Sign in to follow this  
Guest wazzah

Fuel Load

Guest wazzah

As a newby to this great piece of kit, I need a little help. What is the best way to load up the fuel, do we use the FS9 screen or use the PMDG Load Manager or is there another method that I don't know about.

The AOM you got with the airplane is explicit in the warning to not use FS9 to load the 747. Use both the load manager and the PMDG options menu found on the FS9 menu bar.

Dan Downs KCRP

You can use either for loading the fuel, the advantage with the PMDG fuel manager is that the fuel is distributed correctly and also the fuel panel is setup for you. If you're a more advanced user you don't need to use the PMDG fuel load program. Sometimes I don't bother and for this reason. The problem with the fuel loader program provided by PMDG in the FS9 version is that it primes the fuel pumps for you. In reality I imagine when boarding a 747-400 at the gate when looking at the fuel panel no pumps will be primed and the panel will be set for the tank to engine condition.It's a matter of what you like best, PMDG recommend using their program, and if you're a newbie it's probably best to do so as it will set the fuel system up for you. If like me you understand pretty well how it works, it's not always necessary to use the PMDG program. Also, when loading flights the fuel management system for PMDG can be a little annoying as it will take the amount of fuel and distribute it perfectly, despite it being imperfect before the save. In reality a little fine tuning is required by the pilots to make sure the fuel system is setup properly.I usually load fuel at the gate with their package, as it saves workload on my part.. in the air if I load I usually take note of values and enter them manually in the MS loader.. (if I am feeling particularly inclined to get the realism).CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

'in the air if I load I usually take note of values and enter them manually in the MS loader.. (if I am feeling particularly inclined to get the realism).'Hi In real life can you refuel the 744 in midair -it will be cool.Anybody know how they do it.Qas

What I meant by take note of values in the air.. is that when you load a previously saved flight, the PMDG fuel loader will only have recorded the overall fuel value, and will use its logic to load the plane with fuel. This means that whatever distribution you had before.. such as (and this is totally false).. MAIN 1 = 10 tons... MAIN 2 - 4 = 3 tons.. If you save this flight.. and then reload the flight the PMDG save will only store the total number, in this case 19.. and will then distribute that evenly.. 4.75 tons in each tank..CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL