Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stanner1953

PMDG 747 Autopilot VNAV and speed problems

Guest Stanner1953

I have the V1.1 PMDG 747-400 with the Universal Sound update V1.0roinstalled. I also have FSUIPC (registered). I have read all the posts which may relate to my problems. I also have calibrated my joystick.I have several problems.1. I cannot keep the VNAV connected in the autopilot mode. I get a RAT TA TA sound and the VNAV is disconnected, and my speed begins to drop. I must use the ALT Hold and the Speed Select in order to fly the aircraft. This happens dispite the flight plan being correctly inputed in the FMC.2. I get the red band (red blocks) along my speed dial in the PFD even though I am flying at a low speed (220 kts) with flaps up and the trim controlled by the autopilot (I have Alt Hold and Speed select on)3. Recently the sim crashed and I got a Black Screen. This happened after I installed the Universal Sound update.In the AFDS Options Menu I have both "Controls Override" checked (enabled) under the A/P Controls Override Option.I have several years experience flying the PMDG 737-600/700 which is installed on my computer.Any help would be appreciated.Thank you.StannerStanner

Stanner-I would recommend the following-Make sure (again) your controls are properly caliberated and you have correct end points etc.Program your FMS, making sure that the correct thrust settings (derates) are selected.Check to make sure there are no FMC error messages (esp. alt/performance).Turn on your FD and look for TOGA TOGA green.Enable LNAV (and even VNAV if you want) prior to start. Look for white in FMAs.Activate AT on taxi.At T/O stabilize at 70% N1 and then press GA. MOVE AND LEAVE THE THROTTLES TO MAX THRUST!!!!!! DO NOT RETARD!!!!!Engage AP at 400' RA.I use LNAV, MCP speed intervene and VS for initial climb.I only select VNAV at alt (or in the last stages of the climb).MCP alt and FMC alt should agree (dont forget transitions).BTW red bricks with flaps up and 220kts (esp. at heavier weights) is quite normal.........often I am at Flap 1 at 220............CTD- I don't know enough about.....sorry.Try and let us know if it works.Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest D17S

What is annunciated in the PFD's far left FMA? If it's blank, you're doomed . . . I think. Maybe you can help me figure this out. 1st, what's an FMA? Then, what is the left FMA for? Finally, why must there be something annunciated there? If you can help, that'll get me started.

Guest Ryan Briggs

I guess there are mutliple ways to control this thing, however I was once told VS is never a good option in a climb, and most Airlines prohibit it due to the increased danger of a stall.the procedure I use is;1. On the ground, or at the gate Turn on the Flight director, it will automatically go to TO mode2. Switch on LNAV and VNAV, this arms them and at the appropriate point after departure both will become active.3. everything as normal lineup yada yada4. power 60% N1 then hit TO/GA and move your throttles forward with it, be sure that TO/GA is in control of the throttles however5. When airborne and passing through the acceleration altitude LNAV and VNAV will become active and the flight director will move to follow your Navigation plans, follow the Flight Director - It knows best(most of the time)6. you can either switch on one of the autopilots now or just fly it yourself, retract flaps at their speeds and continue into the sky on VNAV and LNAV

Guest Stanner1953

To Sam:FMA's are the notation at the top of the PFD (primary flight display)which is the first screen to your left in the captain's panel. They usually appear in green if the function is active, such as LNAV, ALT.To Carl,Thanks. Two questions:1. By proper thrust settings are you referring to the FMC thrust LIM page? If so how do I select the proper setting?2. Once N1 stablized at 70% press GA. Where do I find GA to press?Thanks.Stanner

Guest Stanner1953

Carl,I tried to open the doors using Ctrl+Shift+E and also Shift+E but nothing happened. How do you open the doors?Stanner

Guest Ryan Briggs

there's a screw to the left of the AT on the main panel, it represents the TO/GA because the real one is actually on the throttles, it's there for convenience, in the VC there's a clickspot infront of the throttlesfor the doors press ALT and bring down the PMDG menu, you have to set your doors in there.

Guest D17S

Ahhh. Now, once you've pressed that secret screw, what's in that far left FMA? What does it mean? Thanks for your help.

Guest Ryan Briggs

I don't remember right now, it's eitherTHR REForTO/GAi think its the first one

>To Sam:>FMA's are the notation at the top of the PFD (primary flight>display)>which is the first screen to your left in the captain's panel.> They usually appear in green if the function is active, such>as LNAV, ALT>>.>To Carl,>Thanks. Two questions:>1. By proper thrust settings are you referring to the FMC>thrust LIM page? If so how do I select the proper setting?>2. Once N1 stablized at 70% press GA. Where do I find GA to>press?>>Thanks.>StannerStanner-You can either select the 5 or 15% derates for TO and CLIMB1 or 2 for climb (in the PERF section of the FMC initial process, or manually go to the charts and select an assumed temp derate........initially stick with the generic derates for most situations.The GA is selected by the MCP top left screw in the 2D window, by the buttons on the throttles in the 3D window, by pressing a key sequence on the keyboard (PMDG menu) or BEST- by selecting a button on your yoke and mapping that key combo to it. As far as the doors, same thing- go to PMDG menu, find door commands and add key sequences to it- loads of fun if you get the 400F and have the tail jack, loaders and stairs, as well as nose and other doors to open!!! Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest Stanner1953

Carl,Are not the GA the same as the TOGA? If yes, then I can access it by pressing the FD (Flight Director) switch, correct?ThanksStanner

Guest D17S

Still not sure what that far left FMA is all about. During my test flight, I saw that THR REF was in there for my initial climb after takeoff. What's the point? What's going on here?

Guest c210_cvs

The FMA tells you what the autopilot is busy doing. The buttons on the MCP will not necessary do that. For instance, if you are in HDG SEL mode the button on the MCP will not be lit so if you look there you might think it's not engaged but the field in the center of the FMA will tell you that HDG SEL is selected for lateral navigation.FRED

Guest D17S

Thanks. That tells me about the center FMA. What about the LEFT one?