Sign in to follow this  
Guest robfather

WIDESCREEN VS "NORMAL" MONITORS

Guest robfather

Hi,I am almost at the stage of deciding which type of monitors to use and would appreciate some help/info on the best way to go.I'm thinking of using 3 x 19" monitors for the outside view in conjunction with Triplehead2go. Another 21" monitor for the PFD/ND and a 19" for the EICAS and standby guages.The difference between the widescreen and "normal" is approximately 1 1/2" - 2" in width and I could use 19" widescreen for the PFD/ND but am concerned about whether the guages and displays will look "stretched" This is the same for the outside view.Any advice would be very helpfulMany ThanksRob

Rob, 2D panels will look stretched on a widescreen monitor, yes. (unless they're undocked in windows, in which case they should look right I believe)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I use a 24" center LCD and 2x20.1" side panels with TH2G. I am very satisfied with it. The only minor issue is the resolution of the 24" panel is less than crystal clear because the native res is very high and I have to dumb it down for TH2G to work fully and normally.3x19" would be a slightly more optimal solution for even display. But I am pretty satisified with my set-up. The huge size of the real estate more than compensates for slight distortion and very slightly less than crystal clear center display. I would not advise getting 3 widescreen panels with TH2G however as this would result in a discernible horizontal elongation that could be a bit too distorting.I no longer ever run anything in 2D since things look ghastly in the cockpit in that mode with TH2G. You can re-size the 2D panels but it creates additional issues and problems that are irritating.Jonathan

I currently run a 22" widescreen with TrackIR and only fly VC. It works incredibly well. Due to the current setup (i.e. processor and Video Card) I will be flying FS9 for at least another year. Once FSX is populated with all the a/c I fly regularly (PMDG 747-400/400F, PMDG 737-700/900, Rick Piper's HS 748, Dreamflight A36 and B58, RealAir SF 260 and Spitfire- and yes I too am waiting for the PMDG MD-11 in both platforms as well as the Airliner XP A320 for FS9)Then, and only then will I transition.If you fly a lot of 2D- standard resolutions are best- and CHEAP! If you fly VC- get the widescreen- you will not regret it. Just realize that my 22" runs at 1680 x 1050 in true color- that's a LOT of pixels and my 7900GS just keeps up. The 7900GT would have been a better choice in retrospect- although this will force me to upgrade my video card to a DX10 compliant one ;) when I take the plunge. I agree with the 3 x 19" (or bigger) STANDARD monitors for the Matrox 3toGO- the WS would change the dynamics.I included a couple of screenies for you to look at to help decide. Either way- enjoy the sim!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpg

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest ziporama

You can setup a wide aspect ratio in the cfg so the panels aren't stretched and outside perspective is correct.You will typically also need more horsepower to drive the display in a widescreen format although you can drive the display at a low 1280 x 960 which shouldn't impact your FPS much.Etienne

Guest macman4

Etienne, If you don't mind, what would you change in the cfg. for widescreen. thanks, Bob

Guest robfather

Thanks guys. I have posed another question under Panels if you have any advice, sure would appreciate it.ThanksRob