Sign in to follow this  
brucek

AOPA - I can't beleive what I have found!!

Oh Boy, Oh boy, Oh boy..... Can you tell I am excited!!?After years of reading the AOPA magazines my father would get, I have finally made the move and joined AOPA officially. And just after a few minutes of browsing around their site and reading about the benefits and what AOPA is all about, I am excited.There is information about how to read charts, what all the symbols mean. Aircraft information, and information for students just getting into GA flight training. I haven't finished looking so give me time to find more!! lolThis is not advertising for AOPA, I just wanted to let anyone here that will read this take a moment to go over to the website and look around. And if not already a member become one. I found this link below.Is there any here already a part of AOPA? What do enjoy the most?http://www.aopa.org/special/microsoft/Avsim Staff:If this is inappropriate in anyway to post here please move it to a location you feel is appropriate. Thanks.http://www.forefrontgrp.com/jayssig.jpg"There is an art . . . to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss!"

Guest KenG

AOPA is without a doubt the most important organization for all who have a passion for aviation. Followed shortly behind them is EAA. What a membership in AOPA provides is far more than the entry fee would suggest. You get access to more aviation information and experts than you could imagine. Have a questiona about something aviation related and cannot find the answer on the web or from your fellow av-nuts: call AOPA and ask an expert. They will find someone who knows the CORRECT answer, not just speculation. The magazine, "AOPA Pilot", is itself worth the membership fee. However, their advocasy and governmental lobbyists (not that I normally like lobbyists) are responsible for keeping general aviation available to all who want to persue it. If it were not for AOPA, the restrictions to GA flying would have lasted much longer after Sept. 11. Many pilots would still be grounded or severely restricted indefinitely.Even if you don't fly planes in real life but are still an aviation enthusiast, I urge you to check out AOPA. (www.aopa.org)

Guest DreamFleet

I've been a member since 1975, and I echo Ken's thoughts 110%. You get so much more than you pay for with your membership. I strongly encourage EVERY FS user to join AOPA and support them.AOPA is not just the USA either, as there is also IAOPA for the rest of the world.Long live Phil Boyer and the team at AOPA! :-)And you get a nice AOPA wings sticker to put on your car! ;-)I think the only restriction you will find at the member's side of the site is in use of the flight planner / DUATS, which is reserved only for those with a license and current medical.Join now:http://www.aopa.orgRegards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

I'm also an AOPA member, and I concur. You can join no better organization in support of general aviation.

Guest DNelson

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is AOPA's first-rate medical certification department. They can answer any question related to FAA medical certificate issues and can help with unique situations that may otherwise result in a denied or delayed certificate. This alone can be worth well more than the annual membership. I would recommend that everyone, even if you're in excellent health, do the medical questionaire on their site (called turbo medical as I recall) prior to taking the real FAA physical. This will really help you properly fill out the confusing application at the doctor's office.Dan

Hi,I am an AOPA member since 89. I do not live in the USA, but I think that this organisation is the most supportive of GA you can find. Once I subscribed to many aviation magazines, and found that AOPA PILOT is the most private pilot oriented, the other (in my opinion) pusrue more a corporate target.They (or US as I feel member) did a tremendous lobby supporting the changes in product liability law that made GA planes to be produced again. 90% of GA planes are being built in the USA, and that law was killing the industry. Recent tragic events also threatened GA there, and AOPA is supporting the freedoms of GA flight not to be wiped out.In short: no matter where do you live, or if your flying is real or virtual, if you love aviation and you can afford to join, do so. PILOT magazine only is worth many times the anual dues, and you

I recently joined AOPA too as a student pilot and I agree the magazine alone is worth the price. I also got a nice bag to carry stuff in, a hat, and a few other freebies (that frankly weren't necessary as I was alread satisfied!). My only disappointment is the flight planning through DUATS. It can take up to 9 months for the FAA to update its database of student pilot certificates so I guess I won't be logging on to that for awhile. Can anyone tell me if it is any good? Does it actually plan a route or simply let you put in waypoints and then do the calculations/weather etc?David

I know this is a fairly stupid question, but is AOPA open to enthusiasts? Because not very long ago I was sent a small membership packet and I have no idea why they'd send it to me seeing as I neither own an aircraft, and haven't even started instruction.Scott

One more thing I'd like to plug about AOPA... If you're considering taking flying lessons or are a student pilot, you should go to the bookstore and pick up a copy of AOPA's "Flight Training" magazine. Even if you already have your pilot's license, you will learn new stuff from this magazine. It is chock full of information and tips useful to pilots of all levels. And if you are a student pilot, you can get the first 6 months of your subscription for free!

Scott -- AOPA is open to anybody, anywhere with an interest in GA aviation. The benefits are many, bu perhaps the most important is the strength of the association as an advocacy group. Meigs Field -- and many others threatened by local politicians, etc, -- is open today largely because of AOPA. Pilot magazine is probably the best in its field and well worth the price of admission. Bob -- member since quite a long time ago (1977)

David, You can use DUATS - either via the AOPA site or through other software -- as soon as you have your student certificate. You don't have to wait for the FAA to update the public-use database. DUATS can actually plan a route for you. All you do is put in the start and destination airports and what kind of routing you want and all kinds of stuff pours out of your printer. Actuially, one thing I don't like about DUATS is that you get much more than you need, i.e. NOTAMS for military actions in Afghanistan and such. There are other programs out there that you can put on your computer that will customize a flight plan as well as any dispatcher for a major. Of course, the cost money and DUATS is free. One thing you will probably discover, if you haven't already, is that pilots are very anal when it comes to things like flight planning. It is not uncommon for one to plan a flight with downloaded weather with Destination Direct (one of the best payware programs), compare that to a DUATS plan, download weather off the web and, finally, call flight service for a briefing. Of course, then you take off VFR and decide to detour along the beach instead of following the flight plan and all those neat calculations are shot, but the scenery was nicer. :)Bob

Thanks Bob, I was considering doing it but I wasn't 100% sure, but now I think I'll spring for it, sounds like the deal of a lifetime, especially if I start lessons soon.Scott

Guest Lizardo

110% agreement here too. The benefits go horizon to horizon...the list is far too long. Just what you get when joining (cap, magazine, CD etc) is worth the price. AND..if you have any question: real people at other end of #800! And, note to our overseas friends: you don't have to be in USA either!

It's really interesting that this was brought up, I have been planning on posting about AOPA here for a while, but never got around to it. I can't echo enough the good things that AOPA has to offer aviation enthusiasts, pilots, and simmers alike. GA, as we all know, has taken a serious hit and is under extreme scrutiny right now. AOPA consistantly takes very bold steps fighting for the rights of private pilots and our fredom to fly. Even if you never plan on doing any real-world flying, I recommend joining AOPA. The aviation community needs all the support it can get right now. The services that they offer will make simming that much more enjoyable, too. Anyway, thats my 2 cents.-------------Michael

Guest Smiley

AOPA has more information than I will ever use. It's nice to know it's there. LOL Boblee ! I'm not anal ! I just prefer to be a prepared pilot ;-)Member since 99.