Sign in to follow this  
Guest Flyingdutchman

Freeware Developers Give them a break

Then I failed Mike to send the correct picture in the correct email :)HAHAHAHA

I agree. If I were a freeware author I would certainly like to know what reasonably criticism is out there. This is what this forum is for. If the only thing available was unbound praise or silence - what good it is for. :-hmmmI don't know about aircraft but many scenery designers specifically ask for feedback. So maybe some aircraft designers should specifically request that there be not any feedback ;-)Michael J.

Noone asks or expects unbound praise. I welcome and expect feedback on my aircraft. I've made numerous enhancements and fixes to my aircraft as a result of user feedback. Most of my designs are found as version 2 or version 3 in the library for this very reason.But there is a difference between constructive feedback and pointless (and all too often obnoxious) complaining. My pet peave is "Why did you do it that way?". My answer is "Because I did it and you didn't."Lets say your lawnmower was broken, and your neighbor loaned you his for nothing. While using it you noticed that the engine was missing and one of the wheels was a little loose. Now there's two ways to handle this. You can mow your lawn, then give the mower back to your neighbor and say "Hey, if you're going to let me use your mower, at least have the decency to give the engine a tune-up, and fix that #$&@ loose wheel will you?" Or you could say "Hey thanks for letting me use it. It ran a little rough so I cleaned the spark plug and now it runs great. Oh, and I tightened that loose wheel for you". Which do you think has the best chance of you getting the lawn mower again next time you need it?Mike Stone

Hi Mike,I support each and every word you say.:-)And people wonders why so many "freeware developers" stops with freeware and goes over to the "other side" (payware):-lolFly safe, :-waveStaffan Ahlberg - FFG

Staffan

Guest Delta_747

I agree 100%. Freeware developers do everything to make there aircraft perfect, yet there is allways someone complaining. I could care less if an aircraft is not flying like the real thing, partly because I have and will never probly fly such an aircraft as a 747 or 777 as the pilot and will never know what is feels like. All I expect from all developers is a good aircraft that I can have FUN with. After all that is what a game is supposed to do.I say ignore the complainers and just enjoy the aircraft.Thanks for all these wonderful aircraft freeware developers, I don't know what we would do without you.

"I think we should develop a "wall of shame" that freeware authors post some of the more agregious email they get"I have a rich compendium stored over the years, but to be fair also some very nice ones too. One day I will reveal all!Regards,Rob Young

I think most freeware developers expect some criticism and learn to deal with negative criticism. The problem is when someone starts bashing them. There

Guest phil

>"wall of shame" Didn't Roy Chaffin have one of those for his anti-piracy campaign?>agregious email Sounds horrible, but what is an "agregious email"? :-hmmm phil;-)

Though I do agree with almost everything said here, I think we need to see this from both sides. For example, if I were to repaint an aircraft, post a preview, and somebody said "Oh, it sucks ;)" I just plain assume they're kidding, and if I were to see something like "Well, I think your paint is a tad off, you need to fix the placement of that logo and maybe change that color :)" I'd generally assume that the person is well intentioned because of that smile.However, on the other side, a lot of mail can be misconstrewn quite easily. The fact that an e-mail is supposed to be a formal means of communication would mean that generally one doesnt include a ;) or :) at the end of a sentace, therefore things can be seen in a whole different way, especially depending on your mood at the time. I know we've all had a sitation like this, where somebody wrote you an e-mail and you misunderstood something because you weren't sure of the context because you cannot see their emotions or face as they say it, ending in either an embarassing situation or just getting angry because you thought they said something they didn't.And, of course the point is that a lot of these indignent e-mails could easily have been misunderstood and seen the wrong way, which is why I urge anyone who does recieve an "angry" e-mail to read over it multiple times and consider any possible other tones that the author could have meant before replaing. Of course, i'm not defending the people who get kicks out of writing private e-mails to hard working authors flaming their work and not giving a good reason why, and just enjoying the reactions. Now thats the end of rant number one.Now for rant number two,I noticed Vince had said "Even if you

To be serious ,If you go to a shop and BUY a 747 and it is 40 feet short then you should say I am happy with it exept it is 40 feet short could you change it for a longer one PLEASE (big smile)If you go to a Junkyard and FIND a 747 for FREE and it is 40 feet short you should ask yourself "shall i take it home or leave it here"you do not got to the owner and say "Ok I know it is free but I want it 40 feet longer"you just leave it there ,and if you are that worried you go to a shop.Maby the author likes it shorter because it fits in garage at home ,why should he make it How YOU like it ?I bet Mike makes his Planes the Way He wants them and if you want him to do this the way You like them then pay him lots of money or go to a shop.I hope you understand this :)Anniette

I quite agree, I have downloaded a lot of freeware for FS2002 most is Ok, some is not and some is absolutely fantastic. If I find something that I would consider a "bug" then I may ask the author about it (eg aircraft sinking into runway, spinning uncontrolably or just "not working"). If there is something I don't like about it then I either live with it and use the aircraft, don't use the aircraft or try to alter it to change what I do not like.Criticism - constructive or otherwise I would only send to the author if it was requested in the README, although if I like an aircraft I may well send a quick e-mail to let the author know that I appreciate his/her work.

Tom - just make sure that they're all "locked threads"! :-lol

BobK

".... Are Garmin units correctly simulated on the Meridian ? Probably not even close. How about the ATR ? You would really need a major effort involving pilots that actually fly these airplanes... " (Michael J., May-14-02)You call this a feedback, I'd better use a different word to describe it.

Guest Milio_B

I agree with everything said here. People should not complaint about freeware...However, it won't be possible to make this change. This is life. And in this hobby we have all the "bad qualitites" (dunno the exact word) we have in real life. People that are jealous, they complaint. People that have fun harrassing other people, they complaint. People that like to point out everything that's wrong without thinking it could hurt the author.So, we must accept that ironically, this is the price that freeware has come to, there will always be complainers, and as much as we hate them they won't dissappear :)Hehehe, not a very optimistic message I guess, but it's my 2 cents (or my 8 centavos de Peso Argentino)

Guest Flyingdutchman

I totally agree with you!!!!!!!!!!Regards,Evert