Sign in to follow this  
Guest marcPMDG

747-400X Lufthansa Showcase

Guest Marc Harrington

As the other reply states, Boeing shut down the service after failing to attract enough customers. The airlines that signed up are now flying around with the worthless pod and hardware installed (70+ widebodies in LH's case, CBB's largest customer)... and I always have to be reminded of it when I see the INOP stickers on the control panel at the purser's station. :(Panasonic was looking into restarting the service and said it would need airlines to sign up for 500 units by a certain time (can't remember exactly, end of the year or something like that) to make it commercially viable. Not sure what came of it... I also think some other companies are looking into it, however most of them prefer to use their own hardware.Other airlines that had it were Korean and SAS, aside from LH and the ones you mentioned.

Guest Marc Harrington

It's coming... as soon as I get to it.

Thanks Marc and Mike....Sad story.. seemed like a good idea to me!Was this the only airborne internet solution? My parents flew KLM last year and I am sure they had email available ( 777).Cheers,Paul

>Was this the only airborne internet solution? >>My parents flew KLM last year and I am sure they had email>available ( 777).I'm not sure if it's the only internet solution.For your parents, if I had to guess, I'd say they were still using Connexion, because if I remember that wiki article correctly, the service didn't end until December 31, 2006. So if they flew last year, it would have still been around.Hopefully someone in the know, will tell us if it was/is the only internet service.

Guest minnymike

the product seems functional, why not release it and publish the repaints later...

Guest Daniel Pimentel

>the product seems functional, why not release it and publish>the repaints later......because it's evidently not ready yet. The fact that it's not out indicates that it's not ready. Why would they not release it if it was ready? :-lolDaniel P.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpgMember of SJU Photography. [A HREF=http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=9004]Click Here[/A] to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!The official psychotic AA painter. :)

Guest Marc Harrington

KLM did not have CBB..And Connexion was the only broadband wireless internet service... unfortunately. It was pretty fast (downloads at around 120+kb/s) and reliable until you got a bit further south towards the equator. I just flew on LH yesterday and was sad to see the 'internet' button on the seat remote... to be reminded of the good old online days. ;)

Hi Marc..Looks like they still have the service.... must be some other solution.Taken from their website today....Boeing 777 and Airbus A330: Experience our World Business Class sleeper seats with 170-degree recline, 190-cm length, privacy canopy, massage setting, laptop power, telephone, interactive entertainment system, video on demand and e-mail/text messaging to any e-mail address or mobile telephone anywhere in the world;Cheers,Paul

Guest Marc Harrington

Yes, they have their own kind of service but as it mentions, it is only for restricted text communication and not a broadband internet service like Connexion used to be.

Thanks for the clarification Marc.It seems such a good idea..... even as a money maker.. you have several hundred people stuck in a metal tube... bored for hours and hours... why not charge them per hour for use? As far as I understood the system before... you had to register with the Boeing supplier PRIOR to flying.. is that correct? If so, that seems a pretty poor business stragety, seeing as most of the users would be spur of the moment - " I'm bored.. oh look Lufty has internet.. neat... lets play with it-" types.I really hope another solution is found and implemented.Paul

Guest Marc Harrington

No, you did not have to register prior to the flight. You simply had to turn on your laptop after takeoff... then it would receive the wi-fi signal, you'd turn on the browser and register on the Boeing page. Just like you would at Starbucks or anywhere else.There was also a free section provided by Lufthansa.Yup, it's surely missed.

Guest Scousefox9

Ye :(, but it will be soon! I hope... :-hmmm.Liam

Marc-She's beautiful. Digesting this post am I correct in assuming none of the new 74x series will have the Connexion antenna? If so, since British Airways already operates 57 or so 400s, would some of their aircraft already have these antennas fitted? Thanks!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest Marc Harrington

It's optional, you can add it to whichever airline you like. However, BA never opted to have CBB installed.

>Here's my first 747-400X livery and of course favorite>airline - LH....>Showing the new FSX features such as bump maps and specular>highlights (btw - the darker area on the fuselage behind door>L3 is the wing casting a shadow, not dirt effect gone wrong>;)) - >>Thats not shadow, thats just lazy cleaning staff trying to pull a fast one on you.Looks nice though.Great work.