Sign in to follow this  
FLEX1978

HYD PRESS SYS 1

Hi, I am currently in cruise online WMKK - VOMM Just had a sys 1 Eicas msg. Im Going throug the Abnormal checklist and it says the transponder will stop functioning if the aircraft enters Ground mode, Is this modelled? thanks Rob

Rob Prest

Haven't read the Abnormal Checklists recently, but what has HYD PRESS SYS 1 to do with Air/Ground mode?This message means you have lost all hydraulic pressure in system 1 (engine and demand pumps). An Air-Ground System malfunction is not going to stop your engine pump running.Are you reading the correct check?Cheers.Q>

Hi, I am at work now but almost 100% sure it was the right checklist. HYD SYS1 the first thing i lost was Center autopilot no LAND 3 Connected the L Autopilot and ran the abnormal on my second PC. I have noticed that many minor details are modeled that most people wouldn't notice. For example, performing a full autoland if you have the electric Eicas displayed it will Blank out below a certain altitude. Just curious as to how deep this simulation goes.Anyway I landed the other night with no transponder problems. Rob Prest

Rob Prest

"I have noticed that many minor details are modeled that most people wouldn't notice."Thanks for noticing! I think sim programmers often wonder if they are going too deep (and wasting their time programming something which will not be noticed by 99.9% of simmers) ;)Cheers.Q>

>I have noticed that many minor>details are modeled that most people wouldn't notice.You'd probably be surprised at how many of us notice things like that. ;)

Mike-Glad to hear it!We have some twists and turns in this simulation that very few people have run across...We occasionally get email from 400 instructors telling us how surprised they were when they set up their favorite trick in the sim- only to find we had it modeled. That makes you feel good.I'll admit I put some sadistic twists into the failures model... A few of them have REALLY nasty outcomes if you don't follow the procedure. :-) It's been so long i've forgotten most of them... LOL(My sim instructors taught me well....)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

In all fairness, this a/c simulator is very much like an actual complex aircraft in that for the first 100 hours or so you are just keeping up and operating switches. It is only when "normals" become second nature that the true depth of this simulation begins to assert itself. That said, I wonder if FSX is as ahead of FS9 as stated by some?Robert and the team- are there actual "physics" differences which result in higher flight fidelity- or is this mostly a matter of visual enhancements. I love the "eye candy" as much as others, however I value systems and operational fidelity much more. PS1 for example (albeit a bit dated after a few hundred hours in the 400 VC) is still a benchmark in the systems modeling arena.I have read posts that claim a superior "feeling of flight" in FSX, but I wonder if that is actually based in physics modeling, or simply the result of specular lighting ;). Are there less "work arounds" required to model complex sub-systems and that said, with the FS9 workarounds, are we giving up fidelity in FS9 compared to what is now available in FSX?Any insights would be appreciated. Yes, the QOTS still reigns!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest sunbear

>In all fairness, this a/c simulator is very much like an>actual complex aircraft in that for the first 100 hours or so>you are just keeping up and operating switches. It is only>when "normals" become second nature that the true depth of>this simulation begins to assert itself. That said, I wonder>if FSX is as ahead of FS9 as stated by some?>>Robert and the team- are there actual "physics" differences>which result in higher flight fidelity- or is this mostly a>matter of visual enhancements. I love the "eye candy" as much>as others, however I value systems and operational fidelity>much more. PS1 for example (albeit a bit dated after a few>hundred hours in the 400 VC) is still a benchmark in the>systems modeling arena.>>I have read posts that claim a superior "feeling of flight" in>FSX, but I wonder if that is actually based in physics>modeling, or simply the result of specular lighting ;). Are>there less "work arounds" required to model complex>sub-systems and that said, with the FS9 workarounds, are we>giving up fidelity in FS9 compared to what is now available in>FSX?>>Any insights would be appreciated. Yes, the QOTS still>reigns!>>Best->Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225>http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.pngCarl,In regard to a superior 'feeling of flight'....I think the only way this is going to happen is when the industry puts together a decent yoke, throttle quad and rudder pedals complete with a halfway decent hydraulic feel to the yoke. Other than that, PMDG is spot-on.:)Maybe they will buy into an outfit that will be capable of manufacturing the above necessities.Regards,jack

talking of smaller details...............I remember being suprised by the level of detail in the IRS system modelling, when i noticed on one particular flight a visual difference in the 3 irs position indicators on the PND when in min range mode. I noticed that the irs's were much more spaced out than i had ever seen them before, i assumed this was a result of poor irs updating or data. I have tried to replicate this situation many times since but with no luck, have tried entering innacurate irs positions in to the fmc but with out success. Can you shed any light on to what might cause this, is it due to the aircrafts location on the planet or the availabily of navigation beacons for updating etc etc........thanksKav

This has probably been discussed many times before, but...The 3-star display you see is raw data. Each IRS computes the aircraft's position using only initial(starting) position, acceleration, altitude, and rotation (about 3 axes). The IRS position is NOT updated by radio position. However, the FMC uses IRS AND radio position to come up with a better position solution. Normally, the Nav Displays are showing "FMC position".Like any navigation system, the IRS's are susceptible to many kinds of errors (too many to be discussed here), so the individual IRS's may compute a different aircraft position. This is more likely to be seen on longer flights. If you haven't seen the split in positions recently, maybe you have somehow disabled IRS drift (I recall it is a realism setting in the PMDG menu) or haven't flown on a flight long enough to generate significant drift errors?Hope this helps.Q>

I actually will take advantage of this opportunity to praise Vangelis' work with the IRS systems. The accuracy of the real world model is followed closely in our systems simulation which will drift at the same time lapse rate as the real world counterpart.Keep an eye out for it if/when you turn off the GPS ;-)

Lefteris Kalamaras - Founder

www.flightsimlabs.com

sig_fsldeveloper.jpg

>We occasionally get email from 400 instructors telling us how>surprised they were when they set up their favorite trick in>the sim- only to find we had it modeled. That makes you feel>good.Robert,I've often wondered what kind of feedback you get from the airliner industry and at what level, in which circumstances and by whom the PMDG747 is being used (by real pilots or instructors). I'd expect you might be a bit reluctant to answering this since it probably would make you look like bragging :) but I'm sincerly curious.Like Rob Prest mentioned I am also struck by "how deep the simulation goes" and that the more you learn the more you realize how little you've actually discovered! It certainly tells something about the dedication and enthusiasm your team must have. Also considering that you know that probably 88,5% of your customers never even have checked these details out and probably never will!

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------