Sign in to follow this  
rgamurot

CH or Seitek rudder pedals?

Hi Everyone. I'm in the market for both rudder pedals. I was planning on getting everything from Seitek but I've heard a few bad reviews about their rudder pedals. CH got tons of good reviews but I was wondering what the consensus is here. Basically all I want is something that will last and has good braking action.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png

Guest sunbear

Ryan,I have the Saitek pedals and love them. They have an adjustable wheel to vary the tension to fit your style of flying and are of course USB supported.I just hope their Yoke meets my expectations as the current one's on the market are a joke. Let's hope for the best and see what they come up with.Regards,jack

Ryan:Can't comment on the Saiteks but I have been using the CH pedals for years- first in serial and now USB- simple, rugged and work great! Relatively inexpensive to boot. Wait a bit, you might get feedback on the Saiteks, but you won't go wrong with the CH. I use FSUIPC to control, disabling all joysticks in FS9- and that gives me softening on the various axis- in RC we call it Exponential- but whatever you call it- it improves the feel.Let us know what you end up with and how you like it.Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Guest Jambo

HiI have both, having only just brought the Saitek ones.I have used the Ch ones for years, but of recent they seem to gain a lot of noise and I had to use Fsupic quite a bit to callobrate them to stop getting the brakes keep coming on. seemed that they obviously getting old in that just resting your feet on them seemed to activate them sometimes, and had to almost push feet back on them to get them to read 0. Apart from that they were good and having dedicated rudder pedals really is a must to use FS to its full, flying heavey or probably even more so GA.The Saitek im still getting used to, but here in the UK they are cheaper to buy and do feel real good, as mentioned the "Stiffness" of them can be adjusted to suit your requirements. The only thing I would say which isnt as good as the CH ones is their ability to not slide on a tiled floor. The room I use them in isnt carpeted and they seem to not stick to the floor quite aswell as the CH ones did, especially when you have the stiffness set higher. In the box you do get two adehsive velcro strips to overcome this problem if you want to stick one to your floor! I imagine on other floors this wouldnt be a problem or even less so on a lower "stiffness" setting, however saying this they arent really slippy just sometimes, and im sure a couple of rubber feet from a hardware store will help. Otherwise I am really pleased with them, like i say they are cheaper, feel good, i like the ability to adjust the "stiffness" and I dont get any noise in the sim from them so no unwanted braking or steering occurring. so less time messing about in fsupic or FS calibration if you use that instead to set things up.Hope it helps, either way what ever you choose you will love the benefits of using dedicated rudder pedals to fly!James Carr(EGBB ATCO)

Thanks everyone for your replies. I was looking at the reviews on Amazon.com and the CH set has the better reviews. There were issues with Saitek's durability. CH is also cheaper there by about $25. It does look like CH does wear out after a couple of years but any set would. Despite the reviews and replies here, I'm still having trouble choosing. Anyone else have their 2 cents to drop in?Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png

Guest Jambo

>Thanks everyone for your replies. I was looking at the>reviews on Amazon.com and the CH set has the better reviews. >There were issues with Saitek's durability. CH is also>cheaper there by about $25. It does look like CH does wear>out after a couple of years but any set would. >>Despite the reviews and replies here, I'm still having trouble>choosing. Anyone else have their 2 cents to drop in?>>Ryan Gamurot>Lucky to live Hawai'i>>http://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.pngIf i was to comment on durability, I'd say that you were more likely to snap the Saiteks plastic parts physically than the CH, but in terms of the the internals then the saitek is better put together, and less likely to get the probelms of noise I get on my CH ones, which is very very annoying, nothing worse than performing a perfect landing only to get differential braking and swerve off the runway! or have RTO come on when taking off!Having owned both now I would say get the Saitek, i'd shop around some more, because my saiteks were cheaper than my CH ones.James Carr(EGBB ATCO)

Guest Steve_Park

I too have had the CH rudder pedals for years before they went belly up. Started with just the left toe brake quit working, then the rudder function started getting real flaky....I did lot's of research also and everyone I spoke with about the Saiteks had good thing's to say. I was also a little put off with the list price, but a quick google search found them for under $100 USD, which is less than the $109 which is pretty standard and what I paid for the CH pedals. In fact, you can get them direct from Saitek online store reconditioned by Saitek for $79.00. I am still getting pretty good service out of the CH Yoke, but need to feed it a stead dose of silicon spray to keep it from sticking, so hope the Saitek Yoke is as good as it look's.The only downside I see to the Saitek rudder pedals is the short USB cable. It's OK if your PC case on on the floor, but you have to use an extention cable to get it to desktop.Steve Park

I have the CH pedals and while they were nice to start with they are getting past it now after about 1 year. They always pull the plane to the left on taxi and they are very touchy no matter what calibration is used. Also the rudder no longer goes completely to the right anymore. If you watch the calibration it goes about 3/4 over and then goes the other 1/4 over about 10 seconds.http://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa475.png

I wish I read the last three posts before I bought the CH system. For now though, it works nicely. It takes a bit of getting use to but it is a nice system. Then again I've only used it on 1 1/2 flight so far. Well when this one starts to go (hopefully many years into the future) I'll give Saitek a try. Then again, there may be a new set out on the market by then.Ryan GamurotLucky to live Hawai'ihttp://www.virtualpilots.org/signatures/vpa296.png

Ryan, don't be disappointed with your purchase. I've had my CH pedals (and yoke) for about 5 years, and they still work just as good as when I first got them! No, I'm not lying. I will say I'm very easy on the things I own. I've probably got the sensitivity set higher than a large group of people too, and that helps not be so aggressive in my maneuvering. I also don't use the pedals for car games or anything but the sim.If I have any problems, once and a while the pedals will seem as though they stick internally, although you don't feel it physically, you will notice the plane isn't able to taxi without pulling. A quick check in the calibration setting will reveal the yaw part of the pedals where they slide are acting as though they don't want to center. I've discovered that taking some compressed air into the four holes created when you work them back and forth and then actually working them back and forth a bit they will go back to full response, no actual calibration needed and it has never lasted more than 30 seconds after I work them out.I really don't understnad so many people saying they are not pleased with them. I've seen people say they look cheap and feel cheap. I don't get that impression at all. They are heavy enough to stay in place and have a very rigid plastic, so I don't see the problem, considering I have firearms with "plastic" and they hold up :(Even my yoke has been great and flawless. The yoke only needs some application of lubricant once every six months max, although a thicker silicone works the best and lasts longer. I use the kind that's made for swimming pools since it's thick and I can work how much to use and this even creates a sense of smooth resistance that prevents any excessive sensitivity problems with pitch.

- Chris

Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | Intel Core i9 13900KF | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB | 64GB DDR5 SDRAM | Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling | 1TB & 2TB Samsung Gen 4 SSD  | 1000 Watt Gold PSU |  Windows 11 Pro | Thrustmaster Boeing Yoke | Thrustmaster TCA Captain X Airbus | Asus ROG 38" 4k IPS Monitor (PG38UQ)

Asus Maximus VII Hero motherboard | Intel i7 4790k CPU | MSI GTX 970 4 GB video card | Corsair DDR3 2133 32GB SDRAM | Corsair H50 water cooler | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD (2) | EVGA 1000 watt PSU - Retired