Sign in to follow this  
skyhawk8

Assigned Alt using FMC 737

I looked through the manual and really didn't find anything. What I'm looking for is a way to enter a assigned alt to the fmc that is either before or after a waypoint. Example... ATC assigns me to be at 10K feet 15 miles before waypoint ABC or after.Can this be done in the FMC?Steve

I am not where I can look at the manual now but you can establish a fix on your flightpath based on distance from a waypoint and then assign on altitude to it in two steps. The first involves the FIX page and the second is the altitude assignment on the LEGS page as I recall.Look up those two items in each respective part in the FMC manual.If you suspect you may be on vectors using the MCP instead of LNAV/VNAV at that time consider putting a range ring around the dictated fix and controling descent with MCP ALT and VS using the ND descent arcs to estimate when you will reach the specified altitude on the range ring.

Steve,put ABC/-15 into the scratch pad and click LSK left of ABC. This puts a new waypoint ABC01 15 miles ahead of ABC. Here you may enter the assigned altitude.You may have a look at the manual chapter 8 FMC. Search for Along Track Waypoints.----Along Track Waypoints: Along track waypoints are commonly used to mark a descent or climb restriction that is issued by ATC in reference to a navigation fix that exists along the route of flight...----Of course it is also possible to use the fix page as Ron suggests in his message.HTHPeter

Guest tomahawk_pa38

Ron,How do you put a rnage ring in then please ?

I actually found this in the manual last night. Way back in the FMC section. I knew I saw it somewhere before. I used it last night and it works great. I was flying into Banger Maine and there are no STARS for this airport. I set it to be at 8000 ft. 30 miles before BGR VOR.BGR/-30 and select the waypoint BGR on the legs page and fix the route discontinue and exe.It's called a (Along Track Waypoint) pg 32 in section 8.Only VOR's can be used.Thanks for the help.Steve

I usually put around 40 nm ring around the airport. Go to the FIX page. In the scratch pad I put in the name of the FIX (in this case the ICAO code of the airport. LSK the FIX name (LLSK1).In the scratchpad enter the range ring diameter preceeed by a slash (in this case /40). LLSK2 for the bearing/distance. Since you have not entered a bearing, it will ring the fix.That's it. In this case if you wish, go to PLAN mode on the EFIS and on the FMC you can STEP to preview your route on the ND and I think it will show on the ND near your destination. You'll definitely see it in MAP mode as your near your destination and you have the range set properly.This will work at any FIX for the center. Sometimes it is placed to mark the 25nm mile MSA ring around a navaid to mark the minimum MSA range as shown on an approach chart as an example. If you do not have an approach in your FMC database, if you have the approach plate and descent racetracks or procedure turns are required, you'll see in the vertical profile of the plate perhaps a statement saying stay within 10 or 15 nm so you can ring the reference in the plate vertical profile. This way you know how far you can go on each side of the reference at the minimum altitude stated in the vertical profile.Lot's of uses for this.

Hi Steve,this technique should work for every waypoint type, not only VORs. You can even use it for constructing runway waypoints. Enter RUNWAYIDENT/-.1 and select the runway, ex. RW25L/-.1Peter

I am continually surprised at the functionality and usefulness of the FMC- not just for the traditional precision environment, but especially for construction of precise flight profiles in a non-precision airport environment. But then again, I suppose that was the point all along. Still, love learning new things- I picked up the range ring bit from one of Captain Mike Ray's monthly articles. Still want to get his book- anyone read it and have an opinion? Seems worthwhile from the blurbs.....Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Carl,I don't have Mike Ray's book, but own Bill Bulfer's FMC User's Guide. I would highly recommend this as the first book on understandig the FMC.Just my 2 centsPeter

I tried using a fix on the route that I was taking. It gave me a invalid entry error on the scratch pad. I may have not done it correctly. I'll have to try it again.Thanks,Steve

All these ways of using the FMC makes me want to fly the 737. I have purchased the 747 but have not had time to learn how to fly it yet. There are just so many hours in a day.

There are quite a few documents out there and tutorials. I found for me a lot of hedlp in purchasing Mike Ray's PC SIMULATOR SERIES FLYING THE BOEING 700 SERIES. This is NOT the more expensive checkride series in that it does not go into systems as such but does deal with flight practices and navigation of primarily glass cockpits which are common among the 767 and 737NG series. This is not specific to the PMDG model but close enough to it especially with the EFIS, CDU (FMC control screen), MCP, and other issues that with the PMDG documentation as reference when needed should provide all you need.You'll find it here in the shop, om amazon with sample pages, and on Mike's site with sample pages at www.utem.comhttp://www.utem.com/manuals.html

http://www.utem.com/manuals.htmlThe PC Sim Series book on the 700 gives nice practical advice with practice, operations, procedures, etc. I like it. It is not a systems manual but goes into operating the instruments and takes you through practice flights at different levels of complexity.You can buy it at shop here, amazon, etc.