Sign in to follow this  
Guest johnegg

744 OOM error and Aerosoft EGLL 2008

Guest johnegg

Hi all, sorry to raise what appears to be a solved problem but for me this is the first time I have experienced it and a search has not provided an answer.Having purchased aerosofts EGLL when I am approx 8 miles out on final I get the OOM message relating to pmdgoptions.dllThis is with FS9.1, AS6.5, RC4, FS Global SE.I have tried the 3GB switch fix to no avail.Any other ideas ?JohnCore2 Duo 66002048 MB DDR160GB HDDNVidia 7950 512mbCH Products Yoke & PedalsHead TrackerRC4AShttp://fs2crew.com/linepilot.jpg

Aerosoft has just released an updated fixed version. Go to www.aerosoft.com and follow the instructions to redownload and install this new version with a number of fixes that may be contributing to your problem.

Guest johnegg

Should have mentioned I already have installed V1.1 and although it fixed the CTD error G3D.DLL that I and most people experienced I now get OOM error!JohnCore2 Duo 66002048 MB DDR160GB HDDNVidia 7950 512mbCH Products Yoke & PedalsHead TrackerRC4AShttp://fs2crew.com/linepilot.jpg

Hi,I have also just got LHR2008 version 1.1 from Aerosoft (the latest version) and I also get the out-of-memory error.I should mention that this problem is inherent in the Queen, not the Aerosoft scenery of LHR. I did several test flights today with default FS9 aircraft and the Queen and the OOM error only occurs when flying the Queen - and it occurs with other scenery as well, not just the Aerosoft product. I had no errors at all using default aircraft over LHR2008.That said, I have had the Queen since it was released and have flown hours and hours in it. I also have the Freighter and the 737 full set from the -600 up to the -800/900 product. The Queen is a wonderful product and flies really well especially at high weights.However, my OOM issues are now getting worse and to the point where I'm really looking for a solution. I read about the 3GB fix in the BOOT.INI file and for me using this option on startup produces a failure to start Windows due to a corrupt file in Windows Root (file is referred to as HAD.DLL - the file is not corrupt) and so I cannot boot into the 3GB configuration.Now I'm seriously looking for answers to this. I love to fly the Queen (its my virtual job for goodness sake!) but now the problem is so bad I need a solution.If anyone has any good ideas I'd like to hear them. My system is a Pentium 4, 3.4GHZ CPU, 1GB DDR RAM, 256MB ATI Radion X800XT card, fast hard disk (250GB) Windows XP Pro SP2 all up to date, Illyama 19" monitor. Windows desktop is 1280x1024 and FS is set to the same 1280x1024 resolution. I always fly in Windowed mode. OOMs usually occur after hours of flying, close to the arrival airport or near the landing approach (which leads me to believe it is scenery conflicts that may be part of the problem) although it has happened at 39000 feet after some 7 hours of flying.Going back to the Heathrow scenery, I find it very steady at 16-19 fps mostly although I am having stuttering on the approach to 27R this afternoon which disappears after landing and taxi-ing.Take care - thanks for listening,cheers,Lee

Lee James
Desktop Pilot - www.virtualairlinepilot.org

Instagram - virtualairlinepilot_lee
Check out my Adventure Videos & FS Reviews on YouTube at VirtualAirlinePilot !

spacer.png

Lee,The problem is inherent to running a lot of high resource intensive addons in conjunction with *some* system configurations - it's not specifically related to the 744. We've had people who get the OOM errors do a ton of testing on this and it reproduces with other high end addons like the LDS767, PSS777 and so on too - it's definitely not a problem in our aircraft itself. FS9 default aircraft have almost zero memory and CPU overhead in comparison to our stuff.None of us on the PMDG dev team have ever seen the OOM error, so it's very hard for us to even attempt to do anything about it because we can't see it happen in our debuggers. The fact that it only happens to a small number of people though indicates a localized issue or a conflict with particular combinations of addons, not a generic flaw in the 744's code.The only thing I can really suggest is to try adding another GB of RAM - most people are using 2GB and I think it's the optimal configuration for FS9.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest D17S

Make sure your XP (or Vista) Page File (virtual memory setting) is set to "System managed size." (Control panel > System> Advanced> Performance> Advanced> Virtual Memory> Change)These OMM CTDs are not about physical ram. The op system and the program will communicate to determine how much ram they are forecasting will be needed by that program. This forecast *Not actual ram usage* can go above 2 gig. If it does, you will get an immediate OOM program shutdown.The second 2 gigs, (above the program's 2 gigs) is used by the op system. Using the 3 gig switch allows the program to forecast into an extra gig of the program's memory forecasting area. Risky business, if you ask me! Again, this is all allocations and forecasting. This would go on even if you had 256Megs on board. This has nothing to do with physical ram. (Although, you really will enjoy an extra gig-O-ram. That's for sure. Your machine will feel like a kid again.:)Http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=3060 The vista guys are having an especially hard time with this. Anyone running Vista, here's the patch: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940105

