Sign in to follow this  
Guest btclarke

PMDG MD11

>Marcus>>I'm presuming the same as Carl.Hi guys,actually no you got me wrong there...Would be pretty scary if flaps extended all automatically! I wouldn't want to fly an airplane doing that...Dial-a-flap is much simpler as you think: It is one of many detents on the flaps lever, one that is not a fixed setting of degrees of flaps but one that can be all from 10

Markus Burkhard

You're correct Mike, you beat me to it for a couple of minutes :)Markus

Markus Burkhard

Markus:So its just an additional setting that you can customize.....not quite sure why.....don't the standard settings offer adequate lift/drag regimes? Is it just to allow for a "custom" setting in-between the standard offerings? How useful is that really?The flap protection logic sounds exactly like the 744's....Thanks!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest Dave65

>If they do not use the B777 for expansion one would guess>they'd replace those DC-10 which were not converted to an>MD-10 first.>I've heard of some big retrofitting plans for the MD-11s with>FedEx, that they want to euqip the MD-11 fleet with HUDs and>EFB eventually... If those plans are indeed still valid one>would think the planes have a long future with FedEx...>>Regards,>MarkusI hope your right Markus.

>You're correct Mike, you beat me to it for a couple of>minutes :)>>Markus Perfectly clear now. Thanks again!

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Hey guys,just thought I'd give one more input regarding the dial-a-flap.The main advantage it gives operators is that you can depart with minimal flaps on any given runway. This has the effect of giving you the best possible second segment climb. I fly MD-83's for example. A HGW version. We fly out of TNCC, which has a runway of 11,188 feet.At our MTOW of 72600 KG's, we have a rotation speed of 167 knots!Why? We have our flaps set at 7.6 degrees. Why? We are cleaner when airborne. Why? We don't want 15 degrees of flaps hangning out with one engine and at MTOW. That's one, secondly less drag during the climbout etc etc.Now how do we know what flaps can be used? The company asks special firms to build a RAD table (Runway Analysis Data) for all runways we fly out of. All comapnies have it. Instead with the MD's you have a choice to select "Optimum Flap" RAD's. They take into account temps, runway length, slope etc. and gives you at all weights, what flaps (and it's speeds) are required to make full use of the available runway. And that is the main difference.Go to your local airports, and try to find an MD-80 flight that you know will be full. Go spot it and whatch that baby roll down the runway! Better yet, after it's airborne, whatch it rocket out of there like the Mad Dog that she is!The MD-80 also has tons of quirks! Tail heavy, nose heavy, cross winds, all have an effect on your landing. She's a nasty biatch and if you're not on the ball she'll get'ya.GOD I LOVE MD's !

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

Guest Dave65

I figured I would ask this here since we been discussing it.Anyone know where I can get the MD-11 operating procedures,mostly take off and landing,this is a hard plane to fly compared to the DC-10,I am no pro for sure,but want to learn as much as possible.I have had one successful landing and it wasn't pretty.Thanks

Dave,I just checked and there seems to be some stuff available in public at Smartcockpit:http://www.smartcockpit.com/plane/boeing/MD-11/But don't worry we'll deliver all the procedures you need with the software, normal procedures, non-normal, emergency checklists... If that bird is programmed so close to the real one we surely want you to be able to fly it the real way so we give you along all those manuals...Regards,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Guest Dave65

>Dave,>>I just checked and there seems to be some stuff available in>public at Smartcockpit:>http://www.smartcockpit.com/plane/boeing/MD-11/>>But don't worry we'll deliver all the procedures you need with>the software, normal procedures, non-normal, emergency>checklists... If that bird is programmed so close to the real>one we surely want you to be able to fly it the real way so we>give you along all those manuals...>>Regards,>MarkusThanks Markus,I know it will be worth the wait:)

Guest btclarke

>Obviously the MD-11 will continue flying longer than the>DC-10, however both are built to last forever.Without trying to be pedantic - the airframe does have a design lifespan (be it hours or cycles). Nothing is forever. Chances are good that many will cease operations when today's currently more efficient airliners are converted to -F. Where I am there are 747's with plenty of cycles left standing, as there are more efficient options available.Bryan