Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Improved Baron AIR file?

Anybody know where a fella can get a hold of an improved .AIR file for the default Baron? I've got some great repaints, I'm just tired of flying the same iffy aircraft, no matter how pretty she is.

I have an aircraft.cfg I've updated, but it was more to personal taste....Exactly what is it about the current Baron you don't like?-John

It's more an appeal for "Who has the AIR file I've heard so much about." I like the plane but...The aircraft seems to be a bit sluggish in response to throttle. She doesn't seem to trim nearly as nicely as I think she should... particularly in comparison to the King Air (maybe I'm expecting too much from this bird?). It's a pretty airplane... I like to fly it. I just think there's room for improvement and I hear that somebody'd made those improvements.

Guest ucanfly

I too am interested in an improved airfile. It appears that the default is too sensitive to pitch trim especially and a little twitchy. I've heard that Steve Small had an improved air file from some other board.After searching the internet with Google and others , couldn't find it anywhere.

I know Steve Small made a file, but he no longer allows distribution. Do a search on his name in the forum...I recall seeing a recent thread with his email address. I understand he may send the file via email....My changes are a bit more subtle, and to the aircraft.cfg. They are changes you can do yourself... I decreased the elevator_trim_effectiveness to .75 to make the A/C a bit easier to trim. I also decreased the parasitic drag to .92, to make the cruise speed more in line with specs (with the benefit of improving A/C speed changes in response to the throttle), and last, I increased the pitch, roll and yaw moments to 30000 (each parameter). That's the personal preference part--don't know how realistic it is in terms of the real Baron, but to me, the aircraft "feels" more like it's in flight as opposed to on rails. I've never flown in a Baron, but years ago I had a chance to feel how a 402 handled in flight. Using the "moment" tweaks in the aircraft.cfg, I've fairly much have been able to mimic that feel in the Baron...-John