Sign in to follow this  
victorfcl

PMDG 747 SOUND

Hi everyone,I'd like to know if there is a good engine sound for the pmdg 747 and 747F especially with the GE engines I tried downloading it from the pmdg website but to be honest I expected more, I downloaded one from the avsim page to be specific from Devyn Silverstei(GE sound) this one really rocks on the take off phase but I don't like the sound when you apply the brakes when you're descelerating after touchdown (of course)Another thing the program FS2crew(PMDG 747 EDITION) just provides the sound for the cockpit or it provides for the engines, too.Any advices are welcome,Regards,VIctor.

Victor,The soundset update we released was painstakingly created from real 744 recordings and was validated by multiple real life 744 pilots. What are you basing your complaints about it on? Most FS soundsets do not sound realistic at all, ie, engines way too loud from the cockpit, too much "roar" from in front of the engine, far too little wind noise etc...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I can understand the company frustration with posts like this.. if you're going for realism.. the sound set is top notch.. if you're after a hollywood style sound set for your speaker set up.. perhaps it's not for you.. Personally I like the real sound set :)CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

I whole-heartedly agree.. please no hollywood sounds. I avoid movies with airplanes (except a few notables). I would avoid a simulation that sounded like one.

Dan Downs KCRP

>I whole-heartedly agree.. please no hollywood sounds. I avoid>movies with airplanes (except a few notables). I would avoid a>simulation that sounded like one.Indeed, but avoid movies with pretty much everything!Jay.

Guest visualchaosfx

>Hi everyone,>>I'd like to know if there is a good engine sound for the pmdg>747 and 747F especially with the GE engines I tried>downloading it from the pmdg website but to be honest I>expected more, I downloaded one from the avsim page to be>specific from Devyn Silverstei(GE sound) this one really rocks>on the take off phase but I don't like the sound when you>apply the brakes when you're descelerating after touchdown (of>course)>>Another thing the program FS2crew(PMDG 747 EDITION) just>provides the sound for the cockpit or it provides for the>engines, too.>>Any advices are welcome,>>Regards,>>VIctor.I can assure you that the updated sound set located on the PMDG site is the best there is. If you want to fully emmerse yourself with the sounds, I would suggest connecting your PC to a home theater system.Here is a link to my custom built home car audio system:http://www.mycockpit.org/photopost/showgal...500&ppuser=1612This baby pounds when I'm in the PMDG 747.Lee Alexander

No offence but to me, that "PMDG Stereo" is overkill. Other than that, I admit I've tried other sound packages but like everyone else here said, the PMDG set is really the best you'll find. The others give engine sounds usually experienced when sitting in the window seat next to engine 2 or 3. They also have the sound of the APU when you shouldn't hear it from the cockpit. That and I've had some pretty bad frame hits for some reason.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png

>This baby pounds when I'm in the PMDG 747.>>Lee Alexander>You must have some extremely tolerant and understanding nieghbours :-)

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest visualchaosfx

>>This baby pounds when I'm in the PMDG 747.>>>>Lee Alexander>>>>You must have some extremely tolerant and understanding>nieghbours :-)lol. Thats the beauty part about it. You can't really here it when your outside. If I opened the windows you can here it more.:DLee Alexander

Guest dt1951

Ugghhhh. Another "I want more realistic sounds" when, in fact, they want more engine sounds in the cockpit. In the real world how much in the way of sounds are you expecting from engines that are well below, outboard, and aft of the cockpit?

I got rid of the PMDG sound update as i didn't like them (and not because i wanted hollywood sounds) I have been fortunate to fly jumpseat pre 9/11 on a number of ocassions on the 767-300 a340-300 and 747-400. My father flies the 744F for an asian company but i dont stand a chance of getting on board one of those aircraft. :( the best soundfile i have found for the -400 is rb211-524_super_pack.zip on avsim the only tweaks i made were to increase wind volume (you should not be able to hear hardly any engine noise above 200knots) and replace the touchdown and groundroll sound. Trust me, try this and you will see how much better it is. Robert Prest

Rob Prest

Guest cfm56

Hello DanW,While I cannot speak for anyone else on this forum, I can say for myself that when I Say "I want more realistic sounds" Im talking about a healthy balance between the volume of the engines, the overall volume of the everything that makes a sound in the cockpit, the overall volume of the wind sound and its ability to drown everything out, and finally the timbre of all these elements. And yes I agree there are air density factors,fs9/X limitations, and other factors to consider.... including one's position in ref to the engines, thats why - in no way - do i find engine sound volume or "more engine sounds in the cockpit" part of the immersion. With that said, MY ONLY gripe with the PMDG sound update is the Timbre(sound color) of the GE soundset (at idle nd full power) sounds similar to what the timbre of the PW engine should sound like and they both sound similar....IN MY HONEST OPINION. And im well aware of the whole perception thing when it comes to hearing sounds, but that only goes so far... in fact ill bet my Saitek x52 pro joystick that those of us who are musically inclined can tell from listening to a piece of music when a saxophone, a clarinet, a trumpet, or a trombone is playing from a recording. Nonethless, Im not knocking PMDG - having been in the 744 office of a major flag carrier at jfk, I can say with certainty that the cockpit fans and 'everything that makes a sound in the cockpit' is spot on and the panel immersion and Flight dynamics is magniFico- but Im just saying though.....Gideon B