Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

What 747-400 usable airports have good scenery available (must NOT impact frame rates)?

Hi all-Still using FS9 until the 400x is released, so I don't really want to spend a lot on scenery (unless there is a reasonable FSX upgrade offered).What 747-400 useable scenery would you recommend? It must give good detail (must be a nice imporvement from default), must NOT impact frame rates, and must be downloadable. MOST IMPORTANT TO ME IS THE NO FRAME RATE IMPACT. I have only seen this with VERY FEW addons- hence, the only add-ons I have kept are the Cielosim Environment product, the KaiTak98 and Holger's stuff- Innsbruck and Glacier Bay. The 747 can use Kai Tak and the 737-700 gets in and out of LOWI ok. I would love to find some others- PARTICUALRLY UK scenery- but am scared as I will NOT sacrifice smoothness and FPS for scenery detail. As an example, even the AE7 was not retained- nice but too much of a FPS hit :(.As a little segway, will the UT textures help overall without impacting the frame rates? I understand they make a huge difference in visuals. I have 0 Autogen (even renamed the file to .bak), 0 dynamic scenery so the add-ons must add without relying on them.Also, using Very Dense Scenery- NOT Extreamly Dense.Thanks!Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Hi Carl:You can try the BEST freeware sceneries around: ISD Milan Malpensa and Rome Fiumicino (LIMC and LIRF)There is a reason why both are the most downloaded airports from the Avsim library: They are simply the best !!!Jose Luis.

I think FlyTampa's sceneries are absolutly amazing. I already have Boston (Freeware!), Seattle, and San Francisco and plan to get San Diego this weekend. Apart from Boston, each package costs $21.50USD except a certain version of St. Maarten. I also have Airport Enhancement Scenery available at Aerosoft which adds moving gates and service trucks. I consider it a must have! Now I wish I took those screens to share with you.I personally haven't noticed much of an impact with frames. If your computer can already handle FSX, I'd say go for it. If you want to give it a try, First go to http://www.flytampa.org/ to download FlyTampa's Boston airport. It is fully functional, free, and is a perfect example of what to expect with their other airports. You can also look at the screens for the other airports. Next, go to http://www.aerosoft.com/cgi-local/us/ibosh...i?showd,,D10333 to download AES. Although it says you need to buy credits to have it work with most airports, it can run for free with FlyTampa's Boston Logan.As far as I know, AES is deciding whether to go FSX but I think they said it was a good possibility. FlyTampa is already working on FSX airports and you can check their forum to see if the current sceneries can/will work with FSX.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png

I must admit I'd go for the UK2000 sceneries as they offer both the FSX and FS9 versions.. I would buy their FS9 Heathrow tomorrow if it meant I could get the FSX version when it comes out.. but until that happens I'm not going to buy.. as FSX is going to be my platform soon..FlyTampa.. are amazing actually.. I bought a couple of theirs regardless.. they look so good even in FS9...CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Guest chris493

I dont want to say this the wrong way but I have the Heathrow Pro scenery from UK2000 and also the Gatwick and Glasgow Extreme and I dont think the ground textures for Heathrow are that good. If i were to recommend a scenery file I would suggest either UK2000 Gatwick Extreme (make sure its Extreme and not pro) or Cloud9's Orlando Intl or Just Flights world aiprorts Orlando Intl. I think they are all amazing.

Yeah I installed the demo of Heathrow once.. but didn't like Heathrow pro much.. That's why I am waiting for the extreme version.. as it's both FS9 and FSX, as a result I think better value..Fly Tampa.. are really good though..CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Thanks guys- I have installed Rome and Boston Logan and all I can say is WOW- exactly what I wanted- more detail (actually amazing) and no percieved frame rate impact- thank-you!One of the flights I want to fly is EGLL-KSFO so I am looking at Fly-Tampa's SFO.Thanks for the pointers, I was not very impressed with the Heathrow stuff- looks blurry and that's in the screen shots :(. Oh well, maybe the next version- Gatwick Extreme looks great though!If there are any others I have not yet seen, please chime in!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

carl (and other interested parties)...if you're looking for good quality frame friendly scenery for australia, there's an excellent package available from vista oz ( http://www.vistaoz.org/ ) (read installation instructions carefully!).the scenery available for the oz majors such as syd, mel and bne is very good (bne is a bit of a frame eater on my older kit). there are incremental updates to other oz majors such as adl and per which make these much more realistic places to visit compared to the default alternative.hth

Flightscenery's 'Portland' - Nothing else comes even close.

Dave Taylor gb.png