Sign in to follow this  
Guest Squall

PMDG 737NG SYSTEM FREEZE

Guest Squall

Hi all, When I'm flying with PMDG 737-800, the computer completely feezes, and I cannot recover it by any means. I have to reset the system, and it will not even let me close the Simulator and go back to desktop. The only way is to reset. This happens occasionaly, and at different phases of the flight (simetimes at the gate just after the engine start-up) . I'm not currently flying online yet. I'm using a 20" wide 16:10 monitor, and have to change the res. to 1048 (4:3) to properly use the FMC keypad. Since the graphics quality is really bad at this res, I occasionaly change the res to normal 1680-1050. Can the problem be from this? Will reinstalling the simulator, and PMDG help? I think maybe some files are corrupted, and they cause the freeze?My second question is: I don't know if this is supposed to be like this but when I program the FMC, and enter the VNAV and LNAV modes, the altitude control is not fully automatic. FOr example, the MCP alt is set to FL250, the cruise alt for a particular flight. When I arrive at the top of descent point, the autopilot will not start descending until I set the MSP altidue to a lower altitude. I checked and there is nothing wrong with the modes, and it is still in VNAV. Is there a fully automatic altitude control in PMDG , or is this the way it is supposed to be?Thanks for the help in advance, I really appreciate it.H

Your second question is easier to answer: Yes, this is proper behavior. It won't climb higher than the MCP ALT and won't descend until you lower the MCP ALT... the logic behind this is that you do not do either until cleared by ATC.The first question is hard.. does it happen with any aircraft or just the 737NG-800? You can see where I'm going... start trying to isolate the lockup to an event or circumstance. Does CTRL+ALT+DELETE bring up the Task Manager? Does it happen in a window or only full-screen. Etc.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest RoSPA_David

As you state that the graphics are really bad and you have to alter, im wondering if your graphics card can handle the wide screen. What card are you using? I would suggest that you contact Michael at http://www.fs-gs.com/ he will sort your machine out, at a cost. David

Sounds to me like you may be overheating your graphics card. Check your fans, esp the one on the card, and make sure they're still spinning. If that's not the issue then make sure all your drivers are up to date etc.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest Squall

Thanks for all the answers. I think a possible overheating problem on my grahics card can be the most logical answer. I use PMDG products with FS9 with most of the details at their highest level, and since I bought the new monitor, I use the 1680-1050 res. whenever possible. My card is Leadtek's NVIDIA 5900XT chipset 128 MB 256 bit card which I overclocked to work at 454/900 mhz. which is way higher than its normal operating frequencies, and with no additional cooling solution. I did this because my system is no longer sufficient to handle high detailed grahics, and thought I could get some boost to perf. until I get a new system. The CPU is AMD 2500+ Barton with Epox RDA3i motherboard, and 1GB of DDR-400 RAMS. I tried to check the temprature on the card, but since some time passes after the freeze and reset, it seems cool after the start up. I have just another question which I newly found out. When the aircraft gets to the starting point for the STAR, the A/T is in the FMC speed mode, and the commanded speed is say, 240 KT. the fix after that has 180 KT. When the aircraft reaches the starting point, the speed does not drop to 180 kt., and the A/T is not in the FMC speed, but ARM position. Is this normal? Or do I make a mistake that disables the A/T after reaching the initial navaid for the STAR?

The A/T will not decrease to 180 unless you are configured (flaps) for that speed. Generally, I abandon the FMC during the STAR and Approach preferring to control the flight directly through the MCP. This is consistent with how it's done real world, and I don't have to worry about the shortcomings of the 737NG FMC programming at crossing contraint altitudes.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest RoSPA_David

Looking at your system i would have to agree that you will suffer. The card iteslf is quite old now and for it to run a widescreen is a tall order in itself. I think in all honesty if it were me, id be looking at a new card, at the very least. The only problem then is that the CPU won`t utilise a high end AGP. The barton is a cracking CPU; which is highly OC. Download cpuz, and prime 95 and see if you can get some boost from your cpu/ramDavid

The AGP bus is a limiting factor now for high end graphics cards, although both ATI and NVIDIA are still making them. You will have to worry about extra power plugs and wattage requirements and whether your power supply can handle it. Go to www.playtool.com/pages/home/index.html and compare your old card and its power requirements to a newer card on his extensive card listings. His website is very informative for comparison shopping.Also, you may want to add another 1GB of RAM to your system as well.Kim