Sign in to follow this  
Vauban

Who uses the virtual cockpit, when and how?

When I first installed the 737 NG many months ago, I took one look at the virtual cockpit and decided not to use it, mostly because reading the guage labels was difficult unless you carefully adjusted your viewpoint for each control. And being new I needed to be able to read everything clearly.Obviously PMDG have spent a lot of development time getting the VC to the standard it's at and there's sure to be a reason for doing it.So I'm asking how many people make use of the VC, and how do they handle getting the views right for operating the various panels? Clearly you'll need to zoom in and out a lot to get close to the controls. Is the best solution to assign the mouse wheel for that?And you'll have to swing around the cockpit a lot to get to the various panels. Or do you use the 2D panels for the detailed work of setting up and the VC for the rest?So, basically, do you use it, and if so when, and how?Thanks for your help.Geoff

Geoffrey Kent

Geoff,In my opinion, the VC is the best way to use the simulator, in fact I use nothing but the VC. With the VC you get an appreciation for where the controls are, how they actually look in a 3D environment and how they are used. For me the 2D flightdeck is completely redundant now as I never use it. Most VC's have complete functionality in them, the 747 does.. this is the A/C I used the most.As for making it easier.. well PMDG recommend you use active camera, and this is a must have if you're using the VC.http://secure.simmarket.com/product_info.php?products_id=557Using the mouse you can use the right mouse buttom to then move the head like you would normally, and the flow is so much easier.. You can also use the scroll button to zoom in to the panels..I have now also splashed out on the TrackIR, which tracks head movement within the VC.. this should be a secondary step after you've got used to active camera in my view.. The active camera program will bring your VC to life though. I guarantee, once you're using it with active camera.. you'll be delighted..RegardsCraig

Craig Read, EGLL

I haven't got a consensus yet, but it's great to hear that the VC is usable - I do like the look of it. So I'll get the AC demo and see how I get on with it. I'm sure I'll like it and if not I'll take Ryan's approach.Cheers and thanksGeoff

Geoffrey Kent

I use the virtual cockpit exclusively in all my aircraft. I actualy closed the the 2d panel window and saved my default flight like that so none of my aircraft have 2D cockpit. I use Track IR 3.0 which allows me to move my virtual view with natual movements of my head, eg. look left view looks left in cockpit, look down view looks down.Richard

Guest hangar744

I only use VC with Track IR 4.0 Pro. Don't even remember the last time I saw 2D.regards,delcom

I'm also using VC only. Instead of Active Camera or Track IR I use a freeware utility called "F1 view". It's available at the flight1 site in the free file library.Active Camera causes some problems with other payware add ons....PeteEHAM

Guest thx1137

I use VC most of the time with TrackIR 4. The only time I don't is when I want to be able to read something easier, like the CDU. One of the reasons I am hanging out of for PMDG's FSX releases is because I hope things like CDU and overheads are better quality than some of their competitors so I don't have to use 2D at all. Going by the screenies it looks promising.Steven.

OK, I now have Active Camera and it certainly makes life easier, but I'm having problems using the VC exclusively. For example, the digits on the speed, heading, altitude indicators are not clear - I can't distinguish a 0 from an 8, for example, and the FMC display is also not at all clear.So I assume all you VC users pull up the appropriate panel - MCP, FMC, Overhead, etc, when you want to do anything.If you don't pull up the appropriate panel, I find operating some of the control knobs is more difficult than in the 2D cockpit. How do you handle rapid changes to, say, altitude? Do you Ctrl+Shift+F7 so your mouse wheel no longer zooms but controls the gauge, or do you hold the left mouse button and wait for the altitude setting to creep around to where you want it.I'm sure I'm going to want to stay with the VC, I just need a few pointers to ease me into it.Thanks for any advice.Geoff

Geoffrey Kent

Guest thx1137

Well, I usuall move the virtual seat closer to the panel (zoom in a little) so the panel isn't so far away, if I still want to see something more clearly then I move my head forward (TrackIR). The one 2d window I will bring up if I want to make changes or view for extended periods is the CDU.Hotspots can be a problem while clicking because a small head movement means you have to find the click spot again, you can assign a stick button to toggle TrackIR on and off to prevent this.Steven.

I use it for start up and taxying then switch to the 2D for takeoff as you can see the instruments more clearly and the frame rate is better. Then for landing I use the virtual cockpit when the automatics are in but then switch to the 2D when I take over. Once on the ground it is back to VC for the taxi in. Tom P

I fly VC only and have for the past 2 years. For FS9 I use preset views with Active Camera, using FSUIPC to map them to the hat switch on the yoke and other switches on my throttle quadrant. Even for the CDU I just move forward and in (like I was leaning forward and looking down) and save that as a preset. That way, when I action the switch, it moves forward and down as though I were. When I lean back (normal forward view) it does that as well.....nice!I am starting to learn FSX and I think there is a way to map view presets to switches, I haven't figured it all out yet. Obviously there is the FSUIPC option there as well- and that will probably be where I end up for ease of use!Used to have TrackIR 4 but sold it recently- never did use it for anything except the RealAir Spit. Will probably try it again at some point- just not yet....Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Of course - I've read about setting up keys to store views, but it didn't occur to me to use that for the instrument panels. I'll give it a try. But what about the mouse wheel - do you keep it for zoom the whole time?Geoff

Geoffrey Kent

Geoff- I never use the wheel zoom, disabling it in Active Camera. My presets are close enough to work well. I keep the same general button presses for each airframe so that anytime I want to look at the CDU (or GPS in a/c without) it is always DOWN on the left switch of my TQ. The MCP (or radio stack in a/c) without is always the right rocker on my yoke. The center pedestal is always DOWN on the second switch on my TQ while looking straight down to adjust seat position is UP on the same switch. Parking brake on every a/c is DOWN on the right most switch on the TQ. Throttles and cutoff switches are LEFT on the right rocker on the yoke. The overhead is up on the hat and my preset front view is ALWAYS down on the hat in EVERY a/c. You get the idea........What I like are the smooth transitions, so when I action the MCP it is just like I leaned a bit forward and right and when I go back to front view it is like I'm leaning back. The center pedestal is lovely because the view smoothly transitions between forward and turning right and down, exactly as I would be "looking" at it in real life- so the view is almost diagonal across the screen, to give me the proper perspective. Approaching the active I can look at the pedestal, squawk mode C (TA only on TCAS), action the no smoking switch to ding the cabin and double check the autobrake is at RTO, look up to turn on inboard landing lights and strobes, and then prior to throttle up can glance over to press recall for the final check. Works superbly!I find that AC works best for me (for now)- couldn't get used to keeping my head still in TrackIR, and hitting a pause switch for every key press didn't work for me. On a 24" LCD the PFD and ND are large enough to work with without having to click them to separate and enlarge them. Good luck!Best-Carl F. Avari-Cooper BAW0225http://online.vatsimindicators.net/980091/523.png

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Wow, thanks Carl - you've given me a lot to think about. I'll experiment and get everything set up and let you know how I get on.In trying to position the camera before saving its position I found moving the camera incrementally left and right impossible. I want to inch sidedways using Numpad 4 or 6 and the camera jumps maybe 30 cms left or right. Is there an adjustment I've missed?Geoff

Geoffrey Kent