Sign in to follow this  
Guest glenlee

Saitek X52 Pro

Guest glenlee

Hi all, I've been looking at this x52 for a while now and have now saved enough to buy the Pro version. Before I do I wanted some feedback from other PMDG pilots who use the 52 either version to make sure it works ok with these aircraft.Any input, oppinion or advise would be appreciated.Thanks, Glen Lee

I've been using the X52 Pro for a few months now. Works for all aircraft that I've used it with (PMDG and LevelD). Best controller that I've ever owned. No way I could go back to using my old CH yoke. The MFD has also been make compatible with FS9. If you end up getting the Pro version, let me know and I'll give you the link to the guys website that made the MFD FS9 module.Also if you get it make sure you take the time to learn the button programming software. It was quite daunting for me at first, but once I figured it out it was well worth it. I have most of the MCP programmed to buttons which makes flying in the VC much easier. No more reaching for the mouse to change heading, altitude, speed etc..Dustin

Guest minnymike

it works, once you load up the fs2004 profile that comes with joy stick. Xp support of joystick 100%, vista support, beta drivers somewhat ready, fsx profiles, make them yourself or wait for the conversion tool.Billy

>I've been using the X52 Pro for a few months now. Works for>all aircraft that I've used it with (PMDG and LevelD). Best>controller that I've ever owned. No way I could go back to>using my old CH yoke. >>The MFD has also been make compatible with FS9. If you end up>getting the Pro version, let me know and I'll give you the>link to the guys website that made the MFD FS9 module.>>Also if you get it make sure you take the time to learn the>button programming software. It was quite daunting for me at>first, but once I figured it out it was well worth it. I have>most of the MCP programmed to buttons which makes flying in>the VC much easier. No more reaching for the mouse to change>heading, altitude, speed etc..>>DustinDustin, you did such an outstanding job of explaining some of the X52 Pro functionalities that there is a compelling reason to ditch my old standby MS Force Feedback 2. The ability to map MCP commands to the controller is a huge benefit and QOL enhancement to armchair sim flying. I presume that you use the X52 toggle wheels to spin airspeed, heading & altitude selectors? Ryan

Ryan Kelly

Ryan, I used the MS Force Feedback 2 several years ago, this joystick is several generations ahead of that one. It isn't cheap, but it's worth it in my mind. Every switch on the MCP is programed except for THR, ALT HOLD and HDG HOLD (only because I rarely if ever use them). It has 3 HAT switches. I use one for panning, one for MCP alt and heading increase/decrease, the last one for speed increase/decrease. The scroll wheel on the throttle controls the V/S wheel. The programming software allows you to program each HAT switch to serve as 8 different buttons (1 for each direction). With all the buttons on the stick and throttle programed, the hardest part is remembering which one does what, but once you do a few flights it becomes second nature.The cheapest place I found this joystick was Amazon. When I bought it GoGamer had a cheaper list price, but charged tax on orders delivered to my state, so I went with Amazon.Dustin

Guest johnegg

I too use the X52 and being able to easily program the buttons makes it the best joystick and throttle ever ! One other thing the customer service is the best I have ever experienced. Unfortunately I have had to return mine twice and Saitek are really helpful and replace or repair with no quibble.Regards JohnCore2 Duo 66002048 MB DDR160GB HDDNVidia 7950 512mbSaitek Flight SystemHead TrackerRC4AShttp://fs2crew.com/linepilot.jpg

Guest glenlee

WOW, it's really unusual to see so many positive reviews (even the last one from johnegg who is still happy after having to get replacements!!!)Many thanks for your advise everyone, I shall hit the e-shops now. I think Scan.co.uk had a good price last time I looked

Guest glenlee

+++additional+++just seen the guarded 'fire' switch on the joystick, how is that used in a jetliner?G

Well, you can use it the way you want it.I use it for disconnecting AP.

>Dustin, do you use the shift function to change what each key>does at any point or are there enough switches so you don't>have to? Can't help thinking I'm gonna get a bit lost when I>get it!!I use the shift-button for some "tricky" functions, like :* lowering the gear* extending and/or retracting flaps* TO/GAWhy ? => wel, it is not so healthy when touching "by accident" the button for lowering the gear when at FL410 and/or at .850Mach:-hahSame for the flaps and some other functions...And yes, in some cases for adding an extra key-combination (if you want to fly an airliner without touching the keyboard anymore you need some extra key-combination)

Guest glenlee

Oh, good idea, cheers.Can you use one of the wheels on the throttle as a tiller? I currently use a seperate joypad axis as tiller and spoiler.If so which wheel works best for thisThanks again,Glen

I use the top throttle wheel for a steering tiller. The slider on the throttle is for speed brakes. This you have to use FSUIPC to setup. I don't use a clutch in my profile, but use the Mode switcher to control gear and flaps.Dustin

Guest glenlee

Hi all, and thanks again for all the info..My X52pro arrived today and it looks every bit worth the money...I am lost though! Too many buttons and I still don't know what to use each for.Also did anyone else have trouble with the fs2004 profile? It doesn't seem to have any assignments when I run it.I guess I'm heading more into the Saitek support area so I'll go and find that (if there is one).Dustin - Any chance of that link you mentioned in your first post?Cheers allGlen lee

Yeah it is a great controller. I find that using the software to program the controller is the best way to go for me, because if you ever need to re-install FS you don't have to go back and reprogram everything in the sim, you just load up your profile. I use the same profile for FS9 and FSX that way as well.

Hi there,Congrats with your new controller.I have never used the fs2004 - profile.I can only give you one advice => make your own from scratch and build it up one way at a time so you know al the buttons in your head.If there is another function you miss, well you simply add it to the profile (you can do that even when FS is running, just make sure to reload the desired profile) and you can try it "on the fly".I have profiles for every other aircraft (i.e. an Cessna does not have an overhead panel for example) but the main function are the same for all aircrafts.I have my controller now about one year, and sometimes i think i have to change something for making things easier for me, so don't think you will find the perfect "profile" in one day.The profiles that you can find on the internet are created by people and for them that will be perfect, but for you some thing might be not that "logic" and thus not so good. Thats why i tell you to start from scratch and make a profile yourself.About the "programming thing", well, it is not that difficult at all (although not when you stick to the simple functions).Well, succes with your first profile ...