Bus. When FS2000 came out, I had to completely trash that system in favor of the Athlon 700Mhz processor where changing the video card had very little impact on the performance of FS2000. There was actually a website called FSBench.com which did a more scientific analysis of the CPU/Videocard interaction in FS2000. It was the best hardware site ever on FS issues. Anyway, it actually showed that the PCI Voodoo3 2000 performed slightly better than the AGP verson of the Voodoo3 3000 and that the card that bested all of them was an old PCI Banchee card, all of which performed slightly better than the top card at the time which was the TNT2 in terms of FPS.I think that FS2002 is more CPU dependent than FS98 but slightly less than FS2000 if you are strictly talkin about frames per second. All of the additions you are talking about are indeed important with FS2002 (number of addons, screen resolution ect). What is DX sound resolution? That's a new one. Which sound cards do you prefer for FS2002?I do keep up with Tomshardware.com and Anandtech.com. Both are excellect sites. I did notice that Tomshardware recommended the Gigabyte board and has been using it as their reference board ever since. I don't seem to get much difference running FS2002 between AGP on vs. AGP off. I guess you are anticipating FS2004. A couple of weeks ago, I thought the same thing. I thought that it must be the accessing the harddrive for the ATC voices that caused the stuttering. However, I did not realize there was as much harddrive activity going on as that your data showed. The SCSI choice would make sense if you wanted to minimize harddrive/CPU involvement. What is FMax? At that time, I thought about the new WD 120GB drive with 8MB buffer which is supposed to be the bomb in terms of data transfer. I went to Storagereview.com and saw that the new WD beat the 10000RPM SCSI drives in data transfer and gaming performance, although it does not seem to work as fast as the 15,000 RPM drives. Why are you wanting to go with 2 SCSIs and not just one? I can understand wanting an ATA drive for cheap storage, but you mention is as a "BOOTABLE back up." How will you use this ATA drive? Will is actually be in your system? My knowledge of this stuff has too many gaps. Your setup and knowledge of this stuff sounds impressive. I am glad to have met you.Rob

>P2.0Ghz OC'd to 2.2+Ghz>384MB PC 800 RAMBUS>Geforece 3 OC'd to 240/540>Dual 80MB WD Caviar Drives at 10,000RPM>Everything is cooled with Orbs and Hard drive cooling>ASUS P4T MB>Simflyers KEWR scenery with every single parking space taken - 5 to >8 fps without all Project AI aircraft>Same scenery now that all my AI aircraft are Project AI - 8 to 14 >fps. (can get as low as 4 fps for a few instances)Tell me about Simflyers KEWR and Project AI aircraft.Do you find that the 10,000RPM SCSIs help with reducing pauses and stutters from the ATC and AI?Thanks,RobbieI guess a more realistic goal should be to wait until the P4 3G machines come out.