Sign in to follow this  
Guest Flyingdutchman

Freeware Developers Give them a break

>To be serious ,If you go to a shop and BUY a 747 and it is >40 feet short then you should say I am happy with it exept >it is 40 feet short could you change it for a longer one >PLEASE (big smile) >If you go to a Junkyard and FIND a 747 for FREE and it is 40 >feet short you should ask yourself "shall i take it home or >leave it here" >you do not got to the owner and say "Ok I know it is free >but I want it 40 feet longer"you just leave it there ,and if >you are that worried you go to a shop. I see your point, and I understand that because they're giving it away they can take certain liberties because of that, but there has to be a line drawn. The thing is, this is exactly the point im trying to make. If we just relax and tell everyone that they can make a 747-400 40 feet too short and we will still like it, then we've just told people that its okay to create a flawed model. For a good example, lets say you go to a restaraunt and you're told that because the owner is feeling generous he's giving free meals to everybody. So you order some steak, and they bring it out and its not cooked, and the people to the right of your table find a piece of a rat inside their ravioli. So because the meal is free you cannot complain about the undercooked steak, and the other diners cannot complain because their meals were free? I know that the authors put in a lot of effort, but with the advance of FS2002 I noticed a lot more people trying their hand at modelling, most skilled, and to be honest some aren't (though I will not mention names). The problem is, if these beginners have problems in their model and are told that they're great, and because of the mentality that "its free so we cant say anything bad about it" they'll continue making flawed models, and probably never learn.Personally, I think that, despite most popular belief, if we keep this attitude towards freeware its going to eventually just die because quality keeps slipping. Of course, we do have people like the great people at POSKY, FFG, and Mikko, and Mike and many others who just keep getting better, so lets hope more people like them show up!Just my 2 cents, again :)Scott

Very catch 22 isn't it ??If an author intoduces their first model & gets slated then they may give it up and never make another model which may be an improvement on the first. If they don't get constructive criticism then they may never know if they are doing something wrong.There again some of the criticism I have read posted by Mike Stone (about his work) and some of the other authors here is obviously written by muppets with a complete disregard for tact, diplomacy and good manners....Perhaps careful selection of "beta testers" is going to give some good feedback, rather than some of the unhelpful comments we all see plastered across the forum.

Guest RobA

Bob, Have to agree also 100% I create freeware scenery for the Caribbean because I love flying for Tradewinds Caribbean Airlines VA. The only emails I've received have been very positive, no clinkers. :-) But, I'd certainly appreaciate it if someone WOULD offer an idea or two! I never complain about freeware because I know how long it takes to create anything. Some of the programs used aren't for the faint of heart either. LOL I give it away to the community as it just seems natural. :-) Between Kyle Ramsey and myself, TCA now has over 35 Seaplane Stations in the Caribbean, from KMTH-Marathon down to the Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Dominican Repubic, Hatti, British VI, and soon at TNNC at the southern end. It's all for fun and boy are we ever having some now!!!! he he Best regards, Rob[table border=2 bgcolor=#eeeeee][tr][td]http://avsim.com/flightdeck/images/Radar_small.gif[/td][td]Beta tester for Radar Contact] the premier ATC adventure add-on for FS