Sign in to follow this  
Marc_H

Question.... (True/Grid Nav)

Hi,is it possible to update the 744, that the FMC shows True and Grid Heading?On my last 'near-pole-passing', the NDs shows True Heading, but the entire FMC is set up to magnetic!!!!!!I miss as well the Grid Heading Display on the ND. The FMC shows no Grid too. As you can imagine, True Heading is quite "useless", if you fly near/over the pole. Would be pretty cool, if you could implement this :)Servus,Marc

Regards Marc

[EUR VOR RDL 205 DME 15.7]

Help me out here, this is new terminology for me. What is Grid Heading? True headings are referenced to true north, magnetic headings are referenced to magnetic north.Thanks,

Dan Downs KCRP

Marc... I'm sure there are dozens of airlines which survive polar trips without the _option_ of Grid displays ;)Leave the A/P in LNAV and let the aircraft worry about such things ;) I haven't heard of a RW dual FMC failure for many, many years.If True heading is useless.. how do the aircraft without Grid survive polar navigation? (I know Qantas, for example, doesn't have it fitted even on their South Pole charters).Admittedly, however, you would need MCDU True heading data and True ND compass indication on your ND if both FMC computers failed ;)Cheers.Q>