Sign in to follow this  
Ralgh

747 leans when making turns while taxiing

When I am taxiing my 747 around sometimes when I make a turn the airplane will lean toward the outside of that turn. It usually happens above 10 knots ground speed which I know is fast for a turn in a real plane. The 747 seems to be harder than some planes to control taxi speed when making turns.I was just wondering if there is a way to eliminate this feature. I have a lot of addons and most don

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

This is strange, even when I take turns at 15 or even 35 knots coming off the runway, I don't lean over. I just have my nose wheel skid across the taxiway. Other than that, I really don't think there's a way to disable that but like I said, it also shouldn't really happen at that speed.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png

Tom,It SHOULD lean...remember that the 744 can weigh in excess of 397 tonnes whilst in the taxi...with all that weight perched high up on 5 undercarriage struts...a large amount spead across each wing in the form of 2 engines & fuel then it SHOULD lean.Try & keep your turns below 10 kts...especially at higher weights.View the leaning as just one of the many manifestations of realism seldom (if ever??) found in another addon.Kind Regards

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

Pls note operational taxi speeds for the B744- between airport buildings : 5kts- turns - between 5 - 10kts- straight taxiways : 25 kts maxB. rgdsMichelPS. Remember you are driving around with a "massive building" of max 395 tons !!!

Leaning on taxi is perfectly normal.. my aircraft leans a little too.. just as it would with any vehicle.. The MSFS model supports leaning you can flip over some aircraft if you try hard enough, I don't think it's specific to the PMDG 747...There are a lot of posts regarding how to taxi this big airplane about... Unfortunately due to MSFS limitations, taxi of the 747 is not really like real life.. Throttle is required even though in reality taxi can be done at idle..To get rolling.. I generally push throttles up to 40% N1.. and if she requires a bit more encouragement increase little by little till she starts rolling.. As I approach corners I'll reduce to below 10kts and steer round.. I usually use a bit more thrust when turning so I don't lose too much speed.. If stopped, the thrust required to get over the inertia can be quite high.. I tend not to use brakes and just drop the throttles to slow down.. speed scrubs off quite quick then..The slower and more carefully you take it.. the leaning effect should be reduced.. and the plane won't be rolling around like a barge..Hope that helps :)Craig

Craig Read, EGLL

I realize it is normal for it to lean if I turn too fast. I

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

When I approach turns I usually maintain the same speed on the way in.. 10 or less knots.. sometimes less depending.. and then.. when starting the turn give it more throttle.. not much mind.. just to keep the momentum up.. I rarely use brakes for turns.. in the real world I don't think they do either..CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

No, in the real world the planes are less sensitive during taxi. I have flown and taxied real EMB-120 Brasilias, F100s and 737-800s. For the most part once you get them moving they tend to hold speed with little or no throttle. Even in turns they don

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Can't say I've ever noticed a 744 leaning before (in the real world), but I have seen an agressive Pan Am 747 driver skid the nosewheel in a turn during taxi. I think most of the leaning is done by the people trying to stand up in the cabin before the aircraft has come to a complete stop ;) What drives me crazy:(RANT ON)1)Those passengers who refuse to wait for the seat belt sign to go off before grabbing for their duty free shopping.... Invariably, whether you rush or not, your bags will NOT be waiting for you at the carousel in the arrivals hall. And just because the aircraft has come to a stop and the engines have shut down, it doesn't mean that the aircraft won't require repositioning (sometimes the pilots miss the stop line or the guidance system fails.. and the aircraft has to be towed to the correct spot). And if you're in the very last seat in economy (row 72E or thereabouts), there's no point standing in the aisle... you'll have to wait at least 5 minutes before the passengers in front disembark (of course, if you like standing still for long periods of time, that's ok)2) Those passengers who stand 1 foot away from the carousel so no one else can see their bags coming around. Hint: Form a large circle so everyone can see their bags.... and when you do step in to pick up your bag you won't take out the guy next to you with your 200lb suitcase.(RANT OFF)Cheers.Q>

I am with you on that one, I never have understood why everybody stands up to just to wait. I sit and relax and wait till every one is moving. I do the same at the movie theatre. I like to walk without someone breathing down my back. If I am near the window seat I will wait for the crowd to thin out.

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I sit and relax too but that's only because if I'm the last one off, they usually let me have a look up front too. Unless it's an inter-island flight, then the crew let me take a look but the ramp agent is hinting at me to get off.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png

The ground friction model with FS is unrealistic and is highly sensitive to drag. From what I hear, this is fixed with FSX.

I can't be in all places at once. If you see someone is having an issue with an Angle of Attack product, or something that should be brought to my attention, please message me. I want everyone to have a stellar experience with AOA. Thanks so much!

Chris Palmer

Founder/President

Angle of Attack

I totally agree...the last flight I was on (GB Airways from Gibraltar to LGW Airbus A320)I remember hearing seat belts being unbuckled as we were still in the decel onto a high speed turn off from RNWY 26L...several people were even out of their seats getting hand luggage/duty free bags (full of glass bottles!!!) from the overhead lockers - UUUGGHHHH!!!We were then sent to a realtively remote stand for some reason & had to wait for stairs & busses to get us back to the terminal...I found the sight of 100+ PAX stood sqeezed into the aisle for over 20 mins rather amusing I must say!!!!

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

Guest chris493

Hi,I must say that you are wrong their, I fly 747-400's all the time for Qantas and it does lean a liitle bu not excessively and also it is caused by the fuel shifting in the tanks and splashing hard against the walls of the tanks. (it depends on how much fuel you're carrying e.g before takeoff it will tilt more than after landing)