Sign in to follow this  

Two ways FS4 was better than FS2K2

If I remember correctly, the earliest versions of MSFS had two features that don't appear in the latest version. First, I seem to remember that one had to turn off the strobes before entering a cloud because the flashing would be annoying (and dangerous in the real plane!). The flash appears to be gone. Also, didn't the early version have pilot controlled runway lights at some fields? I also thought the icing was done better. I never seem to pick up ice anymore.David

Guest PaulL01

Hi David,>If I remember correctly, the earliest versions of MSFS had >two features that don't appear in the latest version. First, >I seem to remember that one had to turn off the strobes >before entering a cloud because the flashing would be >annoying (and dangerous in the real plane!). The flash >appears to be gone.Dont remember that one, so I just fired up FS4, loaded up all kinds of clouds (round globs of white :)) truned the strobes and lights on and flew into the clouds; nope not there.... Also, didn't the early version have >pilot controlled runway lights at some fields? I also >thought the icing was done better. I never seem to pick up >ice anymore. Pilot controlled lighting was a feature I believe was introduced to FS4 by the SEE4 scenery editor and continued up through FS98 and at last memory was back in FS2k2 via custom designed scenery, but I'll let others comment on that to be sure. :)

Paul,Wow! You fired up FS4? Cool! I forgot about the white blobs. I believe the flashing only happened during overcast conditions and it might have predated FS4 even.David

Guest PaulL01

>Paul, >Wow! You fired up FS4? Cool! Yep, I still have all versions of FS + add-ons as well as ATP. :)Funny how FS4 did not like to run at all on my old 400Mhz system but runs fine (except chase plane view is very shakey)on my current 1.8Ghz machine!!!

Can't remember whow it was in FS4 but strobes reflected from 8/8 cloud layers (you had to be IN the cloud layer)was defintely there in FS2 for Commodore 64.I remember myself thinking, how cool and realistic this was.RegardsWolfgang

>Can't remember whow it was in FS4 but strobes reflected from >8/8 cloud layers (you had to be IN the cloud layer)was >defintely there in FS2 for Commodore 64. >I remember myself thinking, how cool and realistic this was. It was most definitely a feature in FS98. I was disappointed when the strobe blindness stopped in FS2000.