Sign in to follow this  
Guest chris493

Chris493

Guest chris493

Thanks all!

Chris,Blimey.. 13.. I can't remember that far.. lol.. although I like to think I've never quite grown up (27 now).. I was being taught on VATSIM by 2 15 year olds I think, probably older now (won't give their names).. at first quite embarrassing.. lol.. but to be fair to them very knowledgable chaps and I learnt a lot..I'm an avid simmer myself.. spending hours and hours on the sim (and usually the victim of the odd friendly jape from friends for it).. I've enjoyed many flights and often (and foolishly) think I know it all.. BUT... on saying that I get great pleasure from being told what I am saying is wrong and being corrected by those in the know.. that's one of the main things I take from this forum.. In particularly by Qavion (real world 747 I believe) and other real world pilots in a couple of posts of mine.. BUT this is how I learn.. Since writing a tutorial I put together I can see big holes in it and need to refresh it, but it's all part of the learning process and this is what makes this forum so good!I guess you have aspirations to fly for real when you're older? I too have thought about it.. Although I fear I may have missed the boat at 27.. I intend to apply for CTC Wings, and try to take that route if I meet their criteria, take a look at their website, it's full of information and might give you pointers on further studies etc... It's never too early to start I don't think..Anyway.. welcome to the forum Chris.. everyone is friendly and helpful.. we all help each other along..CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Guest chris493

Yeah I will hopefully get into the Airline business (hopefully Qantas, Singapore Airlines or Virgin Atlantic- dont know yet)ThanksChris

"Yeah I will hopefully get into the Airline business (hopefully Qantas, Singapore Airlines or Virgin Atlantic- dont know yet)"Well this forum is a good place to start to build your knowledge up.. I would do the PMDG type rating courses and any questions you have post them up.. or search for answers here.. They are very useful..My tutorial (which has glaring errors in part, but on the whole not a bad attempt considering I've never set foot on a 747 flightdeck.. lol... trim air, step climb proceedure, ATC isn't quite right, more detail for walk round, I intend to correct it some time in the future) and a number of other excellent tutorials can be found here, see Holger Seilz too..http://www.speedbirdonline.co.uk/747.htmlContact Lee James.. he might be able to help you learn more.. Loads and loads of stuff out there..Enjoy!Craig

Craig Read, EGLL

Guest nicam

Wow Chris, what made you make up that you were a Qantas pilot.I had a laugh reading your previous posts leading up to your unravelling. But good on you for admitting the truth.Michael

I sympathise and admire Chris for owning up. Well done mate.The fact that we can all become so completely immersed in a product from PMDG, to imagine that we are one of the lucky real world operators, really does say it all about the quality that PMDG continues to show us all, in their software.We have all at some time or another, imagined oursleves as these people due to the knowledge we have aquired so cheaply, by flying the simulation.Robert Randazzo and your team, take this post as a compliment that you have been able to attain this level of confidence but, none of us apart from a few, would ever kid ourselves we could do the job for real.Your 747 simulation though, has given us all that 'we can do it' feeling, even if it is in our own homes and our imaginations.

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest chris493

"I too have thought about it.. Although I fear I may have missed the boat at 27.. I intend to apply for CTC Wings, and try to take that route if I meet their criteria"Well the best of luck to you and I hope you get the position!

Chris-Okay- good. Thanks for being candid- that isn't an easy thing to do when you've messed up. We'll consider the issue closed- (that means all of us- right gents?) and now we'll go back to helping you learn about this simulation and the airplane so that you can be well prepared when you your 20's. ;-)Fessing up took guts, Chris. You showed well for yourself today.

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Good job Chris. You have the luxury of time on your hands and if you are 13, you're getting a great head start! Take advantage of all the knowledge you get here because alot of these guys live with this a/c. Good luck and hopefully you'll get to fly in the left-hand seat. Joe

Guest chris493

Thanks

Guest Ryan Briggs

chris dude, guts as randazzo put it. I'm 16 and very much working on the same goal as you ;). PMDG changed my F'ing life forever. I give my Kudos to the PMDG team for their hard work, their simulations are well worth the 6.91 an hour i make at the grocery store (working for the pilots liscence, and at 6.91 quite a few hours go into getting 1 hour, if you know what i mean.)PMDG offers something great also though, a very near complete Boeing simulation for 60 bucks :(, that's like 1.5 times less then it costs me to schedule my instructor and a Cessna 172SP at 1:30 A.M. because i like to torture his schedule =). in all seriousness though, as soon as you can get a job and start working on your goal. it will take alot of hard work and 8 hour days suck alot (god forbid the 12 hour days my parents do as RN's) but every thursday when i get 120 bucks in my pocket i look forward to getting 40 more and that day that i get to sit in the skyhawk (can smell the worn leather and hear Continental engine roaring)Flying is (for those who enjoy it) one of the greatest things ever. PMDG is second best(no offense fellas) to the real thing. If you're ever up to it, we can figure out a time and date and ill give you a tour and flight of the beast and ill go over all the knobs and buttons with you. hope you get things worked out and your dream comes true, at this point it's a long hard road to the airlines, but with a bit of effort, being TRUTHFULL ;), and thinking smart about the path to success, you'll get there in due time =)good luck

Yes theese sims are fantastic things. It doesn`t seem too long ago I was a frustrated teenager dreaming of flying a jet(or anything).I grew up using "Solo flight" and Sublogic FS2 on my Commodore 64.The insturment skills I learnt using these simple programmes once saved my life when I was a young 18 year old trainee PPL and got stuck in cloud while solo and managed to find my way home using a VOR, much to my instructors horror and amazment, as he hadn`t taught me how to use them!I`m now lucky enough to fly the 744 from the left seat for real but still enjoy nothing more than a couple of hours with flight sim.The sims now are so realistic and in depth you really are getting a great head start by using them to learn about piloting. Keep focused and dedicated lads and you`ll make it, you never know whats around the corner! At 18 I was washing the pots in my local pub for a job,at 32 I was a 744 captain! funny old world!Cheers Jon

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1.