Sign in to follow this  
rgamurot

Two B744 Approach/Landing Questions

Yesterday I was flying VS019 from EGLL to KSFO. During the last maybe 15 seconds of the approach, I hit some wake turbulence and the aircraft suddenly veered to the left and stopped descending in addition to the bouncing around. My first question is whether something a heavy as a B744 could be affected this much by wake and what I should do if I know wake is present.Second, while I was wrestling with the aircraft, but before I actually touched down, my spoilers started deploying. Since the EICAS was only flashing the message, I'm guessing they were opening then closing repeatedly. Does any one know what I did? All I did was close the throttles and begin my flare. I was also still stuck in the wake at the time so could the bouncing have caused this?Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png

Guest Jacob Lee

>Yesterday I was flying VS019 from EGLL to KSFO. During the>last maybe 15 seconds of the approach, I hit some wake>turbulence and the aircraft suddenly veered to the left and>stopped descending in addition to the bouncing around. My>first question is whether something a heavy as a B744 could be>affected this much by wake and what I should do if I know wake>is present.>>Second, while I was wrestling with the aircraft, but before I>actually touched down, my spoilers started deploying. Since>the EICAS was only flashing the message, I'm guessing they>were opening then closing repeatedly. Does any one know what>I did? All I did was close the throttles and begin my flare. >I was also still stuck in the wake at the time so could the>bouncing have caused this?>>Ryan Gamurot>Lucky to live Hawai'i>>http://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png Do you have Active Sky? I have AS6 and once on approach the plane did pretty much what you described. Going into options and turning off the wake turbelence effect will stop this from happening.-- Jake

Ryan,in my opinion wake turbulence have way too much influence on the B744 in FS9 using AS6, I therefore disabled it to KEEP realism. Sure I've had colleagues who had flown a Fokker 50 or a Citation Excel telling me about incidents where their aircraft ended up in 60

Markus Burkhard