Sign in to follow this  
cavaricooper

747-400/F Version 2

Robert et al-I know this subject has been flogged to death, however, with your company's recent position shift on the MD-11, I am cautiously optimistic.I will go out on a limb and assume that it was not just a few vocal posters here that resulted in your decision to support the FS9 platform for your future releases (MD-11 and NGX). I am quite sure that there was a scientific market research study- with positive indicators- that resulted in the change. To overstate the obvious- your FS9 customer base is alive and well. That said, I realize that in 18-24 months, most of that base will make the transition to FSX.For that time frame, and for the future as well (all modular changes could be written for BOTH platforms for the next couple of years); could you at least dialogue with your team, and consider an update to the 400/F? I undertand she is superior to most products currently out, and is currently considered finished- but to someone such as myself (committed to one platform for scheduled flights), ones who would rather dedicate time and effort to learning the ins and outs of one a/c thoroughly, rather than moving from one to the other, there is room for further development. Other currently non modeled systems, inoperative/incorrect switch detents, EICAS pages, ACARS etc could all be worked on and added to.Please do not for one minute think I am proposing a free release. This update, should it materialize would transport the 400/F simulation into strata unshared. I would be quite willing to spend the combined (400 & 400F) product price (or even more) to achieve this end. As far as interfering with current development- it need not. A release after 400X, the MD-11 and NGX (and right before your 777 ;) would suit me just fine. For now, I will have her in her current version, the MD-11 and NGX (in FS9) to dabble with from time to time, and so will be patient- I promise ;).While surveying for virtual airline membership, could I impose on you to conduct another survey- one to see if such an update, priced at $75-$100, would be something that your customers would support? I would like to think it would be popular, but am enough of a realist to know that you would need more than my pie in the sky.Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest Scousefox9

They don't want to start improving existing products I believe was the official word from the team. Besides, they're already "behind schedule" and if they include an ACARS for the Queen somebody no doubt will want a set of optional Christmas lights for the Beechcraft to celebrate the festive season; where would they draw the line?I think your best bet would be waiting a while and you'll probably find future products will have ACARS and the rest. The market will eventually switch to FSX completely... Although judging by the speed at which Mr. T and his crew fix problems, adding a little chocolate sprinkle of time, until nearly everybody has a machine that runs FSX without breaking a sweat - we'll be eating from a fruit bowl for quite a while. I can see your point of view though.The future's bright; the future's... Rather uncertain?All this talk of food is making me hungry :-(...

Carl,I would think at some point in the future, but probably not in the FSX generation (since we just finished putting the 744 into FSX) that we might revisit the airplane much like we're now doing with the NG 2.0 product.A lot of people are under the impression that the 744X is a "port" or something like that of the FS9 version, (ala what a few other companies have done) and it isn't. We no longer use FSUIPC, the plane was fully recoded using ACES's SimConnect API. The problem of course is that it still *looks* the same to someone that doesn't understand how much work that was to do to an aircraft as complex as ours. Lefteris put a pretty unbelievable amount of time into doing it. The model has all (not just a few) of the new FSX features like smooth wingflex, normal and bump maps, we've redone most if not all of the liveries for FSX etc. I know this stuff isn't ACARS, EICAS maintenance pages, circuit breakers etc, but like I've said before, we have to invest our time in things that most of our customers will use frequently and appreciate. Those types of things would no doubt be cool from a pure realism perspective, but only a handful of our tech-inclined users like yourself would actually even know what to do with them let alone use them all the time.Remember how everyone begged for an IRS simulation after we released the NG as if it was the most critical component of the airplane? We did it in the 744, and I very seriously doubt most of our users sit there for the full align time or even give it a second thought - it's just another checklist item. I have it set to Instant myself hehe...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

>They don't want to start improving existing products I>believe was the official word from the team.Two main issues are the lighting anomaly I stated awhile back and most importantly, the total fuel used on the FMC.After the improvement/update, these two items were perfectly fine before the "improvement". jim

