Sign in to follow this  
Guest chris493

PMDG Flap Speed

Guest chris493

Hi all,I was flying the other day with my PMDG 747 and once again I noticed the my flap extension/retraction speed was really slow. It starts really slow up until between flap settings 5-10 then it speeds up to the normal speed.Can anyone help?ThanksChris

The PMDG flap actuation time schedule is based on actual flap extension. Don't forget, the flaps articulate out and then down, substantially increasing the area and lift- without excessive drag penalty until Flaps 20 (slotted Fowler system). Only after, 25 and 30 degrees, do you get large drag penalties as well- they are moving further down and not much further back to increase area.The extension time seems right to me, watching the ITVV Virgin video-almost everything seems spot on! I remember reading one member's post re. flying a -400 sim pretty well the first time. I am practicing- my retirement present to myself will be 2 two hour days of -400 time in England (hopefully next October/November) and I plan to be ready :)! My wife will be happily occupied at Harrods, so there ought to be minimal fuss :).Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

My wife will be>happily occupied at Harrods, so there ought to be minimal fuss>:).>>Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225>http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.pngCarlJust make sure you pre-set a limit on that credit card that's going to Harrods. You wouldn't want to have to give up your retirement and go straight back to work ;-)Have a great time in the sim!Best!

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest chris493

Well I fly for Qantas and fly B747-400's all the time and the flap speeds are no where near as slow as the PMDG's. They are much faster.

"Well I fly for Qantas and fly B747-400's all the time and the flap speeds are no where near as slow as the PMDG's. They are much faster."Interesting.... http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...ing_type=searchMaybe you should contact Qantas sims about this? Or maybe your computer is faulty?Or maybe the whole matter is a subjective issue?Cheers.Q>P.S. BTW, what thrust reduction height do you use on Qantas?Also, I saw this on the Centre CDU on a Qantas aircraft... Can you tell me what it means? Thankshttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/175798.jpg

Guest chris493

the ILS-MLS is for ILS landings. The 112.1 is the preselect which is where the pilots can enter info (freq. etc) so they just select the preselect (6L) and select ILS-MLS (4L). The alternative NAV RAdio is an alternative to the Nav Radio so if it fails you can use the alternative NAV Radio. (similar to the concept of Route 1 and Route 2)

Guest chris493

In qantas the thrust rduction height depends on the Groos weight and weather

Thanks!.. What default Thrust Reduction Height do you normally use?Cheers.Q>

So you're saying that if both Captain's and F/O's CDU's fail, I can tune all the Nav radios via the Center CDU?Thanks.Cheers.Q>

Guest chris493

well in the PMDG 747 the centre CDU isnt modelled (correct me if im wrong) but in real life this would be the case. And even if just the Captians CDU fails he an use the centre CDU instead of his own. (Same as F/O too)

Guest chris493

Well there isnt really a "default" thrust reduction height because it is all down to weather but if it is a clear day and the Gross is quite low it would be about 2,000-5,000 feet.

Good info, thanks, Chris.Also, sorry to change the subject... I saw a pic of a Qantas cockpit on the internet with a switch above the ND which isn't modelled in PMDG (see pic)....http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/175842.jpgThe original was much clearer... I think it said "Standby Lighting Capt / FO".When would you use this switch?Thanks. Cheers.Q>

Yes, please help us Captain, we don't get to beneift from an additional real-world type rated pilot every day....BTW, please don't forget to help with the leaning post as well.....waiting with anticipation and copied the last bit to refresh your memory. Thanks!"I'm with Q:If the a/c is leaning, you are turning too fast- period. As far as the sloshing- baffles are specifically designed to minimize this- and I would think the emptier the tanks, the more the sloshing. At least, that is my experience from my puny Private Pilot perspective.I would never presume to disagree with a 747-400 type-rated pilot however, so please explain further, so I can understand from my limited perspective. BTW, how long have you flown for Quantas and what other a/c are you typed in? I love that actual rated pilots and other airline professionals (A&Ps IAs Flight Dispatchers etc.) are all part of this forum and relish the opportuinity to learn from them.Also, as a line pilot, you are doing what most of us forum members only dream about- so please do give us the benefit of your experiences from time to time. A FMC programming tip here, a procedural flow there etc."Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest chris493

This switch must've been removed because it is no longer there in the 747. Are you sure that isnt the 747-400F (freighter)?All I know is it isnt there anymore. (possibly the reason it isnt modelled in PMDG's brilliant 747)

Guest chris493

There is more weight in the tank so there is more force being pushed against the side of the tank means more leaning. I have flown with Qantas for 15 years. I am also able to fly A330's, A340's etc. In 2003 BA offered me a position to fly Concorde but it went out of service 2 weeks later so I remained at Qantas.