Sign in to follow this  
Slick9

Crashed on takeoff: 747-400 need some help!!

I was on a long long long haul. From DGAA to FMMI to YSSY when disaster struck. I stopped in FMMI to refuel, taxied out to the active advanced the throttle levers and thought she was kind of sluggish - the speed didn't seem to be building up at it's usual rate. I barely made it off the runway and then only to find the queen wouldn't gain altitude, eventually i ran into a hill along my path. Post crash analysis showed that the pilot flying had not taken into account the 4000ft elevation of the airport when planning weight limits and takeoff speeds. My question: I went thru the manual looking for a runway length/weight limit chart for the queen but i didn't see one. The 737 series manual has one - the chart gives you estimated minimum runway lengths for different weights based on the elevation of the runway. Am i just missing this in my 747 manual, or if it is not included, is there another way to calculate this the minimum runway length based on weight and elevation? Thnx for your help!!!!!!!Richard

There's a very good freeware program called TOPCAT that will calculate derates for takeoff using the 747. Enter all the details - weight, weather, runway, and the program will tell you how far you can derate the engines, or if indeed you are too heavy for the conditions.Search for TOPCAT 747 on google. Registration is required, but it is free and usually quick.

Guest HARthemightypirate

Richard,On the Boeing site more technical details can be found from the 747.If you look here http://www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/747.htm you can find in part 3.0 Airplane performance on page 14 the chart you are looking for.Greetz,RonaldPS. Info of other types than the 747-400 can also be found on the Boeing site, if someone needs it.

many thanks for both answers guys - these will help me out a lot. I downloaded the TOPCAT program and i am also going to get the chart from Boeing's website. Thanks again!!