Sign in to follow this  
beorn

737NG: All Kinds of Brakes

Hi everyone!I have a couple of questions regarding the brakes, both normal and speed brakes.First, the speed brakes do not deploy after touch down, though armed.The a/c touches the runway, the green light "Speedbrakes armed" remains on, the speed brakes lever remains in the "armed" position, nothing happens. I activate the reverse thrust -- nothing happens either.Do I have to deploy them manually? I think it's something abnormal.Second, are there any speed restrictions for the wheel brakes? Or can I apply them immediately after touchdown and activating reverse thrust?And one more thing. What speed should the reverse be applied until under normal conditions? 80 kts?Thanks in advance!

The 737 spoilers have quirks... I deploy them on touchdown by hitting the / key instead of relying on them being armed. Then I hit the F1 key to ensure throttles are closed and then the F2 key to bring up reverse thrust. Reverse thrust is used from touchdown until you've slowed to 60 kts. Then I hit the F1 key again to remove reverse thrust. Braking is as soon as nose gear is down through about 40 kts or lower depending on where turn-off is and if it is a high speed turn-off or not. Before I turn-off I hit the / again to park the spoilers and the F5 key to pull up the flaps.This works everytime and looks to be very close to how SWA steps through these items.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest airbus2

Hey."the speed brakes do not deploy after touch down, though armed."Make sure you have throttles set to idle."are there any speed restrictions for the wheel brakes?"Auto brakes are usually used. A setting of 2 is what i use. These engage automatically after touchdown, at 60kts i deactivate them, at 60kts i also..."What speed should the reverse be applied until under normal conditions?"You guessed it, i stop reverse thrust at around 60kts.Dave

>The 737 spoilers have quirks...Oh yeah, that's what I noticed.> Then>I hit the F1 key to ensure throttles are closed and then the>F2 key to bring up reverse thrust.Do you use only the F-keys to control the engines or a yoke with a thrust lever too, like Saitek X45. I'm asking this, because Dave has written about this F1-push too. Is the joystick throttle unreliable?> Reverse thrust is used from>touchdown until you've slowed to 60 kts.Aha, 60 kts, not 80, ok.>Braking is as soon as nose gear is downWow, the bird should have a perfect brakes cooling system in this case! :-)>This works everytime and looks to be very close to how SWA>steps through these items.Yeah, I watched the Aiport movie a couple of days ago. Though there's a B707 and the movie itself is pretty old, they already had such a thing like speed brakes armed position. But the pilots deplyed them manually after tuch down. I thought that was just a fiction, a movie which is not very close to the real life. But now that you're telling me apout those standard SWA procedures, I'm starting to belive it is really done quite often.Thank you!

>Make sure you have throttles set to idle.I've always been pretty sure that thay were. The thrust lever on my joystick was set to the lowest position.>These engage automatically after touchdown,Do they? I've always thought it is necessary to push the brakes button to activate the brakes which then would use the value set with the autobrakes switch.>You guessed it, i stop reverse thrust at around 60kts.OK, now I'm aware of the correct speeds. Thanx!

I have no problems with the spoilers deploying automatically upon touch down. I can't remember a time that they didn't. It is true that the throttles have to be at idle BEFORE touch down or the spoilers with not automatically deploy.

Dave Paige

"I've always been pretty sure that thay were. The thrust lever on my joystick was set to the lowest position."Привет, Michael.Some joystick/sim combinations require that you calibrate your joystick thrust lever so that engine idle is reached slightly before the lever is fully aft. When you calibrate your thrust lever, don't pull the lever all the way aft (Leave a few millimeters of travel).Please refer to the FAQ's for arming the speedbrakes in the 737NG. >These engage automatically after touchdown,Do they? I've always thought it is necessary to push the brakes button to activate the brakes which then would use the value set with the autobrakes switch.Pushing the brakes button after touchdown will DEACTIVATE your autobrakes. Set the brakes in flight and when your rear wheels touch down, the brakes will activate automatically.Hope this helps.ПокаQ>