Sign in to follow this  
JSACKS

When to turn NAI and WAI off ?

If I take off in snow and cold temps with clouds around and have NAI and WAI set to ON, at what point during the climb should I ideally turn both off?Also, what point in the descent is the optimal time to turn them back on if landing in similar conditions?Thanks.Jonathan

I don't know exactly but you can shut them off as soon as you are out of the moisture (rain, fog, clouds, etc.). I would wait a short while after clearing before finally shutting of the anti-ice. As for decent, I would switch it on before you reach cloud level or fog. Just be sure to turn off the NAI before touchdown as it won't let you use reverse thrust.EDIT: Nevermind, I see you already know about the NAI bug.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png

Jonathan-I have some guidance for anti-ice in the manual (i think...it's been awhile since i read it closely...)To help you though:Any time you are in temperature 10C or lower while in visible moisture. (That can be rain, fog, mist, snow, sleet, ice, hail, etc...)Hope that helps!

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Based on AOPA Pilot magazine articles and AIM, I use ice protection in the range 10C to -10C. Seems to work real world.

Dan Downs KCRP

OK, thanks all ! Appreciated.Jonathan

I'm pretty sure on the 744 nacelle anti-ice necessary in any visible moisture below 10 degrees C right down to -40 or so. I haven't checked the manual for a while but I'm pretty sure this is correct.

10 degrees is the number I remember, too. Just to clarify, that's TAT, not SAT... because TAT is what determines the skin surface temperature. In contrast, the -40 degree number below which anti-ice is not required is SAT, IIRC...Cheers,Martin Boehme