Sign in to follow this  
Guest 747lover

737 ng flight dynamics

Guest 747lover

Hello again.I have recently started flying the 737-6,7,8,900 series again after flying wilco/feelthere classic 737 series.They have both scored high in flight dynamics according to critics.But they fly very different in some aspects.When flying the pmdg version,I feel that I am skidding very much in turns at low speed (for example turning from base to final)I realy have to use a lot of rudder to get the turn coordinated.This is somthing I don,t have to do in the wilco version.A former 737 driver I talked to(He flew only 400 and 500 series)praised the wilco versions flight dynamics.At first I thought the reason for the difference is the ng series increased wingspan which could trigger adverse yav moments specially in the short 6 and 700 series where the vertical fin work on a too short moment arm to counteract the adverse yav moment.But the same tendency to skid in turns is also there on the much longer 8 and 900 series.I would like to hear other,s opinion on this from both professionals and other hardcore simmers like myself.

Somehow I've missed seeing an inclinometer (the little ball), how do you know you are uncoordinated?

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest 747lover

The slip /skid indicator on the ng series is on the top in the EADI,It is not a conventional ball like on the classics

Thanks much... I've missed that and wondered why.Anyway, just took a spin around the local circuit and rolled pretty quickly from 30 left to 30 right (banks) and just played for a couple of minutes and watched.I don't seem to have much yaw with moderate control input (I guess that's how I missed the indication), and when I use full deflection I get the indicator moving almost a bar width. I can center it with a minor twist of my rudder axis.I am using the vanilla MS Sidewinder, twist the stick for yaw, and I twist max 1/2 travel during the highest roll rates. It's hard to compare with your experience, and I might not be helping. Doesn't seem "out of balance" to a straight-wing pilot.Thanks again for pointing out the turn coordinator.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest 747lover

Try to turn short final at about 170-180 knots with flaps nearing landing configuration.To make it more easy use the small v or three dots as axis indicator in the fs main menu.Use no rudder during the turn.Bring the wings to level when the nose point to the runway.Then you will see the difference.The wilco 737 PIC goes where the nose points.While the PMDG version continius to skid in the direction of the turn.To realy compare you have to have the wilco version also.I don,t say PMDG have wrong fd.I realy don,t know,but the difference interrest me a lot.

I tried it with/without yaw damper and didn't the the effect of skid after leveling out from turn. Our techniques are probably different.While playing, I tried what I was taught as a student and picked a point straight ahead on the horizon while in level flight, then initiated turns left or right. The point will hesistate or even start moving in the wrong direction of the turn without enough rudder; whereas with correct rudder the point starts slowly & smoothly moving in the right direction for the turn. Not hard to do in this plane (this lesson also teaches p-factor, certainly not a factor in the jet).I'm not surprised that different simulators behave different, but I trust the PMDG model for being as well done as the limits of the MSFS air package will allow. The first simulator I flew was an analog Link C-141 US Air Force Starlifter... the computer took a 12x20 room and no visuals! I'll never forget that trip.

Dan Downs KCRP