Carl-Ryan summed up a number of the points really well- so i'll only add some new ones:The FMS logic that is in the 400/400F is a highly evolved adaptation of that which was used in the original NG. The entire core logic for the FMS system is scheduled to be replaced with the NG2.0.This being the case, it isn't possible that we'll "backward port" any new behaviors from the MD-11/NG2.0 to the 400/400F/400X.That being said- we know what is on the general wish list for the FMS- and these things will be reviewed for inclusion as development continues to progress. I am not saying that they won't be included- but I'm also being careful not to promise anything in V1.0 that I can't guarantee at this point.One nice thing moving forward is that we have learned quite a bit over the past five years and our development technique is extremely advanced. I'm betting that if we didn't include ACARS type functionality in the NG2.0, that it would be highly likely to appear in a 2.x update- especially since we'll be using that code core well into the future.Also- keep in mind that since I'm a hybrid of airline pilot/techno-geek, I too want to see these things come to fruition. I have a number of great ideas that would make a sim implementation of the high end communication functions of the FMS very realistic for sim users....And that is the point of this whole process after all. ;-)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

Guest sunbear

>Carl->>Ryan summed up a number of the points really well- so i'll>only add some new ones:>>The FMS logic that is in the 400/400F is a highly evolved>adaptation of that which was used in the original NG. The>entire core logic for the FMS system is scheduled to be>replaced with the NG2.0.>>This being the case, it isn't possible that we'll "backward>port" any new behaviors from the MD-11/NG2.0 to the>400/400F/400X.>>That being said- we know what is on the general wish list for>the FMS- and these things will be reviewed for inclusion as>development continues to progress. I am not saying that they>won't be included- but I'm also being careful not to promise>anything in V1.0 that I can't guarantee at this point.>>One nice thing moving forward is that we have learned quite a>bit over the past five years and our development technique is>extremely advanced. I'm betting that if we didn't include>ACARS type functionality in the NG2.0, that it would be highly>likely to appear in a 2.x update- especially since we'll be>using that code core well into the future.>>Also- keep in mind that since I'm a hybrid of airline>pilot/techno-geek, I too want to see these things come to>fruition. I have a number of great ideas that would make a>sim implementation of the high end communication functions of>the FMS very realistic for sim users....>>And that is the point of this whole process after all. ;-)>>Robert, You quoted:"I have a number of great ideas that would make a sim implementation of the high end communication functions of the FMS very realistic for sim users...."Moving forward along with the above quote, Is there any chance that you will combine the talents of PMDG and another company perhaps to introduce a realistic Yoke, Rudder and Throttle Quadrant? This is of vital concern for those who would like to see it get as 'real as it gets' and unfortunately, the current hardware is as unrealistic as it can get..... Any thoughts on this subject?Regards.jackRegards,jack

>Remember how everyone begged for an IRS simulation after we>released the NG as if it was the most critical component of>the airplane? We did it in the 744, and I very seriously>doubt most of our users sit there for the full align time or>even give it a second thought - it's just another checklist>item. I have it set to Instant myself hehe...I DO! :) I actually sit through the alignment process for all my aircraft that have an INS/IRS system. Just thought I'd let you guys know it wasn't a complete waste.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png

Nerd #2 here.There's so much stuff to do while it aligns itself..weather forecasts, loadsheet review, fuel load planning, departure procedure review, ...

Robert-Thank you for those encouraging words- I shall wait patiently- there is much to keep me occupied in the mean time. It is good to know that your "pilot/techno-geek" side wants and thrives on minutae as well ;)Best-Carl F. Avari-CooperBAW0225

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

BTW- count me in for the "nerd" group. By the time I log on to Vatsim, file, bring up all my plates, charts, METAR, etc the dinger has gone off....thanks- I for one (and it looks like we have more than one nerd here ;) ) enjoy the real init time.Best- Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Idem here, certainly in a cockpit enviroment it is very normal that this 10 minutes are passing very quick. Lots of checks to do and preparations in progress.Just can't wait till we will be able to interface the "real" PMDG sim in to our "real" cockpit ;) Robert I think you must understand ;) ;)B. RgdsMichel

Guest sunbear

Michel,Very nice setup indeed. Can I ask what you are currently using for a Yoke?Regards,jack

I'm afraid you can count me in too...there's just so much to do that even if I've got a final fuel figure prior to putting BATT power into the Queen by the time I'm considering my TO Briefing (yeah...I say it out load to myself!! :+ ) the 'ding' & my first cup of cha is long gone!!Long live the techno geeks & nerds I say!!!

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'