Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bpilot

Disk format

Guest Bpilot

Captains,I will have to format my hard disk, since it has passed the period and is quite slow.I have doubts about what to do with my PMDG files, add-ons, patches and, mainly, the licenses...If I back them up in a CD and than copy it back to the re-formatted HD, would it work?Thanks for the helpBPilot

Maybe I'm missing something, but a reformat is pretty drastic measure. Have you considered cleaning up the disk (getting rid of trash and old restore points), emptying the prefetch directory, and then defragmenting the drive instead? I believe these are the normal things done for disk efficiency.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest Bpilot

Thanks, Dan, but more than one of my 'hackers' told me that reformatting is needed. I tried all other alternatives, but to no avail...Regards from Brazil.BPilot

Sergio-Yes, back up everything FS related (installation files not installed directories). Then make sure you do a FRESH install on everything- do not copy!For the 400/400F make sure that you get to the validation screen which asks for your email address etc. If you do not get them, re-download- otherwise you will have those nice blank 8x8 screens to stare at :).Goo luck friend- I have been down this road- much too often lately. This last XP install will remain until I hear a lot of praise for Vista- which I have realized will be quite a while :( .Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest Bpilot

Thanks, Carl,I have my fingers crossed...BPilot