Ryan,>>The problem is inherent to running a lot of high resourceintensive addons in conjunction with *some* systemconfigurations - it's not specifically related to the 744. We've had people who get the OOM errors do a ton of testing onthis and it reproduces with other high end addons like theLDS767, PSS777 and so on too - it's definitely not a problemin our aircraft itself. FS9 default aircraft have almost zeromemory and CPU overhead in comparison to our stuff.None of us on the PMDG dev team have ever seen the OOM error,so it's very hard for us to even attempt to do anything aboutit because we can't see it happen in our debuggers. The factthat it only happens to a small number of people thoughindicates a localized issue or a conflict with particularcombinations of addons, not a generic flaw in the 744's code.The only thing I can really suggest is to try adding anotherGB of RAM - most people are using 2GB and I think it's theoptimal configuration for FS9.<) so maybe I'll bite the bullet and re-install FS onto the new 80GB drive I now have (my C: drive is 250GB). Currently, the thinking seems to be that 2GB of RAM would not really help since FS9 is still both CPU and Graphics Memory intensive with RAM being only a small part of the equation.I use DiskKeeper to keep the C: and F: drives (hard disks) defragmented but the problem occurs randomly, anywhere from four to eleven hours during flight - but it happens a lot close to landing approach when very near to airports. I do a lot of rebooting FS and landing offline (don't want to screw up the controller's management of aircraft or other people's landings). Strangely enough this has never happened with the 737NG.I'm wondering if a re-install of the PMDG "set" would be in order? (737 then the 744 then the Freighter?) I'm kind of poking at straws here. Anyway, appreciate you taking the time to answer my comments.Take care,regards,Lee

Lee James

spacer.png

Hello Sam,>Make sure your XP (or Vista) Page File (virtual memorysetting) is set to "System managed size." (Control panel >System> Advanced> Performance> Advanced> Virtual Memory>Change)These OMM CTDs are not about physical ram. The op system andthe program will communicate to determine how much ram theyare forecasting will be needed by that program. This forecast*Not actual ram usage* can go above 2 gig. If it does, youwill get an immediate OOM program shutdown.The second 2 gigs, (above the program's 2 gigs) is used by theop system. Using the 3 gig switch allows the program toforecast into an extra gig of the program's memory forecastingarea. Risky business, if you ask me! Again, this is allallocations and forecasting. This would go on even if you had256Megs on board. This has nothing to do with physical ram.(Although, you really will enjoy an extra gig-O-ram. That'sfor sure. Your machine will feel like a kid again.:)<

Lee James

spacer.png

Guest D17S

First. I do not know what is wrong with your system. However, MS knows more ram won't fix this but add another gig anyway. You'll thank us. No fancy stuff with the page file. Just leave it where ever XP put it and set the page file size to 'system controlled.' It is it unlikely that moving data from one hardrive to another will help much. This is happening in the operating system's "kernel." I doubt the kernel much cares what HD the data is coming from. Here's your troubleshoot: For instance, I can duplicate OOM error shutdowns At Will with my system. I turn FSX up to 'sliders fully to the right.' My system is massively overwhelmed at these settings. In this intentionally exacerbated environment, I just let the game stagger along at 1 FPS for a bit. I can see it coming. In 1-2 minutes, I can the allocation go from 1.5 to 1.7, to 1.9, here it comes, 2.011, Bam . . . OOM program shut down. Every time. BTW, for these test runs, I had 4 gigs of physical ram installed. Here's the program where you can actually monitor the kernel's ram usage projection for each program you have running.(Note: Each program can have up to 2GB of ram use projected. Have 10 programs running? You can have 10x2=20GB of ram allocated, with only 128Mb of physical ram on board! In other words, watch only the allocation number for the FS9 program.) This is Anandtech's 1st article that explains how to use this program: http://www.anandtech.com/gadgets/showdoc.aspx?i=3034&p=4 There is a link to the program on that page:http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspxSet it up, get it running and go to work. You have something running in your FS9 environment that is demanding (causing the kernel to project) more ram usage than ANY 32 bit operating system has available (AKA the 2 gig limit). What is it? I do not know. Use this tool to find it. I'd start by deactivate ALL addon scenery, or if you are still getting the error, a fresh FS9 install. Now, fly the same route that is causing the error. Start up Process Explorer and monitor it In Real Time. Fly along. Watch "Virtual Size." When this hits 2GB, you will get the OOM shutdown. Is is behaving (so far) and staying below 2GB? Good. Now load up some glorious, obscure scenery addon. Still OK? This could be a combination-of-addon-scenery problem. Keep going till you find the offender(s). Good luck.