Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

747-400/F product line evolution

Between Michael's FG-GS service, and Mo's BA World Tails, I am even more passionate about my 400. Is there a posibility of improving the current product with some of the changes wrought in FSX?Obviously some things like the mentioned wing flex and camera views are restricted to the new platform. That's fine. More importantly, if there are functional systems upgrades and additions (ACARS, FMS screens, EICAS additions, etc) would it be possible to port this stuff over to the FS9 version? My preference would be function over eye candy.I know that I am not alone in my choice the stay with FS9 for now- but as my a/c of choice (probably 80+%) I sure would like some updates to the old girl. I also will state I don't mind paying for one- as the platform is mature and I understand further development is costly. I don't think I'd be alone in that viewpoint. If there is not a FS9 update scheduled, perhaps a cost benefit analysis could be done, with a survey here. I would not be opposed to cast my vote with Dollars to pay for the further development up front. Again, given PMDGs reputation, I don't think I'd be alone in this either.Just a thought- hopefully this will be a moot point Sept 1, but in case the further development has not been done, please consider.Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Carl,Sorry, I believe the 744 for FS9 is now a finished product. We gotta stop somewhere and move on you know...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

>Carl,>>Sorry, I believe the 744 for FS9 is now a finished product. >We gotta stop somewhere and move on you know...Fine with that...but then you will have the 744 for FSX bring out one update and thats it???Just like you did with the FS9 744.I know you guys are really busy with your other projects, but the 744 should have had at least one more "major" update for FS9 and that never came.Maybe finishing a product before moving on would be a good policy for PMDG.Leonardo Calzoni

What exactly is not finished about it? It's never going to 100% be the real airplane. We're very proud of just how close it is though. It works for the vast majority of the things a real pilot would do with it in routine operation.Those things that were mentioned like ACARS etc were never listed as part of the product, so I'm not sure how those can be used to declare it unfinished. We'd stated at one point that there may be ACARS functionality released in the future, but that wasn't a promise nor was it an indication that it would be part of a free service update. Service updates are for bug fixes and reasonable new features - an ACARS system or something like that is a large undertaking way outside the scope of a service update.And Leonardo, if we didn't draw the line somewhere, we'd never make any new products because there's always something else that could be done given unlimited time and resources (which we sadly do not have!)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest Scousefox9

I totally agree with Ryan. People are discontented with the development speed and at the same time others are suggesting future products that would be released 12+ from now. New products that will out-perform their predecessors will never see your systems as long as the team has to keep going over work that's already completed.I don't understand why some people won't transition to FSX when new features they ask for will be available accompanied by the future product range for that platform. Yes performance is an issue but life isn't perfect and until Oct-core processors come out or something, this is a problem people will have to treat by sliding back those sliders.

Hi all,Bit of a double edged sword this one really isn't it.. In the past I've often mentioned what I'd like to see in a 747 release.. For me.. it's the definitive airplane of any collection for flight simulator, and like a lot of the "die hard" 747 fans out there I am looking for ultimate realism.The PMDG 747 offers a very high fidelity model, the highest fidelity model in fact for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004.. and soon to take that crown for FSX too. Quite an acheivement.. The price is good, the aircraft is good.. the support is good.. There is a higher fidelity 747 model though in the simulator world, but.. with a catch.. there is no nice graphical representation coupled with it, I'm of course talking about PS1.3A.. and of course that is a lot more expensive.. priced at around

Craig Read, EGLL

Craig,Yeah I mean it's like I said - we could add that stuff, but we'd be sitting here forever doing it and they're things that would only be appreciated by the hardest of the hardcore such as yourself. :DI want to add too that we had many real 744 drivers and maintenance folks point out inaccuracies in PS1.3 during development that are correct in our aircraft. It goes both ways on this - it has a few things we don't (albeit minor), but at the same time we do some things it doesn't too. I don't remember specifics as it's minor stuff, but I do remember that being said.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

Oh yes.. agreed Ryan..I think the thing that PMDG simulation does that the PS1.3A doesn't do that is perhaps the most important.. is that with the VC.. you get a much better feel for how things are laid out..Like I said.. and yourself too I believe.. it's a case of where you stop with these things..Looking forward to whatever comes next..Craig

Craig Read, EGLL

I too was a PS1 user and loved it- I currently fly the Queen- that speaks as to my choice- the VC, once worked in, is impossible to abandon (IMHO). That said, I still would advocate additional details. If PMDG is dogmatic about the 400/400F being done, perhaps a new strategy could be developed for the 400X? A series of releases (not free upgrades- but PAID modules) evolving the platform into the most thorough simulation possible (notice the use of the word possible- not simply the most thorough simulation released).I for one would gladly pay the release amount over, to gain substantial systems additions. One way or another, we will all go (perhaps kicking and screaming) to FSX (and the 400x). Once there, it will be an evolution in hardware (already looking forward to the Penryn) and software (already looking forward to SP2 and 3 and 4 and 5 etc..... ;) ). Why then, not have a series of releases to evolve the 400 into full systems modeling?I realize this is ONE viewpoint (and there surely are many others) but taking this aircraft to the "next level" has got to be a repeatable goal. I appreciate what has been done with 400/F, am looking forward to seeing what is NEW with 400X, but mostly am committed to this platform and would love to know that PMDG is as well- for years to come!Please take this in the spirit offered- none of this is meant to say i am dissatisfied with the 400/F in ANY WAY. It is already a superb platform. Superb enough to whet my appetite for more!Best- Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

This is my thought exactly.. planned.. upgrade modules.. no need for announcements etc.. and I would be happy to pay for them.. Perhaps something for development staff to have a go at when they get some spare time or fancy a change..I'd pay money for a full upgrade of systems with real 744 options.. a fair bit too! Easy the cost of the 747 again if not more if you could do it all.. Release in modular form if that suited you.. Hey.. just an idea for you to think about.. :)CheersCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

Im really sorry for being this ignorant! Its just the great job you guys have done and i really mean GREAT JOB makes me ask for more and more cause i know you guys "could" do it :(And when we reflect over the things we already have making the PMDG 744 the best plane ever made for FS...well thats the point where i really start to lover her.Thanks for all your work and effort PMDG you have put into this baby.Keep it Up :DYours Sincerely,Leonardo Calzoni

I am in the process of migrating from PS1.3a to PMDG. I am a devoted 747-400 pilot, and have decided that migration is now the best thing in order to keep up with the latest simulator developments.PS1 has been a fantastic simulator of the 747-400 and, for its time, far ahead in its technologies and aircraft functions. I feel a great deal of guilt at leaving PS1 after the many hours of rewards that it has given me. But, as with all software whose development has long ceased, it shows its age.I live in the greatest hope that the PMDG 747-400X will give me a great leap forward in my -400 flying experiences. Many of my VA colleagues have already migrated from PS1 to PMDG 747-400 and report that the migration was not difficult and the efforts well worthwhile.I am happy to leave PMDG to decide where to position their products in their perception of the simulator marketplace. We shall then see the purchasing decisions of all of us who are so dedicated to the 747. I would bet a lot on a great take-up!Kind regards, Richard McDonald WoodsSenior Captain, Stevens VA - STV1078www.stevens-va.de

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

I would like to see the addition of the Terrain display on the ND. On Most 747-400's these days you see a TERR button alongside the WPT, STA and other buttons on the EFIS control panel.Tom P