Sign in to follow this  
Ralgh

747 leans when making turns while taxiing

"I must say that you are wrong (there),..."You're saying I HAVE seen aircraft leaning??? "it does lean a liitle bu not excessively"That's perhaps why I said I haven't noticed it. "I fly 747-400's all the time for Qantas"You're a Qantas 744 pilot???" (it depends on how much fuel you're carrying e.g before takeoff it will tilt more than after landing)"Wouldn't half empty tanks splash more than full tanks? I thought that's what the fuel tank internal baffles were there for... to prevent rapid shifts in gravity. Q>

I'm with Q:If the a/c is leaning, you are turning too fast- period. As far as the sloshing- baffles are specifically designed to minimize this- and I would think the emptier the tanks, the more the sloshing. At least, that is my experience from my puny Private Pilot perspective.I would never presume to disagree with a 747-400 type-rated pilot however, so please explain further, so I can understand from my limited perspective. BTW, how long have you flown for Quantas and what other a/c are you typed in? I love that actual rated pilots and other airline professionals (A&Ps IAs Flight Dispatchers etc.) are all part of this forum and relish the opportuinity to learn from them.Also, as a line pilot, you are doing what most of us forum members only dream about- so please do give us the benefit of your experiences from time to time. A FMC programming tip here, a procedural flow there etc.Best- Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper