Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tom C.

FS-X functionality vs FS-9 as it is now?

Guest Tom C.

Whiie reading many forum's that I'm subscribed to, I thought of a question as to the mindset of all FS users,We all know how FS-X has improved the general experience to the user, if you have a good enough system, but where does your priorities lie?Are you willing to stick with FS9 for the foreseeable future, and all the add-ons you heve now, or would you accept FS-X default as is, with better systems as PMDG suggest are on the way, is. MD-11, 737NG 747-FS-X?I never had any Flight Sim before FS9 so I have no idea how the changeover from FS2002 to FS9 went.Please don't leave this question/post drop into a FS-X v FS9 free for all, I;m just curious as to how everyone feels as regards reality vs eye candy.

All of the addons like GE Pro, Active Sky, etc are coming out very soon for FSX as well.I think people need to stop seeing this as some extreme choice where you must dump FS9 in order to use X. I've had both installed since FSX's release. They do work side by side.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

>I never had any Flight Sim before FS9 so I have no idea how>the changeover from FS2002 to FS9 went.Hi,When moving from FS2002 to FS2004, I had only a few add-ons, probably for a few $100 so the transition was a no brainer.This time however the move to FSX is something completely different, I have invested several $1000's in FS9.Although having capable hardware, for me personally it is simply not worth to move to FSX and do it all over again: The differences between FS9 and FSX are (for me) too marginal to justify.

System: AMD 7800X3D - X670 Mobo - RTX 4090 - 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 - Corsair RM1000x PSU - 2 x 2TB SSD - 32" 1440p Display - Windows 11

Well, as someone who plans to actually go into aviation, I must say that when you look at it, FSX offers the eye candy while PMDG and other addon companies will offer the realism. I see the upgrade sort of necessary in that it's the only way to keep the realism. The eye candy is just a bonus. I'll admit that right now everything is still in development. But look at what's about to come out. You have the 747X and the MD-11 which will add so many real world systems to our FS experience and it will only be for FSX. Radar Contact 5 is in development and will probably only be FSX capable. Also, with the new weather and scenery addons from HiFi adding Hurricanes and new weather and environmental phenomenon to FS, the realism will be preserved to some point if not increased. Simply it's not a matter of upgrading to FSX, it's more of a question of do you want all the FSX addons? It won't only be eye candy. Although seeing those birds trying uselessly trying to get out of the way of your 747X would be fun! Unless PMDG simulated bird strikes, then you would really be taking realism to a whole new level!Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png

Guest Robin.B

I'm not upgrading my computer for FSX (not enough cash), so it's FS9 for me for another 2 years.Best Regards,Robin Bilgil

>>I never had any Flight Sim before FS9 so I have no idea how>>the changeover from FS2002 to FS9 went.>>Hi,>When moving from FS2002 to FS2004, I had only a few add-ons,>probably for a few $100 so the transition was a no brainer.>This time however the move to FSX is something completely>different, I have invested several $1000's in FS9.>Although having capable hardware, for me personally it is>simply not worth to move to FSX and do it all over again: The>differences between FS9 and FSX are (for me) too marginal to>justify. >>I can only second that and am now seriously considering pulling the plug on flight simming, after about 15 years.Enough is enough, FSX will be around for maybe two to three years and there will again be another version of FS. It's not that I cannot afford it but all the hassles involved for making a new version working half OK are just not worth it anymore, in my book at least.

>I'm not upgrading my computer for FSX (not enough cash), so>it's FS9 for me for another 2 years.>>Best Regards,>>Robin BilgilSame here. Being disabled and living with my parents, sure can't afford to just go out and buy a new computer every time that FS or anything else moves beyond the capabilities of what I currently have.BTW Robin, any news on that NWA repaint for the PMDG 744 you mentioned?Tim