Sign in to follow this  
GAJ52

737NG Stalls on Takeoff

Sim-Throttles with servomotors ?. I don't know if such a thing is in the market. But if exists it must be rather expensive I'm afraid !I agree with you that disconnecting the A/T on final appch can be a nightmare sometimes. But think (talking about the 744) that if you had set 70% N1 before pushing TOGA, and you don't touch again the throttles until you are well stablished on the Glideslope (with full flap and gear down), the typical N1 value in that phase will be around 65-70% in most of the cases, so, the throttle dissalignement wil be very slight.When flying the 737, I set 40%N1 to stab the engines, then I advance the throttles to 65% and inmediately after I push TOGA. This way, I make sure that my throttles will be at 65% when I disconnect the A/T before touchdown.Jose Luis.

Why are you disengaging the A/T for landing?If I use the Autothrottle for the whole flight, I push my joystick fully forward immediately after I push the TOGA switch(screw) and pull it fully aft a few moments before Top Of Descent. The only other time I would touch the throttle lever is during Go Around (similar to TO) or if I am flying manually.Cheers.Q>

Hi Q, Yeah.. I do the same thing as well.. except for landing... when I am about 500 AGL, I usually disengage everything and land it manually like a pro...and sometime during gusting condition, I need to make minor adjustment with the power in order to stay in the glide path and maintain the speed(or 2 red 2 yellow for PAPI) and that's the time when everything screws up...for example... the A/T is at 68%N1 and the lever is on 80% N1, even with A/T disengeged,the power will remain at 68% as long as I don't touch the lever.... However, the problem pop up when I want to give the 747 some power... I move the lever forward and hope to get around 75% N1, and the position of the lever is orginally at 80%... guess what.. I move the throttle a little bit and I get 90%N1... and the nose pitchs up and the approach is screwed....BADI am still thinking what is the best solution to this problem.....Ben

>Why are you disengaging the A/T for landing?>Cheers.>Q> Well, because I am not flying an Airbus...and also because I don't like autolands.I normally disengage the A/P before and the A/T after. This way I take pitch and roll control while the A/T still controls the speed. And finally I disconnect the A/T for the very last phase of flight.Jose Luis.

I think you are experiencing USB port stepping. Without AT on, see if your throttle levers on the panel are jumping. In addition, your sensitivity may be quite high and throttles in that range can put out course settings. When you initially move the throttle after disengaging AT indeed it seems necessary to get a significant change in order for the controller movement to be recognized.If I am going to control power manually I usually start by the OM to get the aircraft configured for the power on the slope to avoid this issue.One other brief issue that has been mentioned by others and experienced by me is that on the AP CMD master disconnect, I lose the throttle sync between engines with my single control lever now controlling only one engine. I have a fully registered FSUIPC and have mapped a key-combo to a throttle sync function to restore both engine control. I found this out when popping the AP disconnect just before the threshold and having trouble with the retard results and then difficulty with steering off the runway due to asymmetrical thrust.

Guest pellelil

As I recall (not 100% sure) the registred version of FSUIPC has a function to remove/limit joystick-noise/spikes. Normally in FSX I don't experience any noise/spikes but during TO (Level-D B767) I've once experienced that the Autobrake kicked in (RTO) because the sim "thought" I had reduced thrust (becase I failed to move the throttle leveler when I hit N1 on the MCP). Since I've made it a habbit of moving the throttle leveler to Max when I hit N1 (for the take off) and once I start my descent (when the FMC commands Idle thurst) I fully cuts throttle input - since duing this I've never experienced any problems.[link:fs2crew.com]http://fs2crew.com/betateam.jpgPelle F. S. Liljendal

"Well, because I am not flying an Airbus"Sorry, I'm not familiar with Airbuses... What has flying an Airbus have to do with disengaging the A/T?Thanks.Cheers.Q>

>>Sorry, I'm not familiar with Airbuses... What has flying an>Airbus have to do with disengaging the A/T?>Q>Well, as far as I know, the standard Airbus A/T (they call it AUTOTHRUST, not autothrottle) procedure is:1.- TAKEOFF: Advance the thrust levers to takeoff position as calculated (TOGA or FLEX).2.- INITIAL CLIMB: At aprox 1500 ft AGL retard the levers to the CLIMB position, where they will be for the whole flight. The levers will not move as they have not servos, and the FADEC system manages the appropriate thrust.3.- LANDING: On very short final (if not performing an autoland), at 20 feet radio-altitude a callout announces: RETARD, RETARD !!4.- Inmediately the pilot brings the levers to IDLE and this action disconnects the A/T.So, in this procedure there is not a direct A/T disconnecting action, they normally use the A/T for the 100% of the flight.Jose Luis.

Guest Ryan Briggs

I would Beg to differ in a couple ways.During Many, Many, Many landings, the approaches are handflown, and the throttles commanded by hand. the only thing that would really permit the A/T controlling the throttles all the way down, is an Autoland. The simple reason for this is, The airplane doesnt know what the pilot wants to do, thrust management during a handflown is much much better controlled by the PF.RETARD is only anounced at 20 feet IF the throttles are not already at idle. if the throttles are at idle. the bus' says nothing. Because the airplane tells the pilot to retard the throttles, doesn't mean he should or needs to think of it as a "Reminder". Commonly while flying to Denver international in colorado in the summer, due to the heat and altitude. throttles aren't pulled to idle untill around 5 feet or so, the airplane needs the extra thrust.They normally use the A/T most of the flight, just like a Boeing pilot would.

>>thrust management during a handflown is much much better controlled>by the PF.>Sometime ago I remember reading some real world Airbus manuals that encouraged pilots not to disconnect the A/T even when hand flying. And the reason they gave -more or less- was that the FADEC (Full Authority Digital Engine Control) would care of speed and thrust much better than any human pilot. Jose Luis.

Guest chris493

I think you should select your autopilot at about 1,000 feet when your gear is up to see if this works.Chris