Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

Should I get any other PMDG 744 model as well ?

I've had the pax Queen since Dec 2005 and love her. She flies wonderfully and I am very happy with her handling and predictability and forgiving manner. Strangely, it's by using the Queen that I have finally learned how to both hand-fly amazingly well and also engage in automated flight much more easily and accurately. She really is the Queen of my entire FS2004 fleet.I was wondering, however, should I get the cargo or freighter model 744 by PMDG as well? Am I missing anything--sounds, gauges, visual models, sounds, etc.-- by not having those other types of Queen in my fleet? If you instal another type of Queen, is there a risk of destabilizing anything in the existing PMDG fleet (I have the full NG series as well--also beautiful).Appreciate any comments/guidance, thanks.Jonathan

Guest Daniel Pimentel

I battled with this myself for a while, especially since I'm not much of a long-haul fan. But in December of last year I took the plunge and got the -400F, and I love it. In terms of what you're missing, I'd suggest checking the product features... One thing that I love about the -F is that you can open all of the doors (and the nose) and have the little carts and stuff... But some consider that unnecessary eye candy, so it really is hard to tell you.Systems-wise, I don't see a lot of a difference, but then there isn't supposed to be, it's not that different an aircraft. The standby instruments are replaced by a digital all-in-one instrument, which looks quite sharp... And, IIRC, it also adds the RR and PW versions of the panel (different readings on the engine instruments, I believe). I am sure other users can add any other additional functionality I've missed.I'd suggest getting it if you're big on the PAX version... Daniel P.http://www.precisionmanuals.com/images/forum/supporter.jpgMember of SJU Photography. [A HREF=http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=9004]Click Here[/A] to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!The official psychotic AA painter. :)

I got the F as soon as it came out and hardly fly it. However, my -400PAX is much better now. There are some minor functionalities that's added that I find essential. For one, the MCP is digital instead of analogue and the flight displays are nicer too. The only reason I don't fly the -400F is because I try to stick with realism and find it difficult to find the real world routes. I would get it and you may end up flying it over the -400PAX. Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png

Guest Peter Lloyd

Hi JonathanI guess the advantage of the -F is really that you are not constrained by any regular airline routes. Freight goes all over the place, and this opens up all manner of interesting possibilites. Polar routes, wierd and wonderful destinations otherwise not served by the PAX versions etc.Go for it - you'll love the freighter, and the freedom of planning it offers.Peter

Thanks to one and all. Sounds great.If I instal the 400F version can I be reasonably sure it will over-write whatever it needs to update and enhance without screwing up my existing highly tuned fleet and system?Thanks again!Jonathan

I ordered both...honestly I don't fly these birds too much because they require such extensive routes. but when I do fly them, they are just SOOOOOOO nice....however, to me passenger flying has always been more fun so I dont really fly the F